Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new in 2014. Pretty much trouble free, until.... I recently replace pads and rotors on all 4 wheels and I completely wore down my right rear pads in 3 weeks. I thought it might be a bad caliper so I replaced the right rear caliper last night and put new rear pads on both sides. Went for a test drive after dark and after about 30 miles I stoped and both rear rotors were glowing red. This morning I jacked up the back end and I can barely turn the rear wheels by hand. I also noticed last night that when I was going 40 mph or less that when I took my foot off the gas I would slow down to a stop like I was applying the brakes. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bought new in 2014. Pretty much trouble free, until.... I recently replace pads and rotors on all 4 wheels and I completely wore down my right rear pads in 3 weeks. I thought it might be a bad caliper so I replaced the right rear caliper last night and put new rear pads on both sides. Went for a test drive after dark and after about 30 miles I stoped and both rear rotors were glowing red. This morning I jacked up the back end and I can barely turn the rear wheels by hand. I also noticed last night that when I was going 40 mph or less that when I took my foot off the gas I would slow down to a stop like I was applying the brakes. Any thoughts?
Parking brake adjustment/reset?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
On my 2010 Exclaim the park brake is a drum type separate from the pads that are used for stopping the car. So if the 2014 is the same then no it will not compress the pads on the rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s going in the shop tomorrow. I’m a little tentative to mess with the parking brake. Thanks for the info. You guys were a big help!!!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of glowing rotors. Not cool at all. :biggrin:

I wonder how he compressed the caliper if he didn't know about the e-brake. Brute force?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,397 Posts
Hey Ray, is there any chance there is a failed speed sensor on that wheel, possibly triggering a skid control action that applies braking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The flanges on some after market pads are too large for the calipers and need to be filed/ground down a bit so they move freely in the caliper shoe. I just use a grinder to cut them down using the old pad as a template. My guess is that the pads are sticking in the caliper and aren't moving back once the cylinder releases pressure, wearing down your pads and heating your rotors (and eating your gas).

·
Registered
381 Posts
The 2014 uses the rear calipers for parking brake.
I inspected the rear brakes on my '16. I was surprised to see the parking brake cable hooked up to the caliper. I'm used to seeing the drum brake in the center of the rear rotors. It was my first time seeing this system.

I will be interested to see how this all plays out. Good luck!

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
80 Posts
Reason you are having trouble with the rear calipers is because your 2104 is coming back from the future!!!!
Lol. No, but seriously it sounds like a parking brake issue. Isn't your brake light warning lit up on your dash?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does the parking brake connect to both rear wheel calipers? I thought it was only on one side.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My parking/emergency brake cable goes to both rear calipers on my '16 +.
Good to know. I would not have guessed that. I knew it was not a drum-in-disc design, but figured it only applied the brake to one rear disc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts