Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for roof racks for my new soul all over and not seeing anything i liked, I went to a junk yard and picked up a late model roof rack off of a ford minivan, noticed the same rack on a 98 explorer too. Anyway cost me 10 bucks.
a shot of flat black, and a few tapped and siliconed holes in the roof, I think it came out awesome. I used all the original hardware.
I had to write this tonight because I just finished it, I will post photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you're gonna have a bunch of guys waiting on your pics just like they wait for their playboy magazines to show up -
Yeah, and if it looks good, there's gonna be a bunch of guys going to the junkyard after work tomorrow to see if they can find a '98 Ford with the right sized roof!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
They look great! Almost like they were meant to be there from the factory. For $10 its bloody amazing! Have you noticed extra wind noise? I assume the cross bars slide back and forth, so these would fit with a sunroof?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look great! Almost like they were meant to be there from the factory. For $10 its bloody amazing! Have you noticed extra wind noise? I assume the cross bars slide back and forth, so these would fit with a sunroof?
Thanks I am very happy. I havent noticed anything yet, but I only have a mile drive to work, so I havent gotten it over 40 yet.
the front does not slide, only the back one.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
That looks fabulous, a really good find. One thing i would say tho is that i think the racks that bolt onto the roof panel like yours can carry less weight than the ones that fix into or onto the roof black strips. So double check the figures before you load up. But i will say again - it looks like it grew there!....well done.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Nice find and install! Since I have a sunroof it might not be something I want though. Did you have to do anything inside under the headliner?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
i think you need to show us a pic of the bonnet graphic too!....is it a wrap or airbrushed?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
That is quite amazing. You could just be the saviour of all US roof-rackless Souls on a tight budget.

I'm sure people would like to see a blow by blow picture set of how you fitted it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I am very happy. I havent noticed anything yet, but I only have a mile drive to work, so I havent gotten it over 40 yet.
the front does not slide, only the back one.
Took it out and put her up to 80 with out so much of a whistle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice find and install! Since I have a sunroof it might not be something I want though. Did you have to do anything inside under the headliner?
I didn't do anything under, I just drilled and tapped with a 1/4" and used the same bolts I got off the junker. I just washed everything up, and got some trim paint, which is a flat black, and gave it all a coat.
put everything together and then put it on the roof, lined it all up and marked the holes and drilled. I also filled each hole with clear silicone before putting the bolts in. Then just hand tightened them (didn't want to strip the thread).

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
looks very good, but I would be very nervous about drilling into the roof and like tempest said would reduce the load capacity as its not in the area it was designed for. I would suspect it would also involve removing all the roof lining.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks !!
Looks great & stock !

Already located one here, but they want 20 bucks !

No real plan to use it as a roof rack per say, for now it would just a cosmetic upgrade

:)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts