1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,612 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
These units are all Chinese and quality is hit and miss, also there is no local service so in the event of needing service or warranty unit needs to be shipped at owners expense to China, so you will be left with a hole in the dash for weeks, and in some cases months. Customer service is also usually abysmal. You can find all sorts of horror stories on various car forums about these units, they go under different names so buyer beware. Personally in an aftermarket unit I would opt for a brand name like Pioneer, Kenwood , JVC.

Pat.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
656 Posts
Personally in an aftermarket unit I would opt for a brand name like Pioneer, Kenwood , JVC.
Well said. In event of factory service, I would expect time to be months (I buy stuff from China, and it can take a month or more to arrive if you don't pay for expedited $$hipping). But note I've noticed that in GPS forums, Pioneer seems to have a bad rep (don't know about the others). On the other hand, a lot of "Brand X" Chinese GPS gear uses iGo software, and that software isn't bad (and new maps aren't hard to find).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No they have a California Office
These units are all Chinese and quality is hit and miss, also there is no local service so in the event of needing service or warranty unit needs to be shipped at owners expense to China, so you will be left with a hole in the dash for weeks, and in some cases months. Customer service is also usually abysmal. You can find all sorts of horror stories on various car forums about these units, they go under different names so buyer beware. Personally in an aftermarket unit I would opt for a brand name like Pioneer, Kenwood , JVC.

Pat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right but the only reason I went with this Head is that it looks stock and I did luck out as this company is super great to work with. The upside on a name brand is I can swap out to anycar with a dash kit but again I really like the way it looks stock. I do really recommend this company and this unit. I have had Pioneer, Kenwood & Alpine in other cars but IMO this head is really awesome!My 2 pennies. I really never rave on products but had to on this unit. BTW they have a office in Commerce CA for warranty repairs and tech support along with email support.

Pat.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,612 Posts
Hey inkedup, really like your install..

Can I ask if it was just a matter of unplugging the old & all the wires & plugs went right into the new head unit? Or were there some modifications to be made in order for steering wheel & voice controls to work?

Any thoughts on why Sirius isn't available on so many replacement head units & what any possible workarounds might be?

Great job. Looks terrific.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
If they have a local service center, and good customer service you are definitely ahead. However that isn't the case with most of the Chinese head units.

Pat.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Any thoughts on why Sirius isn't available on so many replacement head units & what any possible workarounds might be?
you can buy a small portable sirius tuner like commander touch and plug it into your existing system. chinese radios are too cheap to pay sirius licensing fees.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It come with a wiring harness bridge the plugs into the stock wiring harness to the new head unit. Plug and play. I wish I would know about Sirius so now I pay $15 for streaming and I downloaded the app to my head unit. I use my spare phone to tether and I can listen to Howard.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alot of aftermarket head units don't have Sirus but some do offer an add on, Most are stock heads that come with Sirus. I've been into car customazation since the 90's and have had all types of Heads but this head for the buck is possibly the best I've had. All the majors have a terible UI with no customazation. People have a notion that China = Cheap but not anymore just like people have a notion that KIA = cheap and to be honest is the best car brand I've owned especially my new '17 Optima.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's actually a DVD player and whats awesome if I need to kill time on the road between Apointments I can go to a Redbox rent a movie for a buck, watch it and return or take it for a day trip and my passenger can watch.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts