Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is getting kind of drawn-out and would like someone's opinion of what to do. My wife had a family illness in which she drove our Soul 2020 LX 4.5 hours w/9,000 miles on it plan to stay a week. While there, a steering warning indicator light came on the dash, steering wheel locked up reset it by turning off the car! On the morning of 1/14/20 she took it to the nearest Kia dealership, she called that afternoon they said the power steering assist motor was bad. They couldn't find the part local and ordered one from LA, California (2,000 miles away) and should have the part in a week (1/20/20?). They gave my wife a rental, she called and informed me of this. I called them and ask if they could expedite the order, and offer to pay for extra shipping. They said it was already ordered, couldn't be reordered. The car is still in the shop as of 1/25/20 waiting for the part, due to coronavirus may take longer to get the part another week or two! My wife is now back at the house with the rental, I did ask due to the inconvenience about them delivering the car to the house which is a 9 hour round trip w/2 tanks of gasoline. They've figured it would be about $400.00 to deliver the car, is this fair or should Kia eat the cost?

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
80 Posts
This is getting kind of drawn-out and would like someone's opinion of what to do. My wife had a family illness in which she drove our Soul 2020 LX 4.5 hours w/9,000 miles on it plan to stay a week. While there, a steering warning indicator light came on the dash, steering wheel locked up reset it by turning off the car! On the morning of 1/14/20 she took it to the nearest Kia dealership, she called that afternoon they said the power steering assist motor was bad. They couldn't find the part local and ordered one from LA, California (2,000 miles away) and should have the part in a week (1/20/20?). They gave my wife a rental, she called and informed me of this. I called them and ask if they could expedite the order, and offer to pay for extra shipping. They said it was already ordered, couldn't be reordered. The car is still in the shop as of 1/25/20 waiting for the part, due to coronavirus may take longer to get the part another week or two! My wife is now back at the house with the rental, I did ask due to the inconvenience about them delivering the car to the house which is a 9 hour round trip w/2 tanks of gasoline. They've figured it would be about $400.00 to deliver the car, is this fair or should Kia eat the cost?
The cost of the delivery is not terrible! My guess is that they will be loading it on a truck to transport it to you. As far as who should cover the cost of the transport of the vehicle, i would read the warranty. I would also look at what your CC company/ AAA may cover (read the policies). It sounds like a trip interruption due to vehicle breakdown. I ::think:: the warranty covers parts and labor, and perhaps a tow to the closest dealer. The rental car is typically a goodwill gesture. The margins on cars is pretty small, compared to the time right before the internet, so gone are the days of complementary rentals and the customer is always right/ make the customer happy at all costs. (Avoiding my soap box about brand/ customer loyalty).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cost of the delivery is not terrible! My guess is that they will be loading it on a truck to transport it to you. As far as who should cover the cost of the transport of the vehicle, i would read the warranty. I would also look at what your CC company/ AAA may cover (read the policies). It sounds like a trip interruption due to vehicle breakdown. I ::think:: the warranty covers parts and labor, and perhaps a tow to the closest dealer. The rental car is typically a goodwill gesture. The margins on cars is pretty small, compared to the time right before the internet, so gone are the days of complementary rentals and the customer is always right/ make the customer happy at all costs. (Avoiding my soap box about brand/ customer loyalty).
Thanks for the reply. It would had been nice to have given us an option to have it repaired at their site or when we had arrived home! Will check into my insurance company!

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
80 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It would had been nice to have given us an option to have it repaired at their site or when we had arrived home! Will check into my insurance company!
My guess is that given it was steering related it would have been deemed a safety issue. They would not have given you the keys back, after they made the diagnosis. Now they may still allow you to have the car transported back to the local dealer. If I was in tour shoes, i would want to dgo pick up the car in person after the repairs to make sure all is well with the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts