Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I sound ignorant. I've had my 2020 Soul EX for three months and my manual is still in the plastic. (I baby this car trying to practically keep it "mint in box".)
I know that there's that "A" button bottom and to the left of steering wheel and I know that it is somehow related to that interesting feature of the car turning off while stopped at a light, for instance.

OK, well, I've noticed recently - the past week, but I suspect longer - that I or my local Kia dealer from whom I get service - must've hit some switch of whatever, but the engine no longer stops at a light. I noticed that whenever that happened, the "A" by the speedometer would go green. I haven't seen that green (nor has the car stopped at a light) for about a week or two now. My pressing the "A" switch doesn't seem to have much effect. When the "A" does appear by the speedometer (and the "A" switch is lit), the "A" is orange.

So, I am wondering what do I have to do to get that feature back.
I know - read the manual - and I should - but I am just so busy during my free time that I haven't done it yet. I am hoping to over Thanksgiving break.

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I got my answer and I must've been wrong about the "A" switch... It's "A OFF". (I recently had cataracts surgery so I don't wear readers while driving...)

HOWEVER, what is not mentioned in the article but that may be part of the issue is that it is within the last couple of weeks that I started to use the seat warmer. I suspect this is why Auto Start/Stop doesn't engage now. (Even when I had the A OFF switch off (so Auto Start/Stop was engaged), I wasn't getting that start/stop at a light....

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think I got my answer and I must've been wrong about the "A" switch... It's "A OFF". (I recently had cataracts surgery so I don't wear readers while driving...)

HOWEVER, what is not mentioned in the article but that may be part of the issue is that it is within the last couple of weeks that I started to use the seat warmer. I suspect this is why Auto Start/Stop doesn't engage now. (Even when I had the A OFF switch off (so Auto Start/Stop was engaged), I wasn't getting that start/stop at a light....
Yeah, that's it. The seat warmer is a heavy draw on the battery, so the ISG is shut off when the seat warmer is on. There's a whole list of conditions under which the ISG is disabled. There's a list of them in the owner's manual. When it's off for one of those reasons, your engine won't shut off at lights. Me? I push the button every time I start the car, so ISG never shuts the engine off. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much. This is very good to know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I leave ISG on for most of my daily driving, it gives me about a 5mpg increase, and have adapted to it's quirks. If I want it off, I just move the shifter to the left.

CA is correct, there are a bunch of conditions that will prevent the engine from turning off, all of them good from my perspective. The easiest thing to do, is just let it do it's thing. If it decides it's time to shut off, it will. If it's not, it won't. There's been a lot of R&D time and money spent on these systems, and though they aren't perfect, once you get used to them they are pretty great.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
you can download a copy of the owners manual in pdf format from the Kia US site, then you can still keep your manual "still in the plastic". 😁

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sure wish I could find how to shut off this feature for good. It makes me want to set the car on fire.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Don't read much, do you? (and you've been here for three years +)

I've told how I permanently disabled my own ISG, without Voiding my car's warranty.
And for my efforts, I've been ridiculed, poo poo'd and made fun of. So I won't do it again.
Search! Search! Search!

:cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't read much, do you? (and you've been here for three years +)

I've told how I permanently disabled my own ISG, without Voiding my car's warranty.
And for my efforts, I've been ridiculed, poo poo'd and made fun of. So I won't do it again.
Search! Search! Search!

:cool:
Yup, I read a bunch. Is there a reason for being a dick? We discussed your "fix". IIRC, you stuck some sort of cardboard or somn other in there to mash the button. Also, if you remember, I didn't prefer that method on my brand new car, but that's just me. I din't make fun of you or anything of the sort. No need to get butthurt because not everyone loves your ideas or "fixes". Been working on all of my won vehicles for many years. Not all fixes are good ones.

You can search if ya want. It's America.

And 3+ years without much interaction. Notice that part? Yeah, cuz most on here tend to want to do the keyboard warrior thing and be a dick. No thanks. Keep on...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can download a copy of the owners manual in pdf format from the Kia US site, then you can still keep your manual "still in the plastic". 😁
Thanks so much for that!
Now I will some good reading for lunch!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts