Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the a/c smell like bum pee when you first turn it on? This has been the car with both my 2016 Base & 2019 + cars...I can't ever remember having this issue with any other car I've owned before. That being said, perhaps it is to do with the climate of San Diego where I live....any ideas of cause or how to get rid of it?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Also check to make sure the drain tube isn't clogged. That water can get pretty funky.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And make sure you don't have the A/C on recirculation all the time, especially when the car is turned off. You should always make sure you have it set to outside air before you turn the car off, otherwise it gets really humid (hence mildewy) in the vents.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Any rodents nesting in the engine bay?
Great point! My friend had a dead rat that had been "cooking" on the manifold for a few weeks. Oh man did that stink.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Replace the cabin air filter (behind the glove box probably) with an activated carbon one from amazon. You’re probably looking at mildew/mold in the compressor and/or lines. IF you want to, you can turn your AC on high, open up your doors or windows, take a Lysol type product and spray it into the vents between the hood and windshield (make sure its not on recirculate first), pause, spray again, pause, spray again, then let it sit for an hour. Next, turn back on the car, let the AC run awhile, remove the filter and let it run a little while longer (so you don’t get Lysol residue on The new filter), then put the new filter in. This method kinda works for awhile, but honestly once the AC system starts getting funky it never goes away permanently.

I’ve also taken my car to a place where they did something similar with a product made for that purpose. A machine sits on the floorboards and sprays stuff into the vents below the dash (recirculating intake vents). It made my car smell weird, and the moldy smell returned pretty quickly, so not worth the price.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the charcoal cabin filter with my 2016, that didn't really help. I bought my 2019 end of last March, I don't really imagine that a car filter needs changing every 9-10 months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts