Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

YEARS since I drove my Soul from the dealership lot.
Put a few miles on the Soul . . . . . some tough miles too !

With both my jobs requiring short trips about the city & spending an enormous amount of time with car running/idling,
while I'm running a delivering and/or doing paper work & things, so the amount of "hours" on the motor is far more than most Souls.
Car seems very noisy, lots of road noise. Still getting about 25mpg steady.

A/C still blows cold cold cold, it was hot hot hot the other day so I took this picture

Favorite Mods Include :
  • Air Horn
  • HID Headlights
  • Dark Tint
  • Performance Stereo

3 wrecks. 0 traffic tickets
2011 - Back passenger rear, rear-ended ( $ 1100.00 ) no photo
2013 - Front clip ripped off by passing car ( $ 3600.00 )

2015 - Front bumper scratches ( $ 800.00 )

see it happen. . . . . .
[video]https://youtu.be/yK9HdGz1INU?t=1m34s[/video] Skip to about the 1:30 mark

List of Repair’s - Service done in last 7 yrs:

100 miles = Loose Sensor on motor causing rough idle ( w/a 0.00 )
5500 miles = Blown turn signal fuse ( w/a 0.00 )
12,000 miles = one of the front parking light bulbs burnt out, I replaced both
15,000 miles = one headlight, upgraded both with PIAA
25,000 miles = Replaced failed PIAA's with a H.I.D. system
30,000 miles = passenger side mirror motor - motor works but won't move mirror
44,000 miles = Battery - Just under warr by 1 month - ( w/a 0.00 )
52,000 miles = New Tires ( 500.00 ) Yokohamas
58,000 miles = New windshield wipers ( 10.00 )
61,000 miles = Brake light Switch ( under W/A , But I replaced myself @ 22.00 )
71,000 miles = New Windshield (Free) + $ 100.00
80,000 miles = Replaced front brakes, repaint calipers ( 75.00 )
103,000 miles = Timing belt, a/c idler, power steering flush, new water pump ( 1000.00 )
109,000 miles = New Tires, Yokohama’s again ( 550.00 )
111,000 miles = New windshield (Free) + $ 100.00
115,000 miles = New Battery & Spark Plugs
125,000 miles = Both front sway bar links ( 60.00 parts my labor)
140,000 miles = Front passenger wheel bearing replaced ( $300.00)
145,000 miles = E C G plunger sensor ( 120.00 )
155,000 miles = Alternator replaced ( 295.00 my labor)
156,000 miles = Fuel pump replaced ( $ 725.00 )
157,000 miles = New Yokohamas Tires ( 575.00 )
160,000 miles = Front drivers side wheel bearing replaced
161,000 miles = Battery replaced ( $ 110.00 )
165,000 miles = New Windshield (Free) + $ 90.00

Over all titanium paint still looks great, Mirrors are pealing & wiper arms need repainting

Stereo upgrade included a custom speaker box

My Primary job is typewriter service & lately more & more Restoration jobs . . . . Here a recently Restored Underwood model "5" from 1922 -- Before/After --
Many More here @ PHOENIXTYPEWRITER.com --- link ---> Phoenixtypewriter.com

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
or for Canada and other countries using kilometers - 277,876 km :sneakiness:

Impressed with the typewriter restoration. I learned my typing on a manual & electric typewriter in High School, got a certificate for 58 wpm (where they deduct 10 points if you made one single mistake - so not easy). Little did I know at the time that it would pay off in later years with the advent of the computer keyboard which still uses the same format at the typewriter - some designs just work great originally. :sneakiness:

·
Registered
576 Posts
or for Canada and other countries using kilometers - 277,876 km :sneakiness:

Impressed with the typewriter restoration. I learned my typing on a manual & electric typewriter in High School, got a certificate for 58 wpm (where they deduct 10 points if you made one single mistake - so not easy). Little did I know at the time that it would pay off in later years with the advent of the computer keyboard which still uses the same format at the typewriter - some designs just work great originally. :sneakiness:
I learned how to type on a manual typewriter in high school. In order to get an A for the course, you had to type 40 wpm (or greater) without any mistakes. Toward the end of the semester, I was getting close -- 37 wpm, 38 wpm, 36 wpm, etc. Then one day, a classmate brought in the brand-spanking new AC/DC "Back in Black" LP record and put it on the record player. We then had a timed drill, and I was soon typing to Malcolm Young's rhythm guitar for "Hells Bells" and "Shoot to Thrill." When it was all said and done, I typed 42 wpm with no errors. Yep, I got an A in typing. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That was one of the vintage typewriters I acquired . . . and used. Fingers had to be strong for caps with these old models - had to raise the entire carriage usually with pinky. High school typing class had typewriters with blank keys - forced you to learn the keyboard. But typing was one of the best skills I learned (mostly from my mother) and it carried through my working with data to this day.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
11 Posts
The QWERTY keyboard is not the best design for speed or accuracy. The reason the keys are laid out like they are was to prevent the striking keys from jamming when typing fast. Other keyboard designs are better but trying to get everyone to switch over, not so easy. The US still has not adopted the metric system except for soda and booze.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was one of the vintage typewriters I acquired . . . and used. Fingers had to be strong for caps with these old models - had to raise the entire carriage usually with pinky. High school typing class had typewriters with blank keys - forced you to learn the keyboard. But typing was one of the best skills I learned (mostly from my mother) and it carried through my working with data to this day.
My mother also suggested typing class. My class had about 5 boys & 25 girls in 1977
All manual typewriters, only a couple had blank key-tops, I was assigned to one of those :distrust:
Room next door was advance typing & had the IBM selectrics

Another recent restore job . . . .:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
First, great report. Given what mine gets in use, yours will far exceed mine.

Second, I also learned typing in High School. Went on to become a systems administrator/programmer and have used that skill very successfully ever since. Basis of my income comes from typing skills. :)

Third, once you learn on QWERTY keyboards, there is no changing. ... It's so natural now, moving even one key would mess us all up.

Fourth, I used a manual to learn on that looked exactly like the ones Soul Rush has shown. It was my mom's and to get hired by Ma Bell, I had to be able to type 35 WPM error free. I managed to learn to do that in a weekend. Now 65-70 is the norm.

Thanks again for the post, I enjoyed it and it was very informative.

H

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
List of Repair’s - Service done in last 7 yrs:

100 miles = Loose Sensor on motor causing rough idle ( w/a 0.00 )
5500 miles = Blown turn signal fuse ( w/a 0.00 )
12,000 miles = one of the front parking light bulbs burnt out, I replaced both
15,000 miles = one headlight, upgraded both with PIAA
25,000 miles = Replaced failed PIAA's with a H.I.D. system
30,000 miles = passenger side mirror motor - motor works but won't move mirror
44,000 miles = Battery - Just under warr by 1 month - ( w/a 0.00 )
52,000 miles = New Tires ( 500.00 ) Yokohamas
58,000 miles = New windshield wipers ( 10.00 )
61,000 miles = Brake light Switch ( under W/A , But I replaced myself @ 22.00 )
71,000 miles = New Windshield (Free) + $ 100.00
80,000 miles = Replaced front brakes, repaint calipers ( 75.00 )
103,000 miles = Timing belt, a/c idler, power steering flush, new water pump ( 1000.00 )
109,000 miles = New Tires, Yokohama’s again ( 550.00 )
111,000 miles = New windshield (Free) + $ 100.00
115,000 miles = New Battery & Spark Plugs
125,000 miles = Both front sway bar links ( 60.00 parts my labor)
140,000 miles = Front passenger wheel bearing replaced ( $300.00)
145,000 miles = E C G plunger sensor ( 120.00 )
155,000 miles = Alternator replaced ( 295.00 my labor)
156,000 miles = Fuel pump replaced ( $ 725.00 )
157,000 miles = New Yokohamas Tires ( 575.00 )
160,000 miles = Front drivers side wheel bearing replaced
161,000 miles = Battery replaced ( $ 110.00 )
165,000 miles = New Windshield (Free) + $ 90.00
Your repairs are insane.

I'm almost at 120k miles. Bought mine maybe a week after you did. My repair record is nowhere near yours.

Coolant flush at 60k
New brake pads on all four wheels at 70k (I did them myself)
New tires at 70k (all four)
New set of wipers (not sure when but I know I changed them out once)
New spark plugs and spark plug wires at 110k (I did them myself)

That's all I did to mine. I'm still running on the original battery. These tires will need replaced by next year most likely. I'll get my drive belts changed on next years tax return but right now the belts look great with zero cracks.

I do have two cracks in my windshield from rocks hitting while driving but the crack isn't spreading so I'll live with it for now.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your repairs are insane.

I'm almost at 120k miles. Bought mine maybe a week after you did. My repair record is nowhere near yours.

Coolant flush at 60k
New brake pads on all four wheels at 70k (I did them myself)
New tires at 70k (all four)
New set of wipers (not sure when but I know I changed them out once)
New spark plugs and spark plug wires at 110k (I did them myself)

That's all I did to mine. I'm still running on the original battery. These tires will need replaced by next year most likely. I'll get my drive belts changed on next years tax return but right now the belts look great with zero cracks.

I do have two cracks in my windshield from rocks hitting while driving but the crack isn't spreading so I'll live with it for now.
Timing belt was mandatory @ 90K ( does yours need changing too ? )
Brake switch is a recall
Mirror started working by itself
1st real non normal maintenance repair was @ 125,000 (links squeaking)
Seems IMPOSSIBLE that you got 7 years & 120K on original battery ! ! :numbness:
As I mentioned, I do drive that Soul hard & abusively one might say.......

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
timing belt is not mandatory if you don't change it right at 90k, nothing bad will happen. I inspect my belts and see no cracks in any of them. my warranty is long gone anyway so I'm not really following the book anymore.

I forgot I did get the brake switch done in a recall. Need to get that headliner recall done also sometime but haven't had time to take it in and wait 3+ hours. also need the gas cap recall done still. when I took it in for the brake switch, they were out of gas caps. Told them to just mail it to me and they never did. didn't see the need to take it back since my cap is working fine.

still original battery. still starts up nice and fast. I got lucky with my battery I think. I might replace it before winter though because 7 years is a long time. my 2005 ford focus has gone through two new batteries already on top of the factory one and that car only has 102k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Two things that I found interesting: first, that you had both wheel bearings go bad. Second, that you replaced the fuel pump and the alternator within 1k miles of each other. Did both go bad or were you just bored?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two things that I found interesting: first, that you had both wheel bearings go bad. Second, that you replaced the fuel pump and the alternator within 1k miles of each other. Did both go bad or were you just bored?
All seemed unrelated, read on . . . .

1st p-wheelbearing slowly started howling @ about 125K & I looked & didn't pin point for a while, but finally had it replace @ 140K
had my go-to local shop do it, I wanted to do both sides & they checked/inspected it d-s was OK

Happy now, my Soul was quieter than it's been in a while :tongue-new:

Alternator
Night before my "batt" light lit on dash & all seemed fine, My bad should have investigated ! !
Next day/afternoon started car to go to work & drove down street & wouldn't shift out of 1st ( automatic )
Turned around & went home & turned car off to restart & wouldn't re-start
Jumped it & started but gauges were going crazy & still wouldn't shift & began to stall
Brother got home & we charged batt,,,good, determined was alt, we took out, brought to autozone
tested bad, replaced, all was good ! !

Road trip to LasVegas . . . . ( fuel pump ) Copied my Original post:::
Been waiting 6 months for the Rush world tour 2015 to get out here to the west coast & that time has come! Vegas @ MGM Grand 7/25 & then back here in Phoenix on Monday 7/27 for the main event......VIP Box suite tickets & Meet & Greet passes.

You will notice I posted a couple weeks ago the Alternator in my Soul failed & was replaced. Also got car serviced, cleaned & replaced a marginally bad tire in preparation for the road trip to Las Vegas.

So I arrive in Las Vegas & I'm a mile from my hotel on Las Vegas Boulevard ( The Strip ) & my Soul starts stalling, no power at all, some sputtering & backfires & it's all I can do to get over to the right & pull into a non parking area. So 2pm, 105 degrees out & looking under the hood. All I saw & felt was HEAT ! tried starting car & got it running, barely. Tried driving & had no power but would go about 5mph. actually limped it to my hotel's north entrance. Called AAA for help, they sent a tow truck & gave me a list 5 shops close by.....none sounded good. Tow driver shows up in 30 minutes & Soul still wouldn't run. I asked driver/Hector if he knew a good shop. He did & away we went. Shop was hidden in an industrial area & I really gave the owner a once over & explained my situation. He treated me like a priority. went back to the hotel, car-less. If I couldn't get Soul fix until Monday I might have to Fly home & then fly back to Vegas to retrieve my Soul, Yikes !
Well shop called about 6pm & told me it was a bad Fuel Pump & dealer item only & only 1 in Vegas. $ 450.00 for pump, $ 200.00 to install. They had it done about 1 pm Saturday, 6 hours before RUSH concert starts.

So,
What happens in Vegas
Stays in Vegas
( bad Fuel Pump )

BTW, Both Rush Concerts were F A N T A S T I C ! !

Back Home in Phoenix
Replaced all 4 tires, Normal interval , But with the new quieter tires I then could hear the other wheelbearing (d-s)
Brought back to shop & they informed me the yes d-wb is bad but the recently replaced p-wb is also making noise too !!
Replaced BOTH with different brand WB's
Ok, little concerned about the premature failure of the p-side but all seems good !

Then shortly thereafter my Soul slow started & then didn't start
Battery crapped out, just over 2 yrs old
Reluctantly put my 3rd replacement battery in my Soul ! !
The failing alternator & my normal excessive abuse combined with extreme heat here that my car gets,
probably has something to do with my pre-mature battery failures.

That was July 2015
1 year later & no $:greedy_dollars:$ spent since

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Congrats on 7 years with your Soul! And here's to many more! *clink*
Thanks,:victorious:
I keep hearing this commercial for bla bla Kia dealer offering min 6000.00 for any Kia trade-in,:racing2:
"towards any car in our new display lot", so a new Blue or Black Soul is calling my name . . . . .

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I get those trade in offers also. Co-worker of mine actually did do the trade in offer on her Soul. There was a promise of X dollars and when she brought it in, they were saying even the smallest scratches and dings would affect the price. She ended up trading it in for 2/3's the price the offer was for because of a few minor blemishes.

That offer is for a flawless car only which no one has by now.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get those trade in offers also. Co-worker of mine actually did do the trade in offer on her Soul. There was a promise of X dollars and when she brought it in, they were saying even the smallest scratches and dings would affect the price. She ended up trading it in for 2/3's the price the offer was for because of a few minor blemishes.

That offer is for a flawless car only which no one has by now.
This ad says it's a clunker program, so they should be expecting that, but I don't believe either .....
But I have listened closely & I think it in the phrase
"Any car in our new display lot"
Not just any new car, but the ones in the"special lot"
Like a Blue Soul that over loaded for $31,900.oo, yes we will give you 6k for your trade !

My time is so limited right now for me to just take a couple hours to go find out the Truth

The "Truth" is hard to come by, quick example......
I found out Walmart is selling both Brother & Nakajima typewriters that say "Made in USA"
I know these are both Japanese machines & are made in Singapore & other Asian country's, not here !
Walmart has a disclaimed buried in the information page of these typewriter's
(pasted directly from those pages)
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Nakajima AE-710 English Portable Electronic Typewriter

President Trump will fix this..... right !:tongue-new:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts