Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
More evidence that it pays to do it yourself and to be educated on your car's systems. Depending on dealers to do your maintenance for you makes you a tempting "fish in a barrel". There is almost no service on your car that you can't find out how to do yourself on youtube.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It was running fine before I took it in. I took it in because it was due for new spark plugs and I'm going to have to drive it across the country when I move at the end of the month.

It was an independent shop in Metairie, Louisiana. After realizing my mistake, I called a dealership nearby to get an estimate on the spark plugs, just to see how much it might've cost me somewhere else, and they told me $250, with another $250 for an intake cleaning (or injection service). Part of my problem was that I didn't know what an intake cleaning was, and I didn't ask for it, but the shop just did it and charged me for it, lumping it in with the spark plugs charge. But even if I had sought out the intake cleaning with the spark plugs, it would have been cheaper at the dealership.

Thanks for the advice. Not military, but I should try to know more about what's happening before I take my car to a shop.
If they did it without asking you in advance, it's free. You didn't authorize them to do it, nor did you inquire about it. Call them out and dispute it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That bugger still looks new!

i agree, but replacing them solved the stutter at idle with the hvac on... so i'm happy with that.

side note, since i learned raw to jet a dirt bike, my two stroke plugs look beer than this ! :-D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed my plugs and coil packs at 100k and did the seafoam injection cleaner. $50 bucks plugs, $175 coils from the local parts store, $8 injector cleaner.
the coils were starting to go bad and it was sputtering from misfires around idle. After the change in runs perfect again. You can get coils online for $56 dollars but I don't know if they are any good.
I hoped they changed the coil packs for that price. diid it all in less than 30 min so the labor shouldn't have been more than an hour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was running fine before I took it in. I took it in because it was due for new spark plugs and I'm going to have to drive it across the country when I move at the end of the month.

It was an independent shop in Metairie, Louisiana. After realizing my mistake, I called a dealership nearby to get an estimate on the spark plugs, just to see how much it might've cost me somewhere else, and they told me $250, with another $250 for an intake cleaning (or injection service). Part of my problem was that I didn't know what an intake cleaning was, and I didn't ask for it, but the shop just did it and charged me for it, lumping it in with the spark plugs charge. But even if I had sought out the intake cleaning with the spark plugs, it would have been cheaper at the dealership.

Thanks for the advice. Not military, but I should try to know more about what's happening before I take my car to a shop.
I am a service writer at Walmart and we do a vavoline intake cleaning for 20$!! And it works wonders I've had it done on my 2013 Kia soul when I get my oil changed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just took my 2013 Soul to a shop for new spark plugs, and they're charging me $560. The car has 90,000 miles on it. Does this price seem high? The mechanic said it's for spark plugs, boots, intake, etc. When I do a search online for average cost estimate, I'm getting a much lower price.
Did they replace the coil packs? That would bump up the cost significantly.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I just changed mine it was so easy n cheap took 30 minutes really
Yeah, it's probably one of the easiest I've ever done, to be honest. On the 1.6, anyway. The 2.0, I'm told, is a bit of a bother, although I've forgotten why. Something apparently has to be moved out of the way, I think.

As for the intake cleaning, I'm a big believer in general; but what most shops do isn't any better than a can of CRC. Which isn't bad, mind you. I'm just not big on paying 10 times what it costs to spray a can of PEA into the system myself.

Richard

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just took my 2013 Soul to a shop for new spark plugs, and they're charging me $560. The car has 90,000 miles on it. Does this price seem high? The mechanic said it's for spark plugs, boots, intake, etc. When I do a search online for average cost estimate, I'm getting a much lower price.
NO Fing Way!! dude they saw you coming. was this at a stealership? BBB and get in the garage's grill with Consumer Affairs. criminal... apparently they did not give you an estimate before they did the job.... wtf

·
Registered
13 Posts
You guys are all upset at $560. My mechanic which is part of a national chain, was going to charge me $1050 for replacing the coils, plugs, wires, cleaning the throttle body and the fuel system cleaning. I said "No Way!!!" and left. I went to the dealership where I bought my Soul, and they wanted $1100 for pretty much the same stuff. The only difference was that they wanted to do a cooling system flush that wasn't needed and not replace the wires. The coolinig flush I had done about 6 months ago. Thank you for encouraging this DIY'er. I do have a question: If I have a misfire, should I also replace both coils to be on the safe side? That's what the dealer told me to do, but I wasn't sure.I think instead of doing the fuel service, I'll just use Sea Foam as suggested earlier. I have used it in the past with good success.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You guys are all upset at $560. My mechanic which is part of a national chain, was going to charge me $1050 for replacing the coils, plugs, wires, cleaning the throttle body and the fuel system cleaning. I said "No Way!!!" and left. I went to the dealership where I bought my Soul, and they wanted $1100 for pretty much the same stuff. The only difference was that they wanted to do a cooling system flush that wasn't needed and not replace the wires. The coolinig flush I had done about 6 months ago. Thank you for encouraging this DIY'er. I do have a question: If I have a misfire, should I also replace both coils to be on the safe side? That's what the dealer told me to do, but I wasn't sure.I think instead of doing the fuel service, I'll just use Sea Foam as suggested earlier. I have used it in the past with good success.
If you're changing the plugs, hold off on the coils until you know the plugs weren't the problem.

If the coils start to go, my policy is to replace them all and keep the still-working old ones as spares. However, that's mainly because I live in the boonies. Replacing critical items I expect may fail soon, and keeping the still-working old ones as spares, is a habit I've developed since moving out here.

Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replacing critical items I expect may fail soon, and keeping the still-working old ones as spares, is a habit I've developed since moving out here.

Richard, I don't blame you. That is good advice and I plan to do just that. Also, I will try it with new plugs. Should I replace the wires too since the vehicle has close to 170k and this is the first tune up? What is the life span of the coils? I may let a shop do that one if it involves anything high pressure or fuel related. Those things scare me, especially since all of the fire problems.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Richard, I don't blame you. That is good advice and I plan to do just that. Also, I will try it with new plugs. Should I replace the wires too since the vehicle has close to 170k and this is the first tune up? What is the life span of the coils? I may let a shop do that one if it involves anything high pressure or fuel related. Those things scare me, especially since all of the fire problems.
The plug wires for Gen 1 cost about USD $20.00, so I suppose you may as well. Not that much can go wrong with them other than mice, mind you; but why not?

The Gen 2 harness, on the other hand, is about USD $800.00; so when mice started gnawing near one of my 2016's plugs, I bought a Gen 1 harness and spliced the connector and pigtail into it. (The connectors are the same.) I wouldn't replace an $800.00 harness without reason to believe it was failing. But a $20.00 one, sure, why not?

I have the 1.6, so the GDI fuel pump isn't in the way of anything. My understanding is that the most important thing (other than depressurizing the system, or course) is to not re-use the connectors and gaskets. I forget where I read that. Probably here, actually.

I might tackle something like that if I had all the parts, the tools, and the service manual. But if I had the least bit of doubt about my ability to put it back together safely, I'd have a professional do it.

Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
The plug wires for Gen 1 cost about USD $20.00, so I suppose you may as well. Not that much can go wrong with them other than mice, mind you; but why not?

The Gen 2 harness, on the other hand, is about USD $800.00; so when mice started gnawing near one of my 2016's plugs, I bought a Gen 1 harness and spliced the connector and pigtail into it. (The connectors are the same.) I wouldn't replace an $800.00 harness without reason to believe it was failing. But a $20.00 one, sure, why not?

I have the 1.6, so the GDI fuel pump isn't in the way of anything. My understanding is that the most important thing (other than depressurizing the system, or course) is to not re-use the connectors and gaskets. I forget where I read that. Probably here, actually.

I might tackle something like that if I had all the parts, the tools, and the service manual. But if I had the least bit of doubt about my ability to put it back together safely, I'd have a professional do it.

Richard
I think I'll follow your suggestion about the coils and hold off. I'm gonna stick to the plugs for now and consider the wire set. I looked and the plugs all sit exposed on the top of my engine. I have a 2.0L . I also plan to do a round of fuel injector system cleaner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
why would you replace parts that aren't broken ?

dealerships are called stealerships for a reason.

replace the plugs and see if the misfire goes away. mine did

·
Registered
1 Posts
At 90k those boots were probably stuck and they probably used a pair of pliers ripping the boot instead of spark plug pliers. Or pulled on the wire and broke it. They screwed you don’t replace wires a check engine light will come on telling you you have a misfire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, 2014 2.0. I did the plugs when I bought it used. Bought them from RockAuto for a good price and rebate. I remember the fuel line interference but, somehow I was able to work around it without disconnecting anything. I did have trouble with the wiring harness connectors to the coils. I broke two of them because I couldn't figure out the lock. They are like cheap plastic toys. I ended up using a zip tie "system" to keep them in place. They've got to be the cheapest, wimpiest little things going.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Spark plug replacement took $55 from amazon to buy the plugs and new spark plug wires... then a half hour of my time using a 5/8 spark plug socket. All four plugs are easy to get to in front. It was a fast replacement. One of the more easier things I did.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts