Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching the videos on this from the manufacturer and YouTube. It looks easy enough to do and not having to deal with film is certainly attractive option. But does it really work as advertised. Has anyone used this product?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yes, it does. I was trying to see if anyone had any experience with it, see if it really works. If no one has, when warmer weather gets here, I may be the first one to test it out.
I would give it a try if I didn't already have the 3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film on my car.

This product in my opinion is better in regards that you can do it yourself, it's much cheaper, and a lot easier to re-apply when needed.

$44... you can't go wrong.
3M Paint Defender System, 90100 : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You could wrap your car in plastic. (Clear bra) That would protect it but wonder how long they last & being a plastic, I would think they would get dull or yellow.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could wrap your car in plastic. (Clear bra) That would protect it but wonder how long they last & being a plastic, I would think they would get dull or yellow.
According to their ads, it can be peeled off and redone periodically. If that is an option, then if it did yellow, it could be fixed with a little time and effort. In the kit is a wax that is provided that they tell you to put on to enable easier removal.

·
Registered
489 Posts
3M clear spray on the 2014

I know alot of people don't like it and it might not be as tough but it sure beats $400 just for the front bumper at a shop. ( I was quoted that ). I sprayed my last 2013 Soul and it was great. I did the side mirrors also since I had it covered already. The hood, I have the Kia clear protector installed already. Total cost $16 for spray ( Amazon lowered it from $25 ) and $13 for tape ( NOT BLUE it wont stick ) and clear 6 pack of plastic covering from Home Depot. $29 total cost VS $400. I had practice at it though and you have to spray it on just right in a garage ONLY. Its a big learning curve but saves a ton of money if you do it right. Too little, you get orange peel.. too much you get runs. Most people dont have the environment to do this nor the skill so it's up to you if you try it. And with the curves and bends of the front bumper, you have to spray it differently than what the video shows by 3M. I did the whole bumper at once and went over just the spots that didn't get enough from the other passes before it dried at all. Like I said, not easy but saves if you can do it.

I'd like to do the headlights also but not sure how this would react to heat from the lights and the visibility. So I will just replace the headlights years down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Wow I'd never trust myself to try something like that, go you. Wish I had those skills.

My entire front end, the door handle cups, and rear fenders cost $300 to get wrapped.

First place I went to quoted $400 just for the front alone. Second place was $350 for all of the above and I asked him if he'd do it for $300 and he did.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wow thats a good price. Here in NC I can't hardly find anyone to do it let alone at that price. And the only that quoted me that price insisted he used the best product ( maybe 3M ) and would not go down on price. He would rather I walk away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts