Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have a red 2012 Soul (! trim level) with less than 100 miles on a dealer short-block rebuild. Total miles for the whole car is 146k. It's in good shape mechanically as well, with new front brakes, good rear brakes, new ball joints, and a decent interior for its age. Tires are excellent.

It needs body work. The left rear quarter panel was dented in and not repaired, so that'll need to be cut out and repaired/painted. The rear bumper cover needs to be replaced, as well as the black center insert, which I already have.

Kelly BB on this is $12k-$14k to a 3rd party buyer for a car in excellent condition, (and only a few grand less as a trade-in) which this would be were I to get the work done. Estimate is around $3k for the repairs. Even with a conservative sale price, I could probably get $10k for it post-repair.

Or: I can try to sell it as-is for ... what ... $7k? The used market is crazy, and I suspect there may be some buyers who would like to spend less and would either live with the defects or fix it themselves. I'm not going to do that kind of body work myself, although I could probably replace the rear bumper cover.

I attached pics of the car. Thanks in advance for your advice, Soul-mates.

-T
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
One option is to do the repairs yourself. The visible damage does not look that bad.

Where are you? I don't need to know the GPS coordinates to your bathroom but the general region would be nice to know. I see snow but beyond that.....

The above is a leading question. You are posting to a chat forum hosted in Toronto, Canada and there are lots of Canadians on this forum. We know a thing or two about winters and rust on automobiles. Most important, winters and rust do not intimidate many of us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One option is to do the repairs yourself. The visible damage does not look that bad.

Where are you? I don't need to know the GPS coordinates to your bathroom but the general region would be nice to know. I see snow but beyond that.....

The above is a leading question. You are posting to a chat forum hosted in Toronto, Canada and there are lots of Canadians on this forum. We know a thing or two about winters and rust on automobiles. Most important, winters and rust do not intimidate many of us.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know the bathroom GPS, but it's in the general vicinity of Ann Arbor, Michigan. As you note, I could do some of the repairs (I could replace the rear bumper cover, e.g.) but when I look at the cost of the part, and the shipping, and then the painting, well, it's not that much of a savings compared to having someone do it. I'm going to replace the passenger mirror (awaiting delivery of prep and paint for that).

I dunno. I don't want to keep the car, and I want to honor the beast by helping that new engine live a happy life for some other family, thus the urge to staunch the rust damage on the quarter panel.

Ponderingly,

-T

·
Registered
682 Posts
Could you find a red Soul in the salvage yard with a good rear bumper? That would be a less expensive solution I would imagine.

I just repaired rust like yours on my 2011 for under $75. A lot of sanding and more sanding down to bare metal, bondo, primer, base and clear and it looks “better” (I’m no body guy). Hopefully it will last a while before the rust comes back.

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Hi,
We have a red 2012 Soul (! trim level) with less than 100 miles on a dealer short-block rebuild. Total miles for the whole car is 146k. It's in good shape mechanically as well, with new front brakes, good rear brakes, new ball joints, and a decent interior for its age. Tires are excellent.

It needs body work. The left rear quarter panel was dented in and not repaired, so that'll need to be cut out and repaired/painted. The rear bumper cover needs to be replaced, as well as the black center insert, which I already have.

Kelly BB on this is $12k-$14k to a 3rd party buyer for a car in excellent condition, (and only a few grand less as a trade-in) which this would be were I to get the work done. Estimate is around $3k for the repairs. Even with a conservative sale price, I could probably get $10k for it post-repair.

Or: I can try to sell it as-is for ... what ... $7k? The used market is crazy, and I suspect there may be some buyers who would like to spend less and would either live with the defects or fix it themselves. I'm not going to do that kind of body work myself, although I could probably replace the rear bumper cover.

I attached pics of the car. Thanks in advance for your advice, Soul-mates.

-T
View attachment 138671
View attachment 138673

View attachment 138669
View attachment 138668
View attachment 138670
Thoughts:

1. No way can that car be worth that kind of money. I ran my car through KBB - I have a 2013 - used your same model (+) and mileage and excellent condition and came out to $6000-7600 private party. The price your quoting is almost more than what the car cost brand new 10 years ago. You've done something wrong in putting your info in there. I would say reasonably if you fixed all that stuff that was wrong you might expect to get $5-7k depending on how badly someone in your area wants a red 1st gen Soul.

2. Since it sounds like you want to sell it - why not drive a car with a brand new engine until it dies? - I wouldn't fix any of that stuff and I would try to get $3-5k for it, as is.

3. No pictures of the interior, but I think you are wildly optimistic about the condition of this car. Assuming this is your car and that the damage was done while it was your car, and that you didn't buy it this way, anyone who allows that kind of damage to just "let it be" does not keep the rest of the car in the guidelines of what KBB "excellent" really is. If my car got smashed like that when it was low miles, I would have had all the damage fixed immediately, and I wouldn't have that much rust in the wheel well because the first sign I would have had it repaired. Now once my car got to be a high-mileage beater, I might not have fixed any of that stuff, which is what I expect is the case here. Nothing wrong with that, only be honest about what the thing is really worth even in an unusually high used car market.

I think that you would be doing good if you got $4k for that car, just how it is. The only way to know is to put it up for sale. I wouldn't fix anything because you're not going to get $10-15k for that car with 146k miles if you fix that stuff, so you'd just be throwing money into a Soul-hole.

·
Registered
827 Posts
@McVoices, Excellent! Now I know that you experience snow annually as opposed to once in a blue moon. You also do not live a place with greater than usual ecological awareness; I think it is safe to assume that your state and municipal governments are dumping salt on the roads.

Upon first glance, it looks like your Soul has not been well maintained. By that I mean, it should have been washed several times during the winter with a high pressure hose. Probably never waxed.

So if you are thinking of getting rid of it, raise your Soul somehow (jack stands, ramps, curb on the edge of the street) and crawl under it and look hard, look carefully. Use a flashlight. Take photos with your smartphone.

Please do not crawl under your Soul if it is only supported by a jack.

If it looks ugly and you have the budget, sell it or trade it in.

Or.... you fix the rust and dents to the best of your ability, carefully paint them, and then get a specialized shop to apply anti-rust liquid. Here in Canada Krown Rust and Rust Check are two chains that spray and inject a specialized rust-inhibitor and protector. Michigan should have similar chains. DO NOT apply a coating to the underside of the vehicle.

Do all this, and your 2012 Soul might last another 150K miles and leave you lots of cash to upgrade the battery, buy expensive tires, upgrade the sound system or take a vacation to western Panama.

P.S. Those were decent informative photos. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you find a red Soul in the salvage yard with a good rear bumper? That would be a less expensive solution I would imagine.

I just repaired rust like yours on my 2011 for under $75. A lot of sanding and more sanding down to bare metal, bondo, primer, base and clear and it looks “better” (I’m no body guy). Hopefully it will last a while before the rust comes back.
Hey, JD ... thanks for taking the time to reply. I haven't searched for the part in salvage ... yet ... but was planning on that as I research options. Your repair job is commendable! -T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thoughts:

1. No way can that car be worth that kind of money. I ran my car through KBB - I have a 2013 - used your same model (+) and mileage and excellent condition and came out to $6000-7600 private party. The price your quoting is almost more than what the car cost brand new 10 years ago. You've done something wrong in putting your info in there. I would say reasonably if you fixed all that stuff that was wrong you might expect to get $5-7k depending on how badly someone in your area wants a red 1st gen Soul.

2. Since it sounds like you want to sell it - why not drive a car with a brand new engine until it dies? - I wouldn't fix any of that stuff and I would try to get $3-5k for it, as is.

3. No pictures of the interior, but I think you are wildly optimistic about the condition of this car. Assuming this is your car and that the damage was done while it was your car, and that you didn't buy it this way, anyone who allows that kind of damage to just "let it be" does not keep the rest of the car in the guidelines of what KBB "excellent" really is. If my car got smashed like that when it was low miles, I would have had all the damage fixed immediately, and I wouldn't have that much rust in the wheel well because the first sign I would have had it repaired. Now once my car got to be a high-mileage beater, I might not have fixed any of that stuff, which is what I expect is the case here. Nothing wrong with that, only be honest about what the thing is really worth even in an unusually high used car market.

I think that you would be doing good if you got $4k for that car, just how it is. The only way to know is to put it up for sale. I wouldn't fix anything because you're not going to get $10-15k for that car with 146k miles if you fix that stuff, so you'd just be throwing money into a Soul-hole.
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1) I put a lower mileage in KBB and anticipated correcting everything, and used that as a guide. It has 146k miles, but <100 on the new engine, and there's no real way to compute that under the KBB structure.
2) Yeah, you're probably right about wild optimism. Your reply is helpful to me; gives me a good idea of what I might get for it without spending any more money on it.
3) The interior is pretty good; a couple of burn holes in the back seat, otherwise OK, and I'm gonna get it professionally detailed/upholstery cleaned and such. the car belonged to someone else in my immediate family, and the damage wasn't attended to as I had wished it would have been, but that's 'spilt milk under the bridge,' to mix an aphorism. You're right about how it should've been dealt with, obviously, and that's how I try to take care of the other belongings for which I have responsibility/control. "Soul-hole." Nice.

Again, I really appreciate your time and experience. Have a good 2022. -T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@McVoices, Excellent! Now I know that you experience snow annually as opposed to once in a blue moon. You also do not live a place with greater than usual ecological awareness; I think it is safe to assume that your state and municipal governments are dumping salt on the roads.

Upon first glance, it looks like your Soul has not been well maintained. By that I mean, it should have been washed several times during the winter with a high pressure hose. Probably never waxed.

So if you are thinking of getting rid of it, raise your Soul somehow (jack stands, ramps, curb on the edge of the street) and crawl under it and look hard, look carefully. Use a flashlight. Take photos with your smartphone.

Please do not crawl under your Soul if it is only supported by a jack.

If it looks ugly and you have the budget, sell it or trade it in.

Or.... you fix the rust and dents to the best of your ability, carefully paint them, and then get a specialized shop to apply anti-rust liquid. Here in Canada Krown Rust and Rust Check are two chains that spray and inject a specialized rust-inhibitor and protector. Michigan should have similar chains. DO NOT apply a coating to the underside of the vehicle.

Do all this, and your 2012 Soul might last another 150K miles and leave you lots of cash to upgrade the battery, buy expensive tires, upgrade the sound system or take a vacation to western Panama.

P.S. Those were decent informative photos. Thanks.
Hi, Westslope,

Well, the car was washed fairly regularly, and I do that with my daily driver, a 2012 Subaru Forester. The Kia was always driven by others in the immediate family (wife, daughter). I hear ya.

I do have 4 good jack stands and the undercarriage inspection is next on the list ... ran it through the car wash yesterday to get a good underside wash ahead of that. I'm grateful that you offer a complete stranger the advice not to climb under it supported by a jack ... which I wouldn't do ... point is, you sound like a good guy.

Good advice, too, re: the rust prevention. I have always believed there was some weird negative joojoo that the American auto manufacturing industry was built on a peninsula that is essentially topsoil on a salt mine. Perfect environmental obsolescence.

Yeah, Panama sounds good about now.

-T

·
Registered
300 Posts
At first, using KBB and putting in 146,000 for mileage (considering the other components and trans have that much on them) I would have posted you'd only get $4,000 for the car. However, looking at www.autotrader.com I see 2012s with about the same mileage going for just under $7,000 which is a surprise.

As for repairing it, why spend the time and money on rust, cleaning seats, and the other things. There's no real indication you're repairs will get you any more money on a nine-year old car. Just put it up for sale and set the price at like $5,900 and see if you get any bites. Be sure to mention the new engine and that you have the documentation. If you don't, then it's worth less. If you get a bit immediately, you've underpriced it. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At first, using KBB and putting in 146,000 for mileage (considering the other components and trans have that much on them) I would have posted you'd only get $4,000 for the car. However, looking at www.autotrader.com I see 2012s with about the same mileage going for just under $7,000 which is a surprise.

As for repairing it, why spend the time and money on rust, cleaning seats, and the other things. There's no real indication you're repairs will get you any more money on a nine-year old car. Just put it up for sale and set the price at like $5,900 and see if you get any bites. Be sure to mention the new engine and that you have the documentation. If you don't, then it's worth less. If you get a bit immediately, you've underpriced it. Good luck.
Thanks, RtB. Good advice. I've ordered a new rear bumper cover, so that's going to be completed. And no, I'm not going to address the rust spot.

As you saw, there's no good way to price a car with x miles and <x miles on a rebuilt engine. I do have the documentation for the repair(s).

I'll be sure to post the outcome of all this when I get to that point.

Thanks to everyone who has taken a moment to help me out! -T

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd absolutely sell as is and if I were buying I'd absolutely want to buy as is because (1) it's cheaper, and (2) I can see the damage vs trusting you to tell me the truth as to how bad the damage really was. That damage looks like nothing to me, I could barely see it, would never pay $3k to fix that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd absolutely sell as is and if I were buying I'd absolutely want to buy as is because (1) it's cheaper, and (2) I can see the damage vs trusting you to tell me the truth as to how bad the damage really was. That damage looks like nothing to me, I could barely see it, would never pay $3k to fix that.
Good advice ... although I would never conceal a thing about anything I ever sold (I don't think you were inferring that 'I' would ... probably you were using the general 'you,' right?

I already have a new rear bumper cover coming, gonna paint that and install it, clean the car up nice & shiny, and get it out to market. I won't be fixing the dent/rust area. -T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts