Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow, I’ll blame COVID, I did not change the oil in my car, a 2020 Kia Soul. The dummy light for oil changes was never set. It would cross my mind at times but then I’d get busy and forget. 23,000 miles later the engine light comes on and the car says…nope! $3000 in repairs, hard lesson to learn. I figure someone needs to hear this today, change your oil!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Damn. Another reason why I prefer to buy new cars these days!
Thank goodness for CarFax. I passed on many others Souls before I found my 2019 because I couldn’t verify the maintenance history or they went too long between oil changes

·
Registered
2012 Soul ! 2019 Optima
31 Posts
Yikes, 23K is a lot of miles but a modern engine with full synthetic should not have failed that soon. What was the actual damage?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
People complain about the fast oil change places.
I figure way better to take the few minutes and few bucks to go there than go where the OP has gone.
And if they screw up, it's on them.
Well, hopefully.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
I figure someone needs to hear this today, change your oil!
You're preachin' to the choir brother!

This forum is all about changing & checking your oil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yikes, 23K is a lot of miles but a modern engine with full synthetic should not have failed that soon. What was the actual damage?
It was probably the factory fill. Who know what type of oil that is.

See this post from bwdz. Same engine with at least 16k on the oil and the engine is full of sludge and it’s trashed. These engines only hold about 4 quarts of oil. That’s a lot of miles for that little bit of oil.

·
Registered
889 Posts
These engines only hold about 4 quarts of oil. That’s a lot of miles for that little bit of oil.
Kia doing it's part in saving the polar bears...
Plus is one great way to keep those engines lasting too long and not be liable for the warranty.
I am a horrible customer for them, I tend to keep my cars 20+ years, my 2000 Hyundai Sonata is still driven my my daughter today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only $3,000. I'm still working on mine, up to about $5,000 because of other screw ups. It's not about the quality of the oil. Modern oils can goa long ways. It's the direct injection using it up in the process!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Modern oils can goa long ways
That's the mentality of trusting "majority" posts on BobIsThe OilGuy sites. I kept fighting those "modern oil can have extended oil change intervals" myths there until I got tired and bored.
Now I don't go there anymore, left them alone in their bubble, to damage their engines.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's the mentality of trusting "majority" posts on BobIsThe OilGuy sites. I kept fighting those "modern oil can have extended oil change intervals" myths there until I got tired and bored.
Now I don't go there anymore, left them alone in their bubble, to damage their engines.
I think they get a false sense of security with those black stone lab tests they do so often and spend so much money on lol. I don’t think they test for engine sludge.

With the money people waste on those tests, they could just change their oil more often and not worry about it.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
2012 Soul ! 2019 Optima
31 Posts
Modern oils and engines have greatly extended miles between oil changes.
My in-laws Ford model T requires a change every 500 miles. My old man had me change oil every 3000 miles.
I change my newer cars every 5000. Easy to remember .
Kia says I can go 7500. 15 times longer than the old Tin Lizzy. The addition of a filter has helped .
The real key is do at least what the manual tells you to do! Far too many people never open the manual.

The tractor is 200 hours or yearly. I wish my cars ran as good after 36 years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Kia also suggests you follow the Severe Maintenance Schedule if any of the following conditions apply. (Most US drivers fall into the severe maintenance schedule)

Oil change intervals for the severe schedule is 3,750 miles (these pictures are from the second generation Soul, non-turbo, but it’s similar for the 3rd, however I think it changed a little for the 2022 model year, so always check your owners manual) .

5,000 is usually fine with modern synthetic oils, but in a GDI engine I wouldn’t even push it that far. The 2.0L MPI in the 3rd Gen Soul, it should be just fine though.

Some engines are harder on oil than others and it seems like our Korean engines are pretty hard on oil.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

Font Number Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Reactions: SoNic67
1 - 18 of 18 Posts