Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2015 limited ed 2.0L Sudden DEAD engine

First off mine is 8k miles out of 100k Warrenty(108k Miles)! Mine started burning oil through oil but no evidence of where it went (no leaks, nothing on exhaust) 5 quarts in 2 days (Wednesday/Thursday). The check engine light came on on Wednesday drove it to the dealership they didn’t have time to look at it took it to autozone it was throwing P0014. Told dealership they said it would be fine to drive it till Friday when they could see it. Checked the oil level Wednesday night didn’t even reach the dipstick (Check oil light was NOT on) put 2 quarts in. Thursday morning drove it 6.2 miles down the road and check engine light went off but then the knocking loud horrible knocking in the engine won’t go above 15mph. So I stopped. Checked the oil in 6.2miles I burned through almost 2 quarts (no smoke, no leaks, no smell). Trailer it into dealership and they said I dropped a valve in my engine I needed a new one. I asked how this happened and the head mechanic told me “I honestly don’t know where the oil went and why the only code thrown was the P0014 (OCV and cam exhaust pressure sensor) and both of those part still work”. I asked if my head was trashed he said it was good but if I dropped a valve the head should be trashed?! I was just told it’s out of warranty just buy a new engine or new car. But I’m way too upside down in this one from a wrecked 2014Optima. This is my 5th Kia. Kia rep said sorry for your loss it’s out of warranty. Help anyone!?!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lawyer? Definitely file a complaint with the NHTSA.

Isn't there a pending recall on this years for oil consumption and dead motors? Check some other threads here because I think there is something. Might take a call to your congressional rep. as I think there was an investigation going.

But on the short end of things, you are screwed! I say this because no matter what, I always seem to come out on the screwed side of things.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
It is doubtful a motor would still run after a "dropped valve" but anything is possible I suppose.
It is also doubtful that a mechanic could access head damage without pull that head off the motor.
Sounds like a fair amount of speculation spitballing and conjecture there.
No matter really... because 8k miles out of warranty basically means you are out of luck here.
Unless this car had a long & lengthy history of prior problems & repairs you need not hit your head against a wall on this one.
108k is a good run though of course you were expecting more from this motor.
Kia has a valid out and you'll be hard pressed to get them to cover anything at this point.
I know this is not what you were hoping to hear and disappointing at the very least but I believe that's pretty much the situation in a nutshell.
With it out of warranty anything they do as far as diagnostics and teardowns will be absorbed by you and that could prove to be very cost ineffective at this point.
Should this have happened...no!
The more documentation you can find regarding this, the better equipped you'll be should you decide to war with Kia on this.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,476 Posts
Be sure to go to safercar.gov & file a complaint with NTHSA (it only takes a few minutes).

Read up there on any other complaints like yours & review any Kia communications on the issue.

That's fairly high mileage (usage) for a 2015. Review your service records to make sure you were in compliance on required/recommended service.

IMHO I believe when you hear the words "sorry but you're just out of warranty," it's bs. I feel that a normal person would expect more than 108,000 miles on an engines (based on, well, just about any other brand on the market).

An engine that "dies" at 108,000 inherently was flawed the day you bought the car, well within the warranty, provided you maintained it. It just didn't reveal it's flaw until now.

All the best.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Throwing a rod: causes

There are only two reasons why an engine would have oil pressure low enough to throw a rod. Excessive wear in very high-mileage vehicles can systemically lower oil pressure enough to cause a rod bearing to spin out of its bearing cap on the crankshaft due to friction from lack of lubrication.

The other reason for low oil pressure is, well, no oil in the crankcase. A warning light on the dashboard should let you know when things get that desperate. An oil pressure gauge to give you a continuous readout is a better early warning device. Checking your oil regularly--even better.

(Full article link below)

https://itstillruns.com/can-make-motor-throw-rod-12129461.html

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Be sure to go to safercar.gov & file a complaint with NTHSA (it only takes a few minutes).

Read up there on any other complaints like yours & review any Kia communications on the issue.

That's fairly high mileage (usage) for a 2015. Review your service records to make sure you were in compliance on required/recommended service.

IMHO I believe when you hear the words "sorry but you're just out of warranty," it's bs. I feel that a normal person would expect more than 108,000 miles on an engines (based on, well, just about any other brand on the market).

An engine that "dies" at 108,000 inherently was flawed the day you bought the car, well within the warranty, provided you maintained it. It just didn't reveal it's flaw until now.

All the best.
Geo...while all that you stated may be valid, with 8k out of warranty you'll be hard pressed to get Kia to cave in on this one.
While it is reasonable and expected to get much more out of your vehicle Kia doesn't warranty according to expectations they warranty according to time & miles, both of which have been met.
It is of little consolation, for sure but obligations have been met regardless of what expectations and common sense might dictate.
Don't get me wrong here...I'd be mad as hell if this was my car and it kills me to know how dealers and corporations squiggle & squirm their was out of coverage sometimes.
Unless there is a class action suit in progress and ample documentation this is going to be an uphill battle for sure.
The willing ears and minds of a dealership is always a plus but with 108k that too may be a needle in a haystack!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I completely agree srad. The odds are stacked against him, but, if it turns out there is proof (evidence) of a manufacturer or parts supplier defect, then there is a case for him, regardless of warranty.

On a smaller scale, the same thing just happened on the turn signal/headlamp stalk on my 2014. Kia has been pressured (forced) to extend the warranty an additional 15 years. These switches were failing at a rate higher than normal. While I've had no trouble with mine, if it fails 1 month after the 5 year warranty, should I be SOL?

While the inherent defect is not evident at purchase, a normal buyer should expect more than 60 months of trouble free usage. The switch was defective at build & responsibility for that should lay with the manufacturer, not consumer.

Failure wouldn't be from normal wear & tear, which is what warranty periods generally cover, but because of a hidden "birth defect." Of course the problem is "proving" it :)

This is why it's so important to register dealer denied service problems with safercar.gov

PS: I doubt the OP could get a free replacement engine in any case. They did get 108,000 miles of utility from the motor. At best they could try to get some type of mitigation from Kia should they be able to prove the failure was no fault of their own. That's a tough road to travel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is a durable good, it should last longer than that. If a lawyer wants nothing to do with it, talk to your local TV stations and see if they are interested in the story. Some negative press about Kia may get things going. A person should not expect their motor to completely fail within 8,000 miles after the warranty period. If for the only reason that the owner will never buy that brand again, and neither will anyone he/she talks to. If the talking spreads beyond a small forum where the manufacturer doesn't care, then it might pick up momentum.

Not sure if this will link, but google Kia engine failure and you should find the same thing https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-fires-hyundai-kia-engine-failures/739097002/ Is this what happened to you? Who knows, but it could be related to your failure.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forums. That's a ringing endorsement for Souls.

Pat.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Welcome to the forums. That's a ringing endorsement for Souls.

Pat.
I was thinking the same Pat, but the OP has declared the 2015 is DOA. A victim of the No Oil/No Service policy.

I don't think he'll be chatting up Kia at the Thanksgiving table.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Thanks Buzz!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
It is a durable good, it should last longer than that. If a lawyer wants nothing to do with it, talk to your local TV stations and see if they are interested in the story. Some negative press about Kia may get things going. A person should not expect their motor to completely fail within 8,000 miles after the warranty period. If for the only reason that the owner will never buy that brand again, and neither will anyone he/she talks to. If the talking spreads beyond a small forum where the manufacturer doesn't care, then it might pick up momentum.

Not sure if this will link, but google Kia engine failure and you should find the same thing https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-fires-hyundai-kia-engine-failures/739097002/ Is this what happened to you? Who knows, but it could be related to your failure.
Too many factors affecting durability I am afraid.
Expectations are things not always met unfortunately.
I would look to connect any/all dots that exist and then you may have something substantial to present to Kia and even then you'll have your hands full!
D.G.M.W. here...I'd be pissed as hell, Pissed as Hell.
With the 100k+ warranty having been fulfilled, the struggle to get a motor replaced 8k miles out of warranty is a vertical challenge.
Our 2012 has been rock solid reliable but I can't say all this talk of engine failures, regardless of mileage, hasn't shaken my product confidence a bit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What's worse for me is that my lady has a 2.0 in her 18 Forte and it looks like they didn't know about the problem to correct it when it would have been built. That makes 2 vehicles with the 2.0 in them but I think hers may be port injection to my GDI.

There hasn't been much discussion on these forums, does anyone know of other discussions from the other cars? Wondering about things like used oil analysis and whether it might show the problem from abnormal levels of metal present.

The only additional help I could suggest would be to take the car to a good third party shop and have them take a look. Might be worth a few hundred dollars.

The only other thing would be to park your busted Soul on a busy road with a big sign about the problem and see if you can make it go viral on the web to pressure Kia to at least go 50% on the motor. Be willing to talk to every over the air broadcaster, radio station, and prominent Youtube broadcaster to get your voice heard. But I think you need the facts of what exactly went wrong, that involves a tear down with pictures and video, and a shop willing to go on record about what they found. I may have one of these locally, but hoping I never need to find out. When I spoke about my oil burning problem in my Spark, the owner was very interested but I had traded it in before then.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Srad, like you, it's given me pause in my fanboy feelings since I bought my first Kia & Soul 4.5 years go. Mine has been rock solid reliable too.

Relatively few people have brought up issues of failed engines on the forum. Even scouring the NHTSA site doesn't show a tsunami of failures or fires.

It makes me wonder statistically out of the million or so Souls on the road, how many didn't receive proper lubrication (from one or more owners) versus the straight up engine failure rate? The same question goes for all car brands as well.

I guess I don't want salacious headlines to scare me off. You know, like on the nightly news where they say "Watch Out, That Can of Window Cleaner Under Your Sink May Explode!"

None of this is meant to minimize the problems folks have had with their Souls (it's terrible when it happens to you). I'm more wondering about media headlines that take on a life of their own. You truly can find video of just about all car brands on fire at some time.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Geo...I'm not concerned about fires (Insurance covers impromptu BBQ's) as I am premature engine failure.
Oddly enough these never crossed my mind with all the Hyundais I have owned over the years.
Paranoia is indeed The Destroyer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts