Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just hit the 3000 mile mark and got my first oil change, and along with it another customization. I was thinking about all I've gotten accomplished up to this point, and thought we could share everything we've done to our souls in the first 3000 miles or so...

Molten Soul + Auto w/ sunroof and audio package
Exterior custom transformers decals and styling
Kia splashguards
Cargo net
Wheel appliques in reflective red (just around the lip of the rims)
Sticky pads on the dash, with a decepticon logo inlaid into it

·
Registered
108 Posts
So far for me by 3000 I had 2 oil changes pulled the plugs set em to factory spec. I installed a single din jvc hdr1 gutted all 4 door speakers installed new speakers made my own signal filters and a set of 10's in a slotted box. Next up is making an intake and saving for a 4 channel and some components. Also need to get my windows tinted.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yup...JUST did the red calipers thing. That's a real sharp look on a Molten. ALOT more visible than I thought it would be.

Jees....my mods so far:

LED relighting.....pretty much everything
HID lighting TWICE (replaced HID/halogen hi-beam with true bixenon)
LED foggies
LED interior and map lights (waiting for Shark racing modules to replace cheap chinese LEDs)

ScanguageII driving computer I stole outta my 2001 Sportage (will replace with Kiwi PLX)

Jensen VM9022 headunit (was from my 2005 Sportage....will be replacing with Eclipse soon)
Alpine Class D four channel under passenger seat
Hifonics Zeus 400W Class A under driver seat
10" Fosgate shallow DVC sub in factory RR provision (with extensive Dynamat Extreme rework)
Dynamat Extreme allover tailgate interior and both quarter panel (metal quarters)
Dynamat classic on insides of third brakelight, tailgate trim...both interior quarter trim
backup camera installed under third brakelight inside.
Custom relays and wiring for a two tone airhorn (and KEPT my stock horn as well)

Viper system with dual hidden "pain generators" ( 'nuf said)

LED side repeaters with Shark modules
Smoked rain guards from KAI
Door pockets from KAI

Four funny little hamsters from my dad stuck randomly on center speaker trim.

35% SolaGuard on two side fronts (brings fronts to JUST lighter than the back windows)
3M ClearBra "premium" kit and install (Bonnet,Bumper,Wings,Mirrors)

Spectre "temporary" CAI project (replaced soon by a shop here in San Diego designing one)
Repainted the two left side calipers....the two rights will be done next week

To do yet:
GPS enclosure from Shark, but for a custom carputer display (not a gps)
Put "music" function back on LED rings so they can flash real annoying to music again
Custom built (likely a kit) 3-channel, 3-color organ of LED lighting to make interior even MORE flashing and annoying
Phenolic intake spacer from Shark

All of these mods were DIY...except the 3M ClearBra, and I also had my audio guys at Car Audio Heaven do the extensive metal/mdf/Dynamat work for that sub so I could get a good clean sealed enclosure. They also did my 35% tint on my side fronts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Viper system with dual hidden "pain generators" ( 'nuf said)

AiboPet-Can you tell me how hard was it to install the alarm? Info on the why you went with this brand/model and pain generators?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Standard system really, but extremely unconventional install. I used to do this for a living.

Viper....well, coulda been anything really. I just needed it to meet a few criteria for triggers and backup power, and general reliability. The system wasn't all that expensive. Any "trick" installer will tell you it's the install that makes or breaks the alarm.

I wanted to find something that would interface with the original keyless entry keyfob like my 2005 Sportage, but felt Soul needed something a little more customizeable. I am not interfacing with the electric windows, locks or anything. I do have to carry ANOTHER remote, but it's worth it.

Pain generators......because I want them OUT when they get in. A couple piezo warblers like if you mess with the digital cameras at Fry's is all I can compare them to. They are EXTREMELY non directional, and in the interior of a car, a thief can't STAND them, and they can't be ignored OUTSIDE the car either. The external siren is NOT under the bonnet, and they are going to start dissasembling body panels to cut it.

I'm EXTREMELY unconventional when it comes to car alarms.

I couldn't care LESS for the gear they wanna steal......most the work was in the wiring and sub they AREN'T gonna bother with. If someone has enough access, tools and TIME to start stealing SPEAKERS, then your car is pretty secluded. I just don't want them to tear the HELL out of the interior and start PRYING on the red dash.

WON'T go into much detail about the alarm system except that it's pretty isolated from the wiring of Soul except for some of the triggers. If they get in and cut the battery cables with BOLT CUTTERS, the thing is gonna still live.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Standard system really, but extremely unconventional install. I used to do this for a living.

I wanted to find something that would interface with the original keyless entry keyfob like my 2005 Sportage, but felt Soul needed something a little more customizeable. I am not interfacing with the electric windows, locks or anything. I do have to carry ANOTHER remote, but it's worth it.

Pain generators......because I want them OUT when they get in. A couple piezo warblers like if you mess with the digital cameras at Fry's is all I can compare them to. They are EXTREMELY non directional, and in the interior of a car, a thief can't STAND them, and they can't be ignored OUTSIDE the car either. The external siren is NOT under the bonnet, and they are going to start dissasembling body panels to cut it.

I'm EXTREMELY unconventional when it comes to car alarms.

I couldn't care LESS for the gear they wanna steal......most the work was in the wiring they AREN'T gonna bother with and the sub. I just don't want them to tear the HELL out of the interior and start PRYING on the red dash.

WON'T go into much detail about the alarm system except that it's pretty isolated from the wiring of Soul except for some of the triggers. If they get in and cut the battery cables with BOLT CUTTERS, the thing is gonna still live.

Thanks for that-exactly all I wanted to know as this will be my first new vehicle when I get it and I want it to be protected for reasons you mentioned thieves tearing the dash apart and what not. First time learning about the pain generators-nice to know. I really like the part about trying to disable by cutting the cables is no-no. Thanks Aibo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mods pics

The mudguards are behind the tire. Wheel really lights up at night.

Decepticon Dash w/ sticky pad

Not exactly a mod, but I put it in after I bought the car, so I'm counting it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Delicious wheel with the red caliper. Your rims make the caliper even MORE visible than my Sport rims. I like the little red stripe on the bead. I'm so tempted to find a set of someone's "take-off" Sport rims for Soul and have them painted black. I'm afraid to do it myself. I'd likely put a red stripe around the bead like that in case I Helen Keller a rim and would only have to fix the red stripe.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not much here really.

Cam is something I picked up from my Car Audio Heaven guys....I think an Audiovox something or other, about 80 bucks. I liked it because it has a small wire loop you can cut which will "mirror" the image if you need to without the headunit doing the flip (So it looks like a rearview on your LCD)

The Jensen already has a hardware setting to do this already. The Jensen VM9022 has the inputs for a backup cam. Just connect a cam up to it's little RCA video connection, and a wire that is 12V when you back up turns the headunit automaticly to backup cam when the white lights come on. You can even select the cam manually while your driving if someone is bored and feels like watching the traffic behind :p. I just ran a little wire forward from the + side of the backup lights right alongside the video cable. You'll also need to run a little power wire back to the cam. I used something local back there in the tailgate for chassis ground. I just have it 12v anytime the stereo is up since I am already running Bosch relays for the amp turn-on leads. You can run an ACC or IGN or whatever back to the cam.

Cam mounted on third brakelight....wire runs inside tailgate.....goes through that grommet snake thing on the left.....down the C-pillar and is joined by the 12v backup light wire from the tailight. Both run down along the left doorsills and up the left kick panel, across dash to center pod where headunit is.

The logic behind the install isn't a big deal....The tearing apart of most the left side of the interior was about the only drama. I had the left rear interior panel already out for some Dynamat at the time.

You WILL have to mount the little cam to the small brake light cover WITH SCREWS. I had tried doublesided tape, but between the woofer shaking everything back there and the relatively heavy METAL cam, kept making it come off the tape. The cam is aimed down so the bottom of the picture just shows the rear wiper. In my setup, you are just about a foot in front of something right there. I had tried setting the cam in that little space in the bumper where the black trim was, but when you were close to a car.....you just saw "ALOT OF BUMPER" and couldn't really see how close you were. I like how this placement also seems to show QUITE a bit of "off to the sides" with the fisheye style lense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts