Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add some oil to this Korean. When I brought it home it was at the top of the fill mark. Right now I sit at the half way mark. I do not know how much that is, but I will get oil tomorrow and top it off. That is not good.....I can go 8000 miles in my V6 Altima and not move a mm on the dip stick. Like driving a Rotary...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If this is so take it to the dealer as there is something seriously wrong, this why you have a warranty.

Pat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question! Where is the oil going? Do you see any oil under your car?
Get it to your dealer ASAP!
:cool:
No leaks, must be burning it. Going to top it off and see how much it has used. Will continue to monitor and see what happens. I want to have good data when I take it in, I have no confidence in dealership "Mechanics"

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the car is very low miles, perhaps it is not yet broken in. I wouldn't worry till you get several thousand on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only new engine I have ever had burn Oil was my 1993 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L V6. It was a pile of crap.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,419 Posts
Are you parked on a flat surface willy? Engine cool?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stone cold only, garage is as level as you can get,,,,,,,,

I added oil this morning Oz by Oz to get it back to the full amount, waited about 10 min between additions to make sure all of the 5w20 piss consistency oil made it to the pan. Had to add 7 ounces this morning at 450 miles. This is 7 more ounces than I added to all of the Nissans I have been driving since October 2001. Had a 2004 GTO 2 year lease 6speed. Put 4 sets of rear tires on that car in 17,000 miles if that tells you anything....Never a drop of oil. :)

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Stone cold only, garage is as level as you can get,,,,,,,,

I added oil this morning Oz by Oz to get it back to the full amount, waited about 10 min between additions to make sure all of the 5w20 piss consistency oil made it to the pan. Had to add 7 ounces this morning at 450 miles. This is 7 more ounces than I added to all of the Nissans I have been driving since October 2001. Had a 2004 GTO 2 year lease 6speed. Put 4 sets of rear tires on that car in 17,000 miles if that tells you anything....Never a drop of oil. :)
What year is your Soul willy? I know you hate taking it in but it may be time to use that nice warranty that came with your Soul. If you don't, and the engine freezes, they may argue you are at fault for not bringing it to their attention in a timely manner.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What year is your Soul willy? I know you hate taking it in but it may be time to use that nice warranty that came with your Soul. If you don't, and the engine freezes, they may argue you are at fault for not bringing it to their attention in a timely manner.
2020GT with 450 miles on it. I think I got some time....want to have hard data, with miles, dates and ounces before I take it in if the problem persists.....if there is even a problem.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
2020GT with 450 miles on it. I think I got some time....want to have hard data, with miles, dates and ounces before I take it in if the problem persists.....if there is even a problem.
Best of luck willy. I know you're watching it like a hawk. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No way should you have dropped that much with only 450mi on the clock...My GT-Line Turbo didn’t drop a millimeter.

Just FYI though, some cars actually burn oil as a part of their regular operation. My mini worked that way and MINI/BMW’s position is that the car is designed to consume (they took exception to the word “Burns”) oil. This was a bit off putting for me since I had a toyota before that that never required topping off between oil changes. Maybe some of those on here that have owned KIA’s before can tell you if that is normal for their engines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought my son a Mini 2004. It uses little to no oil, other than what is leaking from the Valve cover gasket..lol. He drives it like he stole it too. Talk about a car that is a pain in the A$$ to work on......BMW uses total garbage parts and designs them to fail....then requires specialized tools and impossible access....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Keep your eye on it then. The oil loss started at about 50-60K miles. REALLY important to keep it topped off because oil pressure keeps the timing chain tensioner tight. If that gets loose then the asssembly needs to be replaced. Replacement requires removal of the wheel wells, remove engine mount bolts, and drop engine a handful of inches to access the parts...same thing to replace the alternator and water pump (all 3 went bad at around 112k mi). Water pump started leaking from its plastic mounting plate at about 80K mi. Reliability is why I WON’T buy another mini. Loved the car otherwise

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is crazy what you have to do to do minor things.....put the front end into service mode....OMG!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
OK, y'all shamed me into it.. So, I just went out to my 2020 Soul, my little "Jem", and popped the hood. I checked the oil level, and it was exactly where it was 3000 miles ago, at my last oil change. (FULL)

Then I filled the windshield washer tank with my "Special Sauce", and put the hood back down.
So, I can say for sure that my car is not burning or loosing any oil. (just for the record)

I did check my brake fluid and engine coolant levels, and they were both OK.

Happy Valentines Day, Everyone!
FLH :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts