Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
In regards to "Total Quartz " motor oil, while it may be a recommended oil it is not required nor does it appear to be an oil used by Kia dealerships. Neither Kia of Valencia or Ventura in SoCal specify which motor oil they use and would not indicate any preference about any brand when I asked about it.
Furthermore, the Pennzoil warranty includes labor and not just the parts themselves which the above "GeoSoul" incorrectly "guess"s. Here are the warranty particulars:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
In regards to "Total Quartz " motor oil, while it may be a recommended oil it is not required nor does it appear to be an oil used by Kia dealerships. Neither Kia of Valencia or Ventura in SoCal specify which motor oil they use and would not indicate any preference about any brand when I asked about it.
Furthermore, the Pennzoil warranty includes labor and not just the parts themselves which the above "GeoSoul" incorrectly "guess"s. Here are the warranty particulars:
I'll try to me a little more factual honey. I wish we lived in a world where free insurance with a bottle of engine oil becomes the ticketed item for a half million mile engine warranty, free of charge.

Unfortunately these types of warranties are extremely limited. I honestly was trying to give you props for using it as a possible resource.

The warranty is quite clear that labor only applies to the effort to replace said part. For example, if the piston rings fail, the 15 or so minutes to thread them back onto the piston is the only time covered. NOT pulling the engine and replacing it. Read the verbage, it's very clear labor associated with THE PART is the only covered time.

So when I said labor is the killer expense in an engine rebuild, this warranty won't cover that $5,000 part of the bill. In fact you have to pay that upfront and then be reimbursed for the part / labor line item, and that's provided no other lesser warranty or insurance is in effect:

PAYMENT OF CLAIMS IS LIMITED TO ONE (1) CLAIM FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT OF "QUALIFIED REPAIR EXPENSES" THAT YOU ACTUALLY PAY TO REPAIR COVERED DAMAGES. "Qualified Repair Expenses" are defined as (1) actual parts and labor expenses necessarily incurred to repair damaged "Listed Engine Parts" only, which shall be no more than the time to make repairs or to replace the "Listed Engine Parts" allocated by Chilton's Flat Rate Guide or other industry accepted flat rate guide times (x) the commercial repair shop's posted hourly rate, plus (+), if necessary, the reasonable cost of a replacement engine part of like kind and quality; and (2) expenses incurred within the warranty coverage duration as stated above. THE PAYMENT OF A CLAIM IS LIMITED TO THE LESSER OF $5,000.00 OR THE ACTUAL CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE AS DETERMINED BY AN INDEPENDENT APPRAISER.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll try to me a little more factual honey. I wish we lived in a world where free insurance with a bottle of engine oil becomes the ticketed item for a half million mile engine warranty, free of charge.

Unfortunately these types of warranties are extremely limited. I honestly was trying to give you props for using it as a possible resource.

The warranty is quite clear that labor only applies to the effort to replace said part. For example, if the piston rings fail, the 15 or so minutes to thread them back onto the valves is the only time covered. NOT pulling the engine and replacing it. Read the verbage, it's very clear labor associated with THE PART is the only covered time.

So when I said labor is the killer expense in an engine rebuild, this warranty won't cover that $5,000 part of the bill. In fact you have to pay that upfront and then be reimbursed for the part / labor line item, and that's provided no other lesser warranty or insurance is in effect:

PAYMENT OF CLAIMS IS LIMITED TO ONE (1) CLAIM FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT OF "QUALIFIED REPAIR EXPENSES" THAT YOU ACTUALLY PAY TO REPAIR COVERED DAMAGES. "Qualified Repair Expenses" are defined as (1) actual parts and labor expenses necessarily incurred to repair damaged "Listed Engine Parts" only, which shall be no more than the time to make repairs or to replace the "Listed Engine Parts" allocated by Chilton's Flat Rate Guide or other industry accepted flat rate guide times (x) the commercial repair shop's posted hourly rate, plus (+), if necessary, the reasonable cost of a replacement engine part of like kind and quality; and (2) expenses incurred within the warranty coverage duration as stated above. THE PAYMENT OF A CLAIM IS LIMITED TO THE LESSER OF $5,000.00 OR THE ACTUAL CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE AS DETERMINED BY AN INDEPENDENT APPRAISER.
Your interpretation of the above is different from mine. First, you didn't even have the warranty particulars before you guessed that labor wasn't included and it only covered parts. Then I posted the particulars of the warranty and now it's evident labor is included. That includes, "EXPENSES INCURRED within the warranty coverage duration as stated above." Obviously that means the labor to do the job up to $5000.00 or the actual cost of the vehicle..." You also don't have to proceed with anything first since the warranty claim has to be approved prior to the work on the engine so you'll know what, if anything, you might have to pay. Given that the warranty coverage if free and is in effect after the manufacturer warranty ends, you've got nothing to lose by having it...

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Your interpretation of the above is different from mine. First, you didn't even have the warranty particulars before you guessed that labor wasn't included and it only covered parts. Then I posted the particulars of the warranty and now it's evident labor is included. That includes, "EXPENSES INCURRED within the warranty coverage duration as stated above." Obviously that means the labor to do the job up to $5000.00 or the actual cost of the vehicle..." You also don't have to proceed with anything first since the warranty claim has to be approved prior to the work on the engine so you'll know what, if anything, you might have to pay. Given that the warranty coverage if free and is in effect after the manufacturer warranty ends, you've got nothing to lose by having it...
Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 134122 View attachment 134124 checked my oil with 15 miles on it. Checked it again at 1000 miles. Both times it was full. Checked my oil before doing my first oils change at 2556 and it was down about a1/2 quart.

So i burnt 1/2 quart in 1556 miles. It's not leaking anywhere, i checked. Anybody else using oil?
I've got a 2014 whole shebang and I've always had to add oil at about 3k miles. I change the oil every 6k. but almost always have to add oil at about 3k miles. no leaks, just burning oil I suppose. These are pretty dang cheap engines so it doesn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Someone, please please please show me actual proof of any oil brand (Pennzoil or other) actually honoring a "lubrication warranty". I'd LOVE to see such a thing since it's likely stored next to the unicorn on the shelf.

Greg

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
55 Posts
Someone, please please please show me actual proof of any oil brand (Pennzoil or other) actually honoring a "lubrication warranty". I'd LOVE to see such a thing since it's likely stored next to the unicorn on the shelf.

Greg
They're not unicorns, they're Smurfs.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I've got a 2014 whole shebang and I've always had to add oil at about 3k miles. I change the oil every 6k. but almost always have to add oil at about 3k miles. no leaks, just burning oil I suppose. These are pretty dang cheap engines so it doesn't surprise me at all.
How many miles on your 2014 Soul Bean? About how much oil are you adding at 3,000 miles? Lastly, has it been a reliable vehicle for you?

Sorry for all the questions. I liked the Whole Shabang package. Too bad they did away with that as time went on for Gen2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your quote above should read.....
In regards to "Total Quartz " motor oil, while it may be a recommended oil it is not required nor does it appear to be an oil used by Kia dealerships.... IN MY LITTLE NECK OF THE WOODS.

However, my little neck of the woods does not necessarily apply to other little necks of the woods, scattered all over the USA mainland.

I helped you-out there Hamster.
Because your posts are nothing more than a mangled mess of scrambled eggs, I decided to reverse course and not await you placing me on-ignore.'
Instead, I'll put you on-ignore.
See Ya and best wishes, while owning S. Korean vehicles.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Greg
From a thread on it from Bobstheoilguy: "Pennzoil has had that warranty for years. I've seen claims paid and I've seen claims denied." Also from the same thread: "
And It Isn't Hard To Follow.
Recent research found that at least 80 percent of those who enrolled found it easy to follow and met the requirements of this program.

How to Enroll.
Simply fill out and submit our on-line application. The Pennzoil� limited warranty is only available in the United States and Canada. For full details on this Limited Warranty Program, call 1-877-422-7645 and switch to Pennzoil� oils and greases to take better care of your engine!

Pennzoil Warranty Headquarters
P.O. Box 1361
Buffalo, New York 14240-1361
1-877-422-7645
So, if you and somebody else doubts it, why the heck don't you call them and talk to them about it instead instead of shooting your mouth off before knowing the facts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your quote above should read.....
In regards to "Total Quartz " motor oil, while it may be a recommended oil it is not required nor does it appear to be an oil used by Kia dealerships.... IN MY LITTLE NECK OF THE WOODS.

However, my little neck of the woods does not necessarily apply to other little necks of the woods, scattered all over the USA mainland.

I helped you-out there Hamster.
Because your posts are nothing more than a mangled mess of scrambled eggs, I decided to reverse course and not await you placing me on-ignore.'
Instead, I'll put you on-ignore.
See Ya and best wishes, while owning S. Korean vehicles.
Hey look sport, why don't list specific dealerships that specify they use only Quarts motor oil in their service bays for Kias. For my part, I've listed those who don't and I've read my owner's manual as well. Have you? And what's with the "while owning S. Korean vehicles" supposed to mean? This is a forum for 2020 Kia Souls, so which specific 2020 Soul model do you own? Or, are you just a troll?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Boys and girls, relax, have a beer and enjoy the 4th!

The question is not so much "WHAT oil do you use", it's "Do you change it before it turns to road tar?"

Happy Trails Mates!
:cool:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts