Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
checked my oil with 15 miles on it. Checked it again at 1000 miles. Both times it was full. Checked my oil before doing my first oils change at 2556 and it was down about a1/2 quart.

So i burnt 1/2 quart in 1556 miles. It's not leaking anywhere, i checked. Anybody else using oil?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If you're driving it slow, you've probably not seated the rings yet. That's why I always break in a new engine "FAST".
Only when an engine is "Working hard" are the rings forced out against the cylinder walls and properly seated.
On both of my Souls, I've had them up to over 100 mph, within two days of purchase. Neither one ever used any oil.
My 2020 Soul LX, gets an oil change every 3k miles, and in over 12k miles, it's used NO oil.

Cheers mate, and Happy Motoring,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the car to commute. 75 miles each way average speed 70mph for 90 minutes each way. The rings should have seated by now.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
"Anybody else using oil?" gave me a chuckle Auto. You're new here, so maybe haven't read through the forum yet.

I honestly wouldn't get too worked up at this point. You're doing the right thing, monitor if for a few weeks and if the problem persists, you've got a great warranty to take advantage of. It's a new engine, it's breaking in and who the heck knows what's going on inside :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I checked my oil when I brought it home full
450 miles added 6 0z
744- 2 oz
2277 - 3oz

At 3000 took it in for change----will monitor from here...Kia did not give a Sh&%

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
55 Posts
If you're driving it slow, you've probably not seated the rings yet. That's why I always break in a new engine "FAST".
Only when an engine is "Working hard" are the rings forced out against the cylinder walls and properly seated.

On both of my Souls, I've had them up to over 100 mph, within two days of purchase. Neither one ever used any oil.
My 2020 Soul LX, gets an oil change every 3k miles, and in over 12k miles, it's used NO oil.

Cheers mate, and Happy Motoring,
FLH :cool:
Where did you get this information?

·
Registered
65 Posts
View attachment 134122 View attachment 134124 checked my oil with 15 miles on it. Checked it again at 1000 miles. Both times it was full. Checked my oil before doing my first oils change at 2556 and it was down about a1/2 quart.

So i burnt 1/2 quart in 1556 miles. It's not leaking anywhere, i checked. Anybody else using oil?
That oil is ugly at 2500 miles. Is this a TGDI engine?
My MPI 2.0 only looked amber brown at 2500 - dipstick oil sitting on the Full mark.

Run a good oil and use 5w30.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Valvoline Modern Engine
Valvoline Advanced
Mobil-1 EP
Castrol EP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joemsj51, no its a regular 2.0 mpi. The oil wasn't black but it certainly didn't look new.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That oil is ugly at 2500 miles. Is this a TGDI engine?
My MPI 2.0 only looked amber brown at 2500 - dipstick oil sitting on the Full mark.

Run a good oil and use 5w30.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Valvoline Modern Engine
Valvoline Advanced
Mobil-1 EP
Castrol EP.
I'm going with pennzoil ultra platinum in my GT turbo engine because its been shown not to cook-off and coke the valves. That oil enables one to enroll in the pennzoil 500,000 mile warranty and it doesn't hurt to have the extra protection on the engine. Additionally, I put the chevron techron fuel system cleaner in at a 6000 mile interval since it's recommended in the owner's manual to do so. I use top tier gasolines as recommended in the manual for this engine as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm going with pennzoil ultra platinum in my GT turbo engine because its been shown not to cook-off and coke the valves. That oil enables one to enroll in the pennzoil 500,000 mile warranty and it doesn't hurt to have the extra protection on the engine. Additionally, I put the chevron techron fuel system cleaner in at a 6000 mile interval since it's recommended in the owner's manual to do so. I use top tier gasolines as recommended in the manual for this engine as well.
I operate very similar to you. Almost identical.
Only difference is you are a Hamster and my wife claims I'm Chicken.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This time around I used quaker full synthetic 5w20 with a original hyundai filter. Next oil change I'm going to move to a 5w30 or 10w30 depending on how the oil looks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I watched one of those recent youtube presentations from a oil/filter tech guru who takes the filters apart, torture tests oils, etc and he states the hyundai oem filters are of high quality. I bought a bunch for future use by my private mechanic when he does my oil changes. He stamps my book, gives me the work order copy with the oil and filter application noted and before it all goes into the glove compartment, I take a picture of it and I send it to the pennzoil warranty website.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
This is the Extended Warranty from Pennzoil hamsterhoney mentions. It's free of charge.

Up to 15 years/500,000 miles, Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty covering 15 vehicle engine parts that may fail due to engine wear, or which experience abnormal wear, because Pennzoil® motor oil failed to provide proper lubrication. You have 2 levels of protection available:
  • Coverage up to 15 years/500,000 miles for customers exclusively using Pennzoil®
    top portfolio level full synthetic motor oil (i.e., Pennzoil Ultra PlatinumTM Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Maximum PowerTM, Pennzoil HybridTM, Pennzoil Start / Stop ProtectionTM, Pennzoil Extended CareTM)
  • Coverage up to 10 years or 300,000 miles (whichever is first) – if you exclusively use other Pennzoil® motor oil products (i.e., Pennzoil® motor oil, Pennzoil Professional® motor oil, Pennzoil GoldTM Synthetic Blend motor oil, Pennzoil® High Mileage, Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil, or Pennzoil Platinum® High Mileage Full Synthetic motor oil).
Warranty FAQ

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
65 Posts
I watched one of those recent youtube presentations from a oil/filter tech guru who takes the filters apart, torture tests oils, etc and he states the hyundai oem filters are of high quality. I bought a bunch for future use by my private mechanic when he does my oil changes. He stamps my book, gives me the work order copy with the oil and filter application noted and before it all goes into the glove compartment, I take a picture of it and I send it to the pennzoil warranty website.
You don't think SOPUS already knows South Korean soft rod bearings are garbage?
Don't try to blame them when those rod bearings come unglued. They have much better documentations and much better trial lawyers than you.

SOPUS probably smiles, every time they read they are going to court against a South Korean vehicle owner.
What you'll hear is Case Dismissed ..... real early..... maybe even pretrial.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh brother, I don't know where you come up with this stuff but I think Pennzoil will stand by its warranty because its name and reputation ride on it. It would be more harmful to the company to have the bad internet reviews on its warranty and policy than to eat it on an occasional warranty claim. BTW, Consumer Reports recently released the top ten worst case engines that couldn't make it to 200,000 miles and even much less and Hyundai/Kia engines weren't among them. And that's based on real world driving conditions with drivers living in our world...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh brother, I don't know where you come up with this stuff but I think Pennzoil will stand by its warranty because its name and reputation ride on it. It would be more harmful to the company to have the bad internet reviews on its warranty and policy than to eat it on an occasional warranty claim. BTW, Consumer Reports recently released the top ten worst case engines that couldn't make it to 200,000 miles and even much less and Hyundai/Kia engines weren't among them. And that's based on real world driving conditions with drivers living in our world...
Ummmm wrong. We have to prove EVERYTHING. If we didn't - Pennzoil would have a customer complain vehicle line that's miles long outside their corporation door. These customers would want free engines.
I really don;t know how you think. But sometimes it's not very clear. Perfect proof of your cloudiness is thinking that your warranty will be denied, if you don;t use their oils or oil filters.

Please..... put me on ignore. I promise never to reply to one of your posts again..... in exchange.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ummmm wrong. We have to prove EVERYTHING. If we didn't - Pennzoil would have a customer complain vehicle line that's miles long outside their corporation door. These customers would want free engines.
I really don;t know how you think. But sometimes it's not very clear. Perfect proof of your cloudiness is thinking that your warranty will be denied, if you don;t use their oils or oil filters.

Please..... put me on ignore. I promise never to reply to one of your posts again..... in exchange.
Your post is nonsense. For starters, of course you'll have to prove you've used pennzoil motor oil as per their stated warranty requirements and you do that by changing the oil in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule and downing loading copies of the receipts on the pennzoil website. If you could comprehend that, you wouldn't have posted what you did. AGAIN, we're speaking about pennzoils' warranty which is in addition to and over and beyond the warranty that comes with your new vehicle. Now do you get it?!!!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I would guess the coverage for any of the 15 engine parts from Pennzoil would be a relatively small fraction of a repair bill. Labor would be the killer. In some cases the documentation efforts might cost more than the part they'll replace. Of course as always with warranties and insurance, the devil is in the details.

Good for Pennzoil however, they have used another tool for marketing. They are more than likely underwritten by an insurance company and the premiums are evenly distributed in the price per bottle of oil (probably in pennies).

Thanks joe for the heads up on Kia Total Quartz. For those of us who don't know, this is what he's referring to:

TOTAL & KIA: THE ALLIANCE OF SKILLS

TOTAL Lubrifiants and Kia Motors Corporation have been partners since 2011: under the terms of the agreement, Total Lubrifiants will be Kia Motors Corporation’s recommended partner for the sale of lubricants across all Kia’s after sales service networks in participating countries.

“For the past 5 years, Total has demonstrated that it has the worldwide coverage, strong marketing capabilities and high-quality lubricant technology to meet the needs of our Networks. Total will be a key partner for us in our global aftermarket strategy to enhance Kia customer and dealer satisfaction”, commented Steven Yoon, Vice President Overseas Service Division at Kia Motors Corp.

• On March 2016, Kia Motors Corporation and Total Lubrifiants extended their strategic partnership agreement. For another 5 years, Total will remain Kia Motors Corporation’s preferred aftermarket lubricants supplier for Kia vehicles. Total branded automotive lubricants will be exclusively recommended and available to customers across Kia’s service network of more than 5,500 dealers in around 180 countries, including West European markets from January 1st, 2017.
  • The extension of the initial cooperation, which started in 2011, extends benefits to all Kia vehicles owners and Kia dealers. The Kia networks will receive access to high-performance Total Quartz engine oils, specifically developed to optimize Kia engines’ performance, reliability and offers potential fuel economy benefits*. Kia and Total will also develop joint marketing service programs aiming at increasing Kia dealers’ profitability, customer retention and customer satisfaction.
Through this partnership, Kia and Total Lubrifiants confirm their shared vision of strengthening their growing presence in the global marketplace and combining their strengths in an “Alliance of Skills” to developing high-quality products and services for an unrivalled Kia Customer Service experience.

“We are delighted to extend our global cooperation with Kia Motors Corp. This renewed Partnership confirms Total’s strong commitment to accompany Kia Motors, in the long run, in its successful international expansion and to deliver innovative lubricants, recognized Total marketing expertise and dedicated aftermarket programs to Kia dealers and customers” says Pierre Duhot, General Manager Automotive Division at Total Lubricants (2016).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts