Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 soul base m/t
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They did not find anything wrong with my CAT. They updated the computer and sent me on my way. Immediately my MPG went down by %25 (thats 1/4) i refilled after the recall. I brought it back a week later and they reset the computer and I had an oil and filter change done. It did not fix anything. I brought it back after giving that some time because nothing changed. Im at 90k miles in a 2014 base m/t. They had it for the day and apparently found nothing wrong with it. What should I do when I pick it up tomorrow? Tire pressure is fine, air filter is fine. I dont get why it dropped so much. Maybe the CAT/engine is damaged?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,481 Posts
Try measuring your mpg not relying on the computer. It's not accurate in most cases. I have noticed a difference in range on the computer after the reflash.

First tank fillup showed about a 20 mile less range & second fill showed about 20 more than the standard 411 it usually displays after every fill up.

However, I manually calculate mpg and it's the same as always, which is approx 3 less than the computer shows.

Reactions: Soul15 and Buzz

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I'm getting ready do this "update" on my next oil change. WTF?
It changed some of the personality of the trip computer and I've noticed cruise control will just turn off, especially at lower speeds, where it never did that before the "shock therapy" to my Souls brain.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
665 Posts
Dunno. MPG on my 2015 has been down since I had the recall work, but I'm still within the "noise" level, it'll take a while longer to form an opinion.

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I asked at the dealership when I had the reflash done "what does it do?" The lady at the desk said it keeps the catalytic converter from overheating. The manager said he thought it did something else but wasn't sure. Great.

It reminds me of an old movie where they bring in a glass of water & a big pill. When asked what the pill is for, they're told "never you mind, take it, it will relax you."

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2019 Bad Soul is also losing mileage. I just filled it up, the range says 339. I was in Kia a few weeks ago, to have that software update done. Or so they told me that's what they were doing. The car only has 3947 miles on it. Granted I live in Fla. The a.c. is always on, and it is all stop and go traffic. Next to nothing on the 1 freeway here. Still that's lousy mileage. When I bought it in Nov, the range read up near 400 when I bought gas. Is this normal mileage, or is something wrong going on?

·
Registered
2014 soul base m/t
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats funny, my mpg goes up the harder i blast the a/c. At least it used to.... What the heck was this update?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the recall done in April. 2014 base MT driven in "exurban" traffic. It had no impact on mileage (measured or Trip Computer, TC consistently 10% higher). The range was also unaffected, but the range is a projection based on the TC mileage, so it is redundant. Unless you're driving under the same traffic conditions the change is more likely "noisy data". AC use doesn't seem to affect my soul'mileage; rowing the gearbox does, however!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Update What?

Update your (PC) Drivers! Update your Operating System! Update your Apps! Just Update your Life! :eek:nthego:
Or, be afraid,be very afraid :eek:nthego:
Have A good one (updated):joyous:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well, the main thing is ignore your dashboard. The only way you know what your MPG has been and what it may have changed to is to measure it at the pump by recording miles and filling your tank. Everything else is guesswork.

I doubt the OP lost 25% fuel economy based on the pump. There's not likely to be a computer update that could be done that would detune the engine that much without anyone noticing in the drive - lugging, sputtering, spark knock, etc. If the car was driving good before, and driving good after, I'd bet there's no difference if measured at the pump. Because 25% means going from 30 MPG to 22.5 MPG, under the same conditions, and that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
665 Posts
1 1/2 tanks past the recall work, I haven't seen any change. Current tank is actually running considerably better mpg, though that might be due to warm weather (my Soul gets better mileage in warm weather). The one thing I did notice is that (at the last fill) the dash mpg reading was far closer to the real mpg. (Not the closest it's ever been, but it's usually 1-2mpg optimistic, this time it was only 0.1mpg optimistic. Too soon to tell if that's just random noise, or if it's actually more accurate.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts