Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this radio to upgrade my stock, base head unit, and upon installing, I noticed this female harness but can't seem to find out what it's for and if I can buy it; both on here and using the Google.

Would anyone know what this harness is for? (circled)

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I bought this radio to upgrade my stock, base head unit, and upon installing, I noticed this female harness but can't seem to find out what it's for and if I can buy it; both on here and using the Google.

Would anyone know what this harness is for? (circled)
View attachment 136202
You don't say which unit you have purchased,but if it is the unit with navigation don't even try. It an all but impossible swap. As you have already discovered, the unit requires an extra harness which is not installed in the base car.
Most car makers use a common harness in all their models and leave the unused plugs free, KIA apparently does not they use a model specific harness.

Pat

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't say which unit you have purchased,but if it is the unit with navigation don't even try. It an all but impossible swap. As you have already discovered, the unit requires an extra harness which is not installed in the base car.
Most car makers use a common harness in all their models and leave the unused plugs free, KIA apparently does not they use a model specific harness.

Pat
I mentioned at the beginning that this is unit I purchased. It's currently in my base with the radio/Sirius functioning perfectly as the base harness fits. I just didn't see a harness for that port when installing.

To answer the other question, no, it doesn't have navigation, which is why I bought this one. I have Waze on my phone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the one, it is communication and rear back up camera
Where did you find that and does it have part numbers for the wiring? That may be the piece to solving how to add the factory backup camera to base models.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm a tech at a dealer. I have access to KGIS and all wiring diagrams, connectors etc. You would need an entire new dash harness, rear harness etc.. the cameras talk on a can- bus signal like most the other modules. You ha e 3 types of communication systems, high speed can, low speed can and lin bus for all your modules. You cannot simply add or splice can wires, you sort of can but they're twisted together, can low and can high to avoid interference.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a tech at a dealer. I have access to KGIS and all wiring diagrams, connectors etc. You would need an entire new dash harness, rear harness etc.. the cameras talk on a can- bus signal like most the other modules. You ha e 3 types of communication systems, high speed can, low speed can and lin bus for all your modules. You cannot simply add or splice can wires, you sort of can but they're twisted together, can low and can high to avoid interference.
I've actually found the rear harness part number through researching KiaPartsNow and reading the descriptions. May I ask for the part number for the dash wiring harness? I'd like to see if I can attempt this as I've added a bunch of other factory accessories that involved wiring and doing some custom lighting projects.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That will be difficult. I don't have part numbers and if I do find part numbers it may give me five options and I would not know which one fits what. Basically I give my parts guy the work order and he looks up the harnesses or whatever I need by VIN which will have the correct options for the car, only thing I run into that the VIN doesn't recognize for options is things that are related to whether the car has California or Fed emissions etc.. You may need to source this from a wrecking yard. I worked at one back like 25 years ago and dash harnesses usually got tossed as no one bought one, that may still be the case so you might be able to get one cheap if you find a yard that has a Soul plus sitting there. Going off memory I can't recall but a lot of these things go through the SJB and the BCM and you may need compatible ones for that as well and then have to program your key fob to it but that is easily done with after market scanners, only ones you need a pin code for are the smart key with immobilizer unless you have a factory remote start at which point you can program it yourself at home with no tools. I don't know if you could make an aftermarket camera work with the factory radio, Kia rear cameras work on 6.5 volts and send a can video signal.
I know I have seen all the info I have on KGIS uploaded on here before, someone uploaded a huge PDF before that they bought on Ebay of all the factory manuals and diagrams hence why I share what I can find as it is not as if I am disclosing info you can't find on here already. I'll help where I can but I think this is quite the project if you want a factory retrofit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That will be difficult. I don't have part numbers and if I do find part numbers it may give me five options and I would not know which one fits what. Basically I give my parts guy the work order and he looks up the harnesses or whatever I need by VIN which will have the correct options for the car, only thing I run into that the VIN doesn't recognize for options is things that are related to whether the car has California or Fed emissions etc.. You may need to source this from a wrecking yard. I worked at one back like 25 years ago and dash harnesses usually got tossed as no one bought one, that may still be the case so you might be able to get one cheap if you find a yard that has a Soul plus sitting there. Going off memory I can't recall but a lot of these things go through the SJB and the BCM and you may need compatible ones for that as well and then have to program your key fob to it but that is easily done with after market scanners, only ones you need a pin code for are the smart key with immobilizer unless you have a factory remote start at which point you can program it yourself at home with no tools. I don't know if you could make an aftermarket camera work with the factory radio, Kia rear cameras work on 6.5 volts and send a can video signal.
I know I have seen all the info I have on KGIS uploaded on here before, someone uploaded a huge PDF before that they bought on Ebay of all the factory manuals and diagrams hence why I share what I can find as it is not as if I am disclosing info you can't find on here already. I'll help where I can but I think this is quite the project if you want a factory retrofit.
Ok, I'll see what I can find as I've searched on here and the aftermarket cameras are what usually come up. I know you have to use a voltage step-down in order to install an aftermarket one. Thank you for your input. I'm going to check out junk yards since I think that's the cheapest route to source wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you still not figured it out my answer may help you. Based on the snap it seems like a AMBA1B2AN. That is a 16 pin female connector. I found from an another blog it can be used for installing rear view camera. The plug can be bought from ali express for 8$.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you still not figured it out my answer may help you. Based on the snap it seems like a AMBA1B2AN. That is a 16 pin female connector. I found from an another blog it can be used for installing rear view camera. The plug can be bought from ali express for 8$.
I wanted to install a factory camera but I went to a junk yard and found it's more trouble than it's worth. Thank you though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts