Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Wonder if they will have any manual transmission options.

Figure my 2011 has a couple years left at least starting to see what options exist. Ive always went with manuals but seems that there are less and less options every year
Unfortunately no. They discontinued the manual transmission in the 2022 Souls. Only transmission available in 2023 is the IVT (CVT). They discontinued the Turbo/DCT model too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Kia Inc probably lost a million sales of the Soul over the years, simply because no AWD is available.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,450 Posts

Figure my 2011 has a couple years left at least starting to see what options exist. Ive always went with manuals but seems that there are less and less options every year
Sadly, like hammerhead says, no manual transmission.

It looks like the automotive industry isn't putting them in new North American SUVs. The Subaru Crosstrek is about the only one I'm aware of.

There are some hatchbacks & sedans still with stick shift variants, but dang, a hatchback still isn't a SUV. :mad:

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Kia Inc probably lost a million sales of the Soul over the years, simply because no AWD is available.
Yeah, I think they are banking that market will navigate over to the Seltos, along with the turbo crowd. It's looking more and more like the Seltos is the favored child in the sandbox. The Souls world is getting smaller each year.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Manual Transmission Statistics
  1. About 13% of the cars sold in the US today offer manual transmission.
  2. Idaho has a 4.20% manual transmission purchase rate.
  3. Harrisonburg, VA has a 5.84% purchase rate.
  4. Manuals are $800-$1,000 cheaper than their automatic twins.
  5. A 10-year-old manual is more efficient than a 10-year-old automatic.
  6. Gas mileage improves by 2 to 5 mpg with a manual transmission.
  7. 80% of manuals produced globally end up in either Asia or Europe.
  8. 66% of drivers know how to operate a stick shift.
8 Manual Transmission Statistics (2022 Update) | House Grail

In 2015, four out of ten light vehicles produced worldwide was equipped with manual transmission, while automatic cars represented around 34 percent of the global share. In the European Union, vehicles with manual transmission are more common than automatic transmission vehicles, while the majority of U.S.-assembled vehicles are fitted with automatic transmission and continuously variable transmission. U.S. motor vehicle transmission and powertrain parts manufacturing gross output came to some 40 billion U.S. dollars in 2017.

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
  1. A 10-year-old manual is more efficient than a 10-year-old automatic.
  2. Gas mileage improves by 2 to 5 mpg with a manual transmission.
This isn’t as true anymore with CVTs, but after 10 years, you’re probably going to have the same manual transmission and be on your 2nd or 3rd CVT by then 🐴 😆

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
This isn’t as true anymore with CVTs, but after 10 years, you’re probably going to have the same manual transmission and be on your 2nd or 3rd CVT by then 🐴 😆
I know what you mean rhysoul. I think there are some caveats with CVT mileage in that you must drive them in ECO and conservatively.

I'm going from the FUELLY.COM numbers. The average MPG for GEN3 CVT (IVT) for 2020, 2021& 2022 is 28.8 & 28.9. There's virtually no input from stick shift drivers during that time.

Going back to 2018 Souls, the 4 stick shift driver inputs were 32.0, 28.9, 28.5 & 33 mpg. My 2014 Soul averages 28.9. I could do better with less idling and a softer foot!

I'm trying to prove that IVT in real world mpg results are better & so far haven't been able to do that. I agree that CVT "can" do better, but it doesn't look like that's the case for the average driver. BUT, it makes for a good advertising.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I know what you mean rhysoul. I think there are some caveats with CVT mileage in that you must drive them in ECO and conservatively.

I'm going from the FUELLY.COM numbers. The average MPG for GEN3 CVT (IVT) for 2020, 2021& 2022 is 28.8 & 28.9. There's virtually no input from stick shift drivers during that time.

Going back to 2018 Souls, the 4 stick shift driver inputs were 32.0, 28.9, 28.5 & 33 mpg. My 2014 Soul averages 28.9. I could do better with less idling and a softer foot!

I'm trying to prove that IVT in real world mpg results are better & so far haven't been able to do that. I agree that CVT "can" do better, but it doesn't look like that's the case for the average driver. BUT, it makes for a good advertising.
Wow, I didn’t know that. I though the whole point manufacturers keep moving to CVTs is for the mpg improvements. Maybe the real reason is because they cost less to manufacturer? 🤨

What does it say for the 2nd Gen automatic vs the 3rd Gen CVT?

Maybe people have to drive their cars with CVTs at 80mph on the highway bouncing the tach off the rev limiter while pulling stuck cars out of the sugar sand on the way to the only Pizza Hut that still has in-restaurant dining. I hear you get around 56.9 mpg doing that. 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Maybe people have to drive their cars with CVTs at 80mph on the highway bouncing the tach off the rev limiter while pulling stuck cars out of the sugar sand on the way to the only Pizza Hut that still has in-restaurant dining. I hear you get around 56.9 mpg doing that. 🤭
LOL. That IS conservative driving yeah?

Van Nuys Kia has 2 of the 2022 Turbos today with window stickers around $30k I think.
Got my airbag software recall done. Salesman came out as I was looking at window stickers. When I told him I was just waiting he went away fast, which was OK by me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You asked for it.... And today I drove to my favorite moonshine joint, bought 2 gallons. Took several snorts , continued on for 87 miles to my favorite pizza place, ate 2 large pizzas. On Monday they have a buy one get one free deal. Asked for a half glass of water, went outside and filled it up with shine. By the time I got back in my food was ready. I tell you that hooch gives you a appetite. Before I left, I gave my little Kia a good size shot of shine in the tank, by the time I hit the road , she had flames coming outta the tail pipe. Only thing I could find stuck was a loaded tractor trailer. I hooked to it and I'm a telling you, that little Kia soul had that 80,000 lb. truck back in the road. Flame coming outta my tail pipe scorched his bumper. He wouldn't pay me on account of that. When I got back and turned off into the sugar sand that thing was spinning so bad , it buried the front wheels up to the axles. I was so drunk I didn't care, so I just staggered home. All that spinning really hurt my gas mileage. It was only getting 5.45 mpg. After I pass out and wake up, I need one Y'all to come and pull it out for me. I'll have a hang over, so don't bother asking for any money. I gots around 3 ounces left in the 2nd jug if you want it. ✌

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Wow, I didn’t know that. I though the whole point manufacturers keep moving to CVTs is for the mpg improvements. Maybe the real reason is because they cost less to manufacturer? 🤨

What does it say for the 2nd Gen automatic vs the 3rd Gen CVT?
Gen 3 averages a couple MPGs better than Gen 2 in real world driving for non manual transmissions. Not earth shattering, but still a little better.

I think the test track higher MPG helps their CAFE standards (ECO mode and conservative driving).

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
569 Posts
the EPA’s mpg figures are based on a specific 100% gasoline mixture, not the 10% ethanol 90% gasoline mixture most of us use. That’s one reason most of us rarely, if ever, meet the EPA estimate.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
You asked for it.... And today I drove to my favorite moonshine joint, bought 2 gallons. Took several snorts , continued on for 87 miles to my favorite pizza place, ate 2 large pizzas. On Monday they have a buy one get one free deal. Asked for a half glass of water, went outside and filled it up with shine. By the time I got back in my food was ready. I tell you that hooch gives you a appetite. Before I left, I gave my little Kia a good size shot of shine in the tank, by the time I hit the road , she had flames coming outta the tail pipe. Only thing I could find stuck was a loaded tractor trailer. I hooked to it and I'm a telling you, that little Kia soul had that 80,000 lb. truck back in the road. Flame coming outta my tail pipe scorched his bumper. He wouldn't pay me on account of that. When I got back and turned off into the sugar sand that thing was spinning so bad , it buried the front wheels up to the axles. I was so drunk I didn't care, so I just staggered home. All that spinning really hurt my gas mileage. It was only getting 5.45 mpg. After I pass out and wake up, I need one Y'all to come and pull it out for me. I'll have a hang over, so don't bother asking for any money. I gots around 3 ounces left in the 2nd jug if you want it. ✌
Okay that was pretty good too :LOL:

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Not real world but for for the 2021 Kia Soul, the EPA estimated mpg was higher for the automatic vs the manual - 30mpg (AT) vs 27mpg (MT)

At least for my past two cars I've tended to get better real world mpg versus the EPA estimates.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Not real world but for for the 2021 Kia Soul, the EPA estimated mpg was higher for the automatic vs the manual - 30mpg (AT) vs 27mpg (MT)

At least for my past two cars I've tended to get better real world mpg versus the EPA estimates.
Yeah, by real world I mean what actual fill ups reported on FUELLY are showing, which is 28.9 mpg for the 2021. The EPA estimates simply don't match, but hey, they are THE government and FUELLY shows what actual people get.

Of course MPG ranges wildly because of driving styles and conditions. For the sake of this discussion, we're using the averages.

Only 1 stick shift driver reported for 2021, and it was 28.1 mpg

Kia Soul MPG - Actual MPG from 1,646 Kia Soul owners.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I had a '91 Acura Integra with manual trans. At 19 years and 305,000 miles the clutch/trans was still original. If you've not done burnouts, you should be able to last a while longer.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts