Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 2013 Soul to a shop for new spark plugs, and they're charging me $560. The car has 90,000 miles on it. Does this price seem high? The mechanic said it's for spark plugs, boots, intake, etc. When I do a search online for average cost estimate, I'm getting a much lower price.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Run. Run far. Run fast.

Had mine changed in my 2013 base at the Kia dealer several years ago. It was about an hour labor plus 4 iridium plugs at $10 each. Part of a whole bunch of things I had done at 75K, but it was probably in the ballpark of $125 standalone. I would expect $150 for spark plugs to be on the upper end of what I would consider acceptable.

Boots? There is no reason to replace those unless they are physically damaged or if you have like 150K+ miles on it. And if they are damaged, the mechanic probably damaged them trying to get them off.

Intake? Are they going to do an intake system cleaning? Most of those are just spray, and are very profitable for the dealer. And, many do little good.

$560 is a crime.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer pnoman. Unfortunately I agreed to the charge before really understanding that I was being overcharged. They said the charge was for the sparkplugs, coil boots, intake cleaning and labor. I wish I had known better. Feel just sick over it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Was it running poorly before you took it in, or did they just decide it was time to replace the coils/boots?

Was this a Kia dealer or independent shop?

This may have been an expensive lesson for you, but I think most of us have fallen victim at one time or another - you're not alone. This may a good incentive for you to take a class on doing vehicle maintenance/minor repairs so you can do it yourself. Maybe you can find a good "shadetree mechanic" in your area who can mentor you as you do the tasks. Start with something simple (air filters, cabin filters, etc) and work your way up to oil changes, spark plugs, etc. There's the satisfaction of accomplishing the task, and also knowing it was done right.

By any chance, are you military? Many of the bases I was stationed at had Auto Hobby Shops, where you rent a space/lift for about $5-hour and they have someone who will assist and answer questions. It was one of the best benefits offered to the base population.

·
Registered
947 Posts
For a transverse 6-cylinder engine that price might be about right because it is a PITA to access some rear-3-sparkplug banks, but for a KIA soul, that's exorbitant. Realistically, it's a small price to pay for a lesson learned. Put it behind you and shop advice before proceeding in the future.

Greg

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it running poorly before you took it in, or did they just decide it was time to replace the coils/boots?

Was this a Kia dealer or independent shop?

This may have been an expensive lesson for you, but I think most of us have fallen victim at one time or another - you're not alone. This may a good incentive for you to take a class on doing vehicle maintenance/minor repairs so you can do it yourself. Maybe you can find a good "shadetree mechanic" in your area who can mentor you as you do the tasks. Start with something simple (air filters, cabin filters, etc) and work your way up to oil changes, spark plugs, etc. There's the satisfaction of accomplishing the task, and also knowing it was done right.

By any chance, are you military? Many of the bases I was stationed at had Auto Hobby Shops, where you rent a space/lift for about $5-hour and they have someone who will assist and answer questions. It was one of the best benefits offered to the base population.

It was running fine before I took it in. I took it in because it was due for new spark plugs and I'm going to have to drive it across the country when I move at the end of the month.

It was an independent shop in Metairie, Louisiana. After realizing my mistake, I called a dealership nearby to get an estimate on the spark plugs, just to see how much it might've cost me somewhere else, and they told me $250, with another $250 for an intake cleaning (or injection service). Part of my problem was that I didn't know what an intake cleaning was, and I didn't ask for it, but the shop just did it and charged me for it, lumping it in with the spark plugs charge. But even if I had sought out the intake cleaning with the spark plugs, it would have been cheaper at the dealership.

Thanks for the advice. Not military, but I should try to know more about what's happening before I take my car to a shop.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a transverse 6-cylinder engine that price might be about right because it is a PITA to access some rear-3-sparkplug banks, but for a KIA soul, that's exorbitant. Realistically, it's a small price to pay for a lesson learned. Put it behind you and shop advice before proceeding in the future.

Greg
Thanks, I'll definitely call around for estimates next time. Horrible experience. This shop was really taking advantage.

·
Registered
527 Posts
it depends on what is actually being done.
If it was me doing the work on a GDI engine and I had to buy the special disconnect tool, unmount the HP fuel pump, change the plugs, insist on new wires and coils, remount the HP fuel pump and reconnect the lines, plus clean the GDI intake properly, then I would want at least a day's wage if not two.
Doubt they did all the work properly though.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,983 Posts
it depends on what is actually being done.
If it was me doing the work on a GDI engine and I had to buy the special disconnect tool, unmount the HP fuel pump, change the plugs, insist on new wires and coils, remount the HP fuel pump and reconnect the lines, plus clean the GDI intake properly, then I would want at least a day's wage if not two.
Doubt they did all the work properly though.
I sure hope they followed the Kia TSB on disconnecting the GDI fuel pump and didn't reuse connecting parts. This was a source of some of those bad engine fires. Literally spraying gas over a hot engine. The sad part was most of that work was performed by Kia dealers. They are now forbidden by Kia to reuse parts if the GDI pump is disconnected.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I know you don't mean to imply there are good engine fires.

Well, maybe if you are racing and the competish has an engine fire and you win. :LOL:
Ha! Depends on whether or not you still want the vehicle! 😂 I had a Mustang burn up on me on the side of the interstate in Ohio years ago from an engine fire.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Ha! Depends on whether or not you still want the vehicle! 😂 I had a Mustang burn up on me on the side of the interstate in Ohio years ago from an engine fire.
Grandpa always said if your engine catches fire, make sure all that's left of that sucker is a briquette. Then collect all the insurance you can 🔥

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just took my 2013 Soul to a shop for new spark plugs, and they're charging me $560. The car has 90,000 miles on it. Does this price seem high? The mechanic said it's for spark plugs, boots, intake, etc. When I do a search online for average cost estimate, I'm getting a much lower price.
$40 for iridium plugs at autozone

an hour to change them if you're really slow

you got hosed

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
$40 for iridium plugs at autozone

an hour to change them if you're really slow

you got hosed
Hey Ohgood, did you have to gap your iridium plugs or were they ok out of the box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Ohgood, did you have to gap your iridium plugs or were they ok out of the box?

Thanks.
i don't recall what the gap spec was, but when i circles they were correct, ootb.

btw, i just changed them a few days ago. the engine had a very slight miss (miss is on the way to a stumble) while offline at a stoplight, with the ac on. it was repeatable only from 1/3 warm to normal operating temp, so i assumed it was electrical/spark. i was happily surprised that the miss disappeared completely.

the old plugs looked great, but after 8 years of heat cycles, stuff can start to fail... i'll attach pictures....

the iphone did an ok job of reproducing the plugs color, but it was more rust colored on the ceramic than the picture shows. i was happy with the ground strap transition colors too.

if i have to spend $40 every 50,000 miles, i'm ok with that.

btw, the plug galleys were clean and no oil was seaping from the valve cover gasket, so all systems are happy.

i'm pretty impressed with the output of this little 2 L engine. it blew away my old nissan 2.4 L , but doesnt want to mess with any of the focus wagon that's sitting out front.

i'm really digging this tiny/huge wagon :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the one thing that gets you over being overcharged is the new worry of your car suddenly bursting into flames. Good job...if that's what you were going for....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just changed mine it was so easy n cheap took 30 minutes really

1 - 20 of 39 Posts