Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 6 months since I got my car and initially I had reported the paint chips easily. I have to say, based on the 6-months experience this is the cheapest made car i've ever had.

-Paint chips if you look at it hard
-Interior seems to have about the same durability as the exterior
-Engine progressively sounds more like a diesel everyday even though it's not
-Road noise has been progressively increasing (crappy tires maybe?)

I also think these might have the softest plastic i've ever seen on a car for the front and rear nose caps. Even the smallest rocks make huge gouges.

All in all I wish I had my Scion back....while this car is cute it's going to look like one of those old Dodge K cars you see with the paint flaked off the hood in no time. And nope...I don't drive on dirt roads and I pamper my car. I even avoid roads that have loose debris on them when at all possible. The car is just junk as far as quality.

1st and most likely last Kia.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dont make me sad..... i want to stay happy with my soul, im not rich and paying 24,000 for my first new car sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sadly I agree with at least portions of this. I take care to drive on decent roads, and as a point of interest, I have only one small scratch on my interior as I am overly careful with this vehicle. Yet I look at the nose of my car, and I have a plethora of paints chips missing.

I am truly very disappointed with the quality and durability of the paint. Thankfully, I was planning on re-painting the section with all these dings. Sadly, I now have to, as it looks like crap under close inspection.

I've never, ever had a car do this before, and I'm disappointed with that facet alone after only 5,500 miles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I AGREE, for the most part, the quality is not up to par, i just keep reminding myself that I paid <20k for my car and it has a great warranty!

as far as the paint goes, 6k miles and still not a single rock chip or scratch!!!

could it have been the paste wax?

·
Registered
337 Posts
could it have been the paste wax?
Potentially - Make sure you examine very close, though. I had to get up and personal with the car before I noticed, as at a standard walk to the driver's side door didn't reveal anything apparent. But when I looked close... SURPRISE! :eek:

I don't like surprises, by the way...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Potentially - Make sure you examine very close, though. I had to get up and personal with the car before I noticed, as at a standard walk to the driver's side door didn't reveal anything apparent. But when I looked close... SURPRISE! :eek:

I don't like surprises, by the way...
I did, REALLY close! I hand wash and inspected my car for chips, been anticipating stone chips... none yet! WOOT WOOT!

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Sadly I agree with at least portions of this. I take care to drive on decent roads, and as a point of interest, I have only one small scratch on my interior as I am overly careful with this vehicle. Yet I look at the nose of my car, and I have a plethora of paints chips missing.

I am truly very disappointed with the quality and durability of the paint. Thankfully, I was planning on re-painting the section with all these dings. Sadly, I now have to, as it looks like crap under close inspection.

I've never, ever had a car do this before, and I'm disappointed with that facet alone after only 5,500 miles.
it is unbelievable and that in 2009.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Titanium Plus

I have one small scratch on exterior that I must have done while closing the rear ( very small & unnoticable except to ME )

Been waiting for my real FIRST scar

4 month & 8000 miles & looks like new & I am looking closely, waiting, for, that, 1st real damage.

It's a bit disconcerning to hear of this type of premature damage, But I'm not too worried, this IS a cheap car. If you think it a manufacture flaw or just inferior, start complaining to the dealer or KIA.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Kia offers a clear front mask as an accessory. The part number is U8240 2K030.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Clear front mask and clear bra wouldn't help as now i've got chips on the sides. I would have went clear bra right out of the gate but I don't like the way they look on dark colors. I'm also convinced that the paint is so fragile that it wouldn't be able to handle a bra up against it. Especially with the way the factory Soul bra mounts. Pushing vinyl tabs into gaps between body parts isn't a good thing to do if you don't want marks.

Also it's sad that out of all the cars i've owned it's only this one that seems to chip like crazy. Not to mention the progressively noisy engine, oddly increasing road noise and fragile interior.

...oddly enough initially I thought the interior was maybe better than my previous car (only beef I ever had with the previous car). But I was wrong. The Soul is much more prone to marks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually just talked to my dealership today. My soul has 1500km on it, and there isa lot of stone chips on it. They asked if I bought the extra protection, 5 way I think they call it,(which I have) so they told me to call the 800number and see what they say. BUT they figured that it will be covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,014 Posts
I have most of the chips on the hood. I have one chip and a scratch on the tailgate. The scratch looks like someone dragged a finger nail on it. BUT I did notice today that there is a scratch on the drivers rear window. Like it got scratched by the door on the way down.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It's been 6 months since I got my car and initially I had reported the paint chips easily. I have to say, based on the 6-months experience this is the cheapest made car i've ever had.

-Paint chips if you look at it hard
-Interior seems to have about the same durability as the exterior
-Engine progressively sounds more like a diesel everyday even though it's not
-Road noise has been progressively increasing (crappy tires maybe?)

I also think these might have the softest plastic i've ever seen on a car for the front and rear nose caps. Even the smallest rocks make huge gouges.

All in all I wish I had my Scion back....while this car is cute it's going to look like one of those old Dodge K cars you see with the paint flaked off the hood in no time. And nope...I don't drive on dirt roads and I pamper my car. I even avoid roads that have loose debris on them when at all possible. The car is just junk as far as quality.

1st and most likely last Kia.
What color is yours ..... I have had mine ( Java ) just over 5 months , and almost 5,000 miles and have'nt had any problems with the paint ... I don't even have any wash marks , the inside is fine for the most part , a few spots on the door .

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a Java Soul as well,just over 6 months and 6000 miles. Had a small chip on the front edge of the hood and on the edge over the passenger rear wheel and door opening(my kids). Bought the Kia paint pen to touch up. Seems after time and a few coats of wax I haven't had any more. No problems with the plastic front or back,better then the Element I had with the plastic panels. I'm guessing once the salt and sand gets on the roads it will change. But it is no worse then my old Element or my wifes Rav4.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I must agree to some extent with the OP. I too came from a Scion, I felt that Toyota's quality was much much better, my car was an 05 with 65K on it. The Scion with the exception of the paint ( my Scion's paint didn't hold up well) still felt and drove like a new car, I can't say that about my 4 month old Kia.

I like the Soul, but am very disappointed with the interior and the engine/road noise, plus this is the first car that I have ever owned that got worse gas mileage on the highway than it does around town. I don't see me buying another KIA, or even owning this one more than a few years, unless the trade-in value is super low, then I may be stuck with it!

It's just too bad Scion changed so much from the orig. design!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Not a problem with the car at all. Sorry to here that some of our members have such problems. You might want to get rid of the car as fast as you can. You all don't seem happy at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not a problem with the car at all. Sorry to here that some of our members have such problems. You might want to get rid of the car as fast as you can. You all don't seem happy at all. Good luck.
Other than the scratched interior, I have had NO problems with the Soul!

For the most part just minor annoyances, road noise and suspension being the worst. But when I purchased this car, I expected things like this, as it's a low cost car, just as I did when I purchased the Scion a few years back.

The difference being that I was pleasantly surprised in owning the Scion that it proved to be better than my expectations. I can't say the same for the Soul, I got what I expected a low cost car, it does what it's suppose to and looks great which is the reason I purchased it!

As to anyone considering to "get rid of the car as fast as you can" That's an expensive thing to do, and would be foolish unless there are major issues that the dealer / warranty would not cover.

I'm not happy or un-happy, I got what I paid for, I just expected more after owning the Scion!

·
Registered
337 Posts
[...]You might want to get rid of the car as fast as you can. You all don't seem happy at all. Good luck.
Actually, it's this kind of attitude that causes more problems than not. While I'm sure you're perfectly happy you have no problems with your particular vehicle, that doesn't negate the fact that the paint on this car doesn't hold up well at all, and is the worst paint I've had on any vehicle ever.

To think you may not have that problem in the future because it doesn't present itself now is short-sighted. Because your Soul doesn't have this problem for one reason or another doesn't give the rest of us a right to be concerned that our investment is slowly being chipped away? ... pun intended.

Further, your attempted deconstruction of the primary issue(s) in this thread by waving your hand and telling people to get rid of their vehicles is ludicrous. I enjoy my Soul, and have put both time and money into it because I enjoy it. Having a legitimate complaint about it doesn't change that fact.

Stop being childish, and simply don't post if you have nothing constructive to add to a conversation. Attempting to bait people is sophomoric at best.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts