Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tracking my 2015 Soul base model (15K miles on the odometer) in Fuelly, I've been getting around 26 MPG in what I call a gentle mix of city and highway. My experience has been that Fuelly shows about 2 MPG less than the car computer. I don't drive a lot at all, maybe 10K miles per year, and I try to be gentle on takeoffs and landings. My around-town trips are a mix of just a few miles to up to maybe thirty miles at a time, urban with good streets and some freeways.

On a trip yesterday, traffic on I 35 in Texas was unusually free-flowing; the terrain was flat to gently rolling hills. I had filled up from empty right before getting on the highway. I glanced down after a while and noticed I was over 32 MPG cruising around 70mph, so I decided to play a little. Over a period of 60 or so miles, I nursed the MPG meter up to 33, 34, and so on until I hit 34.9 right before exiting the highway. I immediately filled up, having used almost 3/8 tank based on the gauge needle on the 168 mile trip. The tank took 4.642 gal, I did not top off, and the fuel gauge meter settled in above the "F" when I started up. So it all looked normal. The Soul has a 14.2 gal tank, so 3/8 tank would be 5.325 gal if the gauge were perfect.

Well, the math shows I got 36.2 MPG on that trip, 1.3 MPG more than what the trip computer showed. I checked the numbers before pulling away from the pump. I realize that different pumps can click off at different fill levels, and I realize we are rounding on the odometer reading. But still, that seems like an oddly outstanding result compared to the previously recorded Fuelly highs of around 27.2 MPG for trips.

Can the fact that I had just pulled off the highway affect the fill cutoff in some odd way? Could anything else have produced such a rosy reading?

Or was it just the right combination of driving conditions and my driving tweaks yielding a truly good performance? I did not slow down below about 58 MPH during this time, and each time I ratcheted the reading up another half MPG, it would hold as I gently achieved 65 or 70 MPH again.

Each time I thought I had probably hit the limit, I'd get it to climb a little more.

Any thoughts on this? Anybody else been able to get 36 MPG out of a Soul without doing crazy things on the road?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
How was the elevation? I once took a trip from Las Vegas to Phoenix and then to Los Angeles, the road was all downhill, literally, lol. Must of gotten 99 MPG, because I don't remember hitting the gas ever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question! Looks like it was downhill overall: Georgetown (start of trip) is 755 feet, Waco (trip midpoint) is 470 feet, and Arlington (end) is 604 feet. I didn't realize that.

However, I was doing the tests hitting 33-plus MPG between Waco and Arlington, where the elevation was rising again.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,123 Posts
why worry about it there is so much factors that effect fuel economy which is why the EPA and Transport Canada do not do real world tests for the FE readings, it would be impossible. It's all done under control conditions so you can keep repeating it and its the same for everyone.

The fill up and calculation would have a big factor in your FE as its just been on the one type of driving condition, if you had continued longer and conditions were different then the average would slowly drop as you continued using fuel in the tank as you worked yourself to the E mark. The shorter the distance to fill up the more accurate the reading will be.
If you do the same thing distance as you did on that highway trip and did the same in the city and see what you get - it will be quite a difference.

I just recently complete a 320 km (198 miles) round highway trip in my new 2016 SX and got 6.9L/100 km (34 mpg US, 41 mpg imperial). On my first tank fillup the average gauge reading matched the manual calculation exactly.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I thought they do some type of real world tests since '08. I remember buying a brand new Civic with 40 MPG back then and the next model year came out with 38 without a single change done to the vehicle. Of course, not every condition could be met, but they no longer drive the car in a perfect circle at 40 mph and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Prolly something...downhill,elevation (as suggested)
I wish.

Got me thinking.
Had a old 2cycle Saab. As it was a manual of course,had this nifty "free wheeling" feature.
Somewhat like a overdrive. You are on a hwy,consistent speed.You engage the free wheeling.
It just gives you enough power to maintain the speed.
The mpg was fantastic.
Now,to pass another car or in everyday driving,it was useless.

Mix gas&oil =polution today.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I do not change my style of driving just fit in with traffic. The length of runs and type of roads makes huge difference.
The highest MPG achieved in 50mph zones.
Over 5 fill ups 42 mpg but individuals vary from 32 to 48 mpg. CRDI 1.6 Auto in theory the 1.6 GDI should not be far below.
The air conditioning gets used more in winter to keep car and precious cargo dry. :fat:
My only eco is not to use the car for a journey less than 2 miles.
If economy your aim why did you buy a Soul a Ceed has far superior aerodynamics.

Jeff

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
I do not change my style of driving just fit in with traffic. The length of runs and type of roads makes huge difference.
The highest MPG achieved in 50mph zones.
Over 5 fill ups 42 mpg but individuals vary from 32 to 48 mpg. CRDI 1.6 Auto in theory the 1.6 GDI should not be far below.
The air conditioning gets used more in winter to keep car and precious cargo dry. :fat:
My only eco is not to use the car for a journey less than 2 miles.
If economy your aim why did you buy a Soul a Ceed has far superior aerodynamics.

Jeff
Jeff, they don't sell the C'eed in North America :sneakiness: We get the Forte.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got back from a trip cut short to the south dakota black hills (from CO). Last night drove on part of a tank from Hermosa, SD (east of rushmore) down to Sterling, CO, 263miles. Elevation gain of only 500ft, had my cruise control locked at 70mph almost the whole way. I ended up getting 41mpg on that stretch, the most I've ever seen.

Only a few towns along the way in nebraska, I only had to ever pass a car and a truck.

Couple of things of note. I mostly had a tail wind, maybe 20-25mph ? Also I put in pure 85 octane, no ethanol (never did that before).

Most of my normal driving is taking kids through heavy city traffic, so now I mostly get 28-30.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On a recent trip from Pittsburgh to Washington DC, then to Baltimore then back home to Pittsburgh with the cruise control set to 70 - 75 mph I averaged 31mpg for the entire trip.
I used regular that has 10% ethanol in my 1.6l auto ( about 4500 miles on it) . Not sure the elevation changes, but there are lots during the trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do probably 30/70 split city and highway driving and hand calculated my 15 Base MT has had a best tank of 34.5 and a worst tank of 28mpg.

I don't think it's too hard to beat the EPA estimates in this car, but the fuelly app says otherwise. Maybe I've just had great weather and road conditions (I've only owned it for 1500 miles)

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I belong to a number of car forums, and in everyone of them there are multiple threads on gas mileage. I personally cannot comprehend this fixation on mileage. People buy a new car then proceed to document every liter of gas they put in it, then if it varies from time to time they almost need therapy. For Gawds sake people you bought the car to enjoy:), so what if it gets a couple of miles per gallon less than you expected, unless you do tens of thousands of miles per year it amounts to a hill of beans.

Pat.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Hill of beans? Sure, tell that to Kia who have to pay a huge sum to compensate owners for incorrect advertised mpg numbers. I know for the last 3 years Kia has reimburse me almost $900.
so what's the problem? :sneakiness: I took the New Car Certificate instead - worked out great for my new vehicle purchase :applause:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I belong to a number of car forums, and in everyone of them there are multiple threads on gas mileage. I personally cannot comprehend this fixation on mileage. People buy a new car then proceed to document every liter of gas they put in it, then if it varies from time to time they almost need therapy. For Gawds sake people you bought the car to enjoy:), so what if it gets a couple of miles per gallon less than you expected, unless you do tens of thousands of miles per year it amounts to a hill of beans.

Pat.
Or, instead of butting in and berating people who are just having a fun chat about something you obviously view with disdain, and instead of being one of those people who find perverse joy in being "that guy" online, you could, I dunno, maybe go boil your head. Speaking only for myself, I don't care whether you "comprehend this fixation on mileage."

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had one odd tank at 37mpg US.Most have been in the 26 to 28 range, with 30 to 34 on my weekly route,depending on traffic volume, and being held up at stops.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts