Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's pretty f'n cool... Never seen it before, thanks for posting.
Wonder if i could use it as a screen protector for my phone :p

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
interesting a bit like the Plasti-coat clear but this is a shiny and possibly a tougher film, whereas the Plasti-coat is a matte finish (so it stands out more). Wonder where they carry it in Canada as Amazon Canada does not carry automotive products.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Y'all did notice that this stuff is $25 a can on Amazon and only lasts "up to" a year, didn't you?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Y'all did notice that this stuff is $25 a can on Amazon and only lasts "up to" a year, didn't you?
Yes they said atleast a year. It depends on the conditions you are in. They said if its in the sun 24/7 yeah it will start to turn yellow over time. Plus depends on how many rocks are hitting it. If you aren't hammering it, then it will last alot longer than a year. I keep my Soul in the garage so the sun wont even be on it half the time. Right now, I have zero rock chips it's all brand new still so nows the time for me to do it. I have my shield on but it doesn't protect whats above that. I'm going to take my shield off, spray that then reinstall the shield. I'm also going to spray the front bumper painted area that gets hammered with stones. So i'm going to order 2 cans of it. I might only need one, we will see.

You will need a garage though to do this. Lucky me I have one right now. Doing this outside in any wind would not work. I'll be in the garage with it closed and the lights on.

What I like too is that by chance it messes up, just peel it off and try it again. It's no major loss to try.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We all know if any car can benefit from this stuff, it is the Soul! With the vulnerable front end/hood and the flat roof, this could just be the stuff we have been looking for! I would be interested in reviews from any Soul members willing to try.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the way the hood is made, rocks are just waiting!! I'm going to spray it up to the top of that hood scoop lip ( ramp ). Thats where the rocks are going to skip on it more than anything.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok slight update.

1) USE GLOVES. While it's just plastic, taking the tape off wet it will get all over your hands and takes forever to get off.

2) Must MUST have a hair/lint free garage and even at that some will still settle on it but do your best at first.

The prep and spray went easy. They do give you alot of tape ( i'm surprized ). I sprayed it just like the video but then went over the whole thing one more coat along edges mainly so to make sure it was thick enough to peel off later. DONT make it too white looking, if it too white it's too think and will start to run. Mine didn't, just saying.. back off on that. Mine had white all in it in areas like the videos. It takes a good 4 hours to dry and in that time LINT will still try to claim it! So just chill about it and what happens is what happens. Unless you get a paint booth, your not keeping that lint out of it 100%. But it dries clear and you wont see it as much. It's there to protect the paint anyway and wont look great after time anyhow. I'm a prefectionist and at first I was pissed! But then thought, oh well.. my paint is protected now and no one else will see the defects but me since I know they are there. I'm letting it dry right now and will update more when it's done. I also taped it along the top hood scoop line and ended each end of the tape at the pointed edges on the sides of the hood. Thats the best way to get it straight and even.

I didn't do the whole bottom because my Kia bug shield will go back on and cover the bottom half. Besides the KIA emblem is there and would be a pain to spray over it and around it. So I just taped it just above the KIA emblem.

*Update*
I'm going to peel it and try again. They say 3 coats, THREE coats ONLY. What happens is as it dries, since the hood is at a slop, the edges start to drip. It's not a big deal, just peel it, wipe off off and tape your line again. It does peel pretty easy once dried. It has to be fully dried though, do NOT attempt to peel if it's not 100% clear. It does dry super clear. What i'm going to do also is use the air gun real quick on the hood before I spray again as even the mirco fiber rag has lint. It's a learning curve for sure but once done, you know from now on. Atleast you can take my tips and maybe you can get it on the first try. I didn't even use half a can either so one can is more than enough for 2 tries even.

*Update 2*

Cleaned it all off and did it again. Clean-up was real easy. This time after wiping and taping, I used the air gun and did half then the other half. As much as you think you have all the lint off.. YOU DONT. Using the air gun super close to the hood to not blow anything else back on the hood and dont use full air pressure.

I did THREE coats ONLY ( DO NOT TOUCH IT UP IN SPOTS after the 3 coats! ). It will all blend in as it dries as it does move slowly. I don't hold the can directly down either as there is a chance of drips from the can but I didn't get any. Just a so slight angle but not alot as you do want it going downwards afterall. And remember, PEEL OF THE TAPE WHEN WET!! I almost forget to do that everytime! It came out perfect this time and the new pics show that it's not as white as the first set. And it does have ORANGE peel! Thats how it's supposed to be til it dries. More pics later when dried.

You can see the 2 pics, (my first attempt) ( pic 2 and 4 ) that are really white compared to the other 3. You can even see the edges how much excess they had before and how much cleaner the new pics are.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres the finished product. I was going to do the front bumper area too but that would really be hard to mask off and just isn't worth it.

It came out really good, I also put wax on it and that made a big difference in slickness and also it buffs out any scuff marks. I wouldn't rub it hard like paint, it might hold up but i'm not chancing it. So just lighty put a coat of wax on and wipe off the same way. I'm also not sure of high pressure car washes, I wouldn't risk it even though I think some people have gone through them. I guess once its all beat up and you are ready to peel it off, try the wash to see if it survives it for a test.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts