Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even if the Soul has the worst economy in its segment I still purchased it almost solely based on fuel economy. Crazy I know but if you saw the rest of my fleet you would understand

·
Registered
13 Posts
Only had my SOUL a few months , 2500 miles so far. I saw 36mpg once after a fill up, but anything over 30--34 mpg looks good to me.. My moped scooter gets 100 mpg... Big deal... My SOUL has taken over as my daily driver...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Or, instead of butting in and berating people who are just having a fun chat about something you obviously view with disdain, and instead of being one of those people who find perverse joy in being "that guy" online, you could, I dunno, maybe go boil your head. Speaking only for myself, I don't care whether you "comprehend this fixation on mileage."
A very mature reply, In a lot of cases it is anything but a fun chat, some people are totally obsessed with gas mileage to the point of keeping meticulous records. The reason I cannot understand it is this, you buy a car, in order to run it you have to put gas in it, whether it gets more or less than you thought it would isn't going to change by monitoring every liter of gas you put into it you still have to gas up every so often. This is just my personal opinion to which I am entitled by the way, without being insulted by an anonymous person on an internet forum. This has always been a social forum without any of flaming common on other forums lets keep it that way.
For the record this was just a tongue in cheek poke at all the gas mileage recorders, if that's what floats yer boat go for it, but I still don't understand it. I buy a car for enjoyment not to fuss over gas mileage, if I did then I would ride the bus.

Pat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just after we bought it loaded her up with three of us and went on a 310 mile(each way) trip. Cruise set on 60, 800+ miles on the clock, it averaged 33.44.
Return trip no cruise but keeping up with faster traffic, mostly 65-70-ish got 32.3

A month after that starting with 2600miles on it, just my son and I made an 820 mile pilgrimage to Cooperstown (Baseball Hall Of Fame). Did the same, 60-62 cruise on going but only got 30.9. The first 250 miles or so was the exact same route at the previous trip and I noticed the readout was lower. I attribute this to it now being October and they switched to winter blend.
On the return trip I averaged 9.5 mph faster, had the cruise at 10 over but also did 15+ over in a lot of places if there was a lot of other cars going that fast. MPG dropped 2mpg to 28.9.
It was worth it, on a long trip it knocked just under 2 hours (1hr55m to be exact) off the travel time.

Daily driving my wife averages 27-28 in the summer, 2 less in winter. Most of her driving(10-12 miles to work) is about 75% "country" driving, our county is a bunch of small towns with some space between where county routes have speed limits between 40-50 and there is usually 1-2 miles between traffic lights. There is a large population all around so we still get congestion on the county roads and back ups at lights, though nothing like traditional "city" traffic.
The other 25% of her driving is thru town with a few short mile long maybe stretches of 30mpg, still better then "city" driving.

Nope, we didn't buy this for mileage, we bought it because it was a hell of a lot more comfortable then either of the Rio, Forte, Fiesta and Focus we had planned on buying. Those were due to their cost (Soul falls right in there with them here) as we didn't want payments, and for their mpg, high 20s city/high 30s highway ratings smoke the Souls lame 24/30 ratings, but oh well, the comfort thing sold us on the Soul.

·
Registered
119 Posts
really? my soul! with the 2.0 engine only gets 25, and i am driving decent streches, but we are pretty hilly around here and i have the 18" rims that can't be helping my MPG> but i was very disheartened when i rented a ford 4 cyl while my soul was in the shop for some body work recently and the ford was funner to driver :( but there is much to love about the souls driving. its very lose and relaxed and much funner in general is all i can say about it but anyways, yeah 25. maybe 27. but thats about me per tank :\ 330 miles tops, i ever see that im squriling.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
really? my soul! with the 2.0 engine only gets 25, and i am driving decent streches, but we are pretty hilly around here and i have the 18" rims that can't be helping my MPG> but i was very disheartened when i rented a ford 4 cyl while my soul was in the shop for some body work recently and the ford was funner to driver :( but there is much to love about the souls driving. its very lose and relaxed and much funner in general is all i can say about it but anyways, yeah 25. maybe 27. but thats about me per tank :\ 330 miles tops, i ever see that im squriling.
Just keeping it REAL ~ Your MPG right in middle ~ Tank after Tank average done properly ~ Only drive with the Wind, and only down Hills will improve your MPG above the EPA average for your Car ~ Check Fuelly FIRST before you buy your Next Car ~ Fuelly cuts through all the Crap ~ The SOUL is a BRICK (not shaped like a Bullet) ~ When your Car starts crying "FEED ME"..."FEED IT" and then just Enjoy your SOUL ~ Don't Stress Over It's MPG, and "You'll-Be-Happy-All-Day-Long"...<:))
Kia Soul Mileage | Fuelly

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call them bricks (note, my other car is a full size Ford van), and at normal highway speeds (lets say up to 75) it really doesn't factor in much.
If they were really that bad the mpg drop would be even greater then the just over 1 and just under 2 (I rounded off in my figures above in previous post) going from a steady 60 to 70-75.
Thats about what any car would lose.
My old Grand Prix GTP would get 30-31 at 60-65 and 28-29 at 75.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just keeping it REAL ~ Your MPG right in middle ~ Tank after Tank average done properly ~ Only drive with the Wind, and only down Hills will improve your MPG above the EPA average for your Car ~ Check Fuelly FIRST before you buy your Next Car ~ Fuelly cuts through all the Crap ~ The SOUL is a BRICK (not shaped like a Bullet) ~ When your Car starts crying "FEED ME"..."FEED IT" and then just Enjoy your SOUL ~ Don't Stress Over It's MPG, and "You'll-Be-Happy-All-Day-Long"...<:))
Kia Soul Mileage | Fuelly
you are right sir. i had allot of assumptions of that 4 cyl, it does well in allot of their other cars, i assumed allot when buying the car. its a ****ing toaster on wheels after all. it handles turns like a grocery cart and gets pretty horendiouse 4 cyl MPG lets be stright. but it's a good car, i love my soul. i'm putting allot of work into puting a high end audio system in it right now. i bought the car because i wanted it. it may not of played out the way i might of expected in this area but i did have realistic expectations too and took them all into consideration, size, fun, shape, confort, the bells were also key, i like the certain set up of bells and whisels and this car fell into that. I thourugly enjoy driving this car. it's not tight and funa round tight turns but it drives fun, handles like a dream, drives extremley easy. stering is so loose it feels like the car wants to move. I do love my 2015 soul! :) I really do.

i should show you what i'm talking about in audio terms in this car -

enough derailing! back on topic i suppose X D

·
Registered
2016 Base
10 Posts
Resurrecting this older thread because it closely tracks my experience with the new (to me) 2016 Soul Base. 1.6L 6-speed manual. Just got it a few weeks ago and trip computer was reading an absurd 38.8 mpg in mixed (70% highway) driving. Knew the computer must be overestimating, but wasn't until my second fill up that I was able to manually track actual fuel consumption (zeroed trip odometer between fill ups, measured fuel used as soon as pump clicked itself off). Real world mileage is 36.2 miles per US gallon. I typically beat EPA estimates on most of the cars I've owned, but never by this kind of percentage margin. The 1.6L Soul is a gutless wonder compared to my old Saab turbo, but cannot complain about the fuel economy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
... Real world mileage is 36.2 miles per US gallon....
In my mixed, short trip (<4 mile each way to work) daily driving I average 30-31mpg (easy on the throttle) in my 2014 1.6L manual.

Couple years ago took a ~98% short highway trip (stayed about 55mph) and got 39.7mpg actual although I think the onboard readout was showing 45mpg.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,751 Posts
In my mixed, short trip (<4 mile each way to work) daily driving I average 30-31mpg (easy on the throttle) in my 2014 1.6L manual.

Couple years ago took a ~98% short highway trip (stayed about 55mph) and got 39.7mpg actual although I think the onboard readout was showing 45mpg.
That's really good Tosen. On my 2014 manual I've averaged (real world) 28.9 mpg. 50/50 mixed driving. I'm not a lead foot but do "drive" it. Fun!

I've only done a few good long highways drives, and get close to 33 mpg on those.

In the winter, with crap gas, it drops into the 27's. We also have a bad habit of running the engine for heat while having lunch in the cold months, which drops MPG fast.

The computer, as usual, adds about 2 to reality.

I've been very happy with this 1.6 GDI engine over the last 6 years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
...I've been very happy with this 1.6 GDI engine over the last 6 years.
I'm fairly easy on the throttle, sometimes more so, sometimes less so.

Removed the rear seat early on so slightly less curb weight.

I don't heat up my car in the winter, don't run the A/C in the summer (other than a few minutes every month or so to lubricate the seals).

Don't often drive more than a handful of miles on the highway, only the one short trip where I deliberately filled up right before getting on the highway and again as soon as I got back to town so that the miles for that gas useage would be almost all (~98-99%) only highway.

Bought it used. I'm not the best shifter but I'm enjoying the stick. Once I hit my shifts perfectly and along the way heard the guy in the other lane (who I wanted to get ahead of so I could change lanes due to my lane soon becoming a dedicated turn lane) I heard him grind his gears - man did I have Garfield grin on my face :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I regularly get in the mid-30's, mostly highway driving where I live.

A couple of times, I've done some extreme hypermiling just for fun and gotten close to 50 mpg. I think the last time was 48 point something over about 20 miles through the mountains. but mid-30's in the winter to high 30's in the summer is more common, probably due to a slightly less energy-dense winter fuel formulation in New York and the increased rolling resistance and unsprung weight of the winter tires.

I also tend to drive as if I were flying an airplane, for example, letting up on the accelerator and allowing the car to slow on its own when I know a speed zone is ahead. I rarely use the brakes except for full stops or sudden stops (deer and so forth). That sort of driving style lends itself to better fuel economy.

Finally, I also use 89-octane fuel. I get a huge MPG boost from 87 to 89, but none over 89 unless I use ethanol-free. The improvement is probably due to delayed detonation and less need to downshift when going up hills using 89. The reason it doesn't improve with octane > 89 is probably because the engine's inherent limitations kick in, so any improvement at > 89 are too small to be measurable.

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Base
10 Posts
The thing that gets me is that the official EPA mileage estimate for a 1.6 liter MT Gen 2 Soul is something like 30 highway, 26 combined. I'm smoking that and it's not even summer temperatures yet. I confess I do drive conservatively, but I most certainly do not hypermile. Latest mileage after last fill up is 36.6mpg (70% highway). I thought that EPA estimates, if anything, were supposed to be optimistic.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts