Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more turbo or x line. Just saw this on the internet news. Only engine will be the 2.0. Guess it's true, we will see. Had pictures posted, new grill. Different lights up front. 馃え

Registered
Just saw this direct from Kia

I like it a lot. The refreshed front and rear lights is my favorite part. Was never too fond of the front end or that wrap around tail light thing.

I hope this refresh lifts sales even more, because for a while there were rumors of the Soul being discontinued, and that would be disappointing.

I don鈥檛 think the turbo version sold very well, I have yet to see one in person. So I don鈥檛 think that will hurt the Soul much.

This, if prices come back to earth in a couple years, will likely be the 2011s replacement.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Registered
2020 Kia Soul Turbo
I gotta say, I was really looking forward to the 23 facelift, but am a bit disappointed. I love the new wheels and revised rear-bumper sculpting, but the front almost looks too narrow. I'm glad they got rid of the split headlamp design, but it looks like they didn't really know what to do with the lower front fascia as a result.

Losing the Turbo is a disappointment, thought I can understand if it wasn't selling that well. I have the 2020 Turbo model and LOVE it, but I haven't seen any other on the road in the 3 years that I've owned mine haha. I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 3 is the end of the line for the Soul. :cry:

Registered
I can鈥檛 help but think that Kia ought to advertise the Soul. I haven鈥檛 seen an ad for the Soul in at least 3 years, but I鈥檝e see plenty of ads for other Kia鈥檚.

Reactions: rhysoul

Registered
I can鈥檛 help but think that Kia ought to advertise the Soul. I haven鈥檛 seen an ad for the Soul in at least 3 years, but I鈥檝e see plenty of ads for other Kia鈥檚.
I hope they do. Come to think about it, I can鈥檛 remember any 3rd generation Soul commercials? I think the hamster thing is played out now, I still like them though, so it would be interesting what type of campaign they come up with. This baby hamster commercial is the last one I remember and it鈥檚 to introduce the 2017 Turbo Soul 馃惞 馃殫 馃挩

Registered
2020 Kia Soul Turbo
I hope they do. Come to think about it, I can鈥檛 remember any 3rd generation Soul commercials? I think the hamster thing is played out now, I still like them though, so it would be interesting what type of campaign they come up with. This baby hamster commercial is the last one I remember and it鈥檚 to introduce the 2017 Turbo Soul 馃惞 馃殫 馃挩

This is the last commercial they produced for the Soul. Talk about a departure from the Hamster days lol

Registered
This is the last commercial they produced for the Soul. Talk about a departure from the Hamster days lol
I think this was the first time I鈥檝e seen it. It鈥檚 like every other car commercial. Very forgettable 馃

Haha, reading the comments.. 鈥渨here are the hamsters, bring back the hamsters, need more hamsters鈥 馃き

Registered
The new grille and lights are a massive upgrade. I never liked the Gen3 front. I think that was a big reason the turbo failed. It was a "quick/sporty" car that didn't look "quick/sporty" at all. But with this kind of change... do we call this the Gen 3.5?

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
Kia has cut it down to just five: LX, S, EX, GT-Line, GT-Line Tech. The X-Line and Turbo have been dropped. That means one remaining powertrain, and it's not the punchy 201-hp turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder.

For 2023, the Soul is powered solely by a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder that produces 147 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 132 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. Power is sent through the front wheels via a CVT transmission. From CarBuzz

Registered
2014 Kia Soul RedZone
Preferring NonTurbo myself.
Never been a fan of turbo at all.
Hoping they resolved GDI by at least adding one throttle body injector.

Also,
Not a fan of CVT.
Have not seen a respectable, budget vehicle, CVT yet.
CVT is still a work in progress.

Registered

Also,
Not a fan of CVT.
The 2.0L in the 3rd generation Soul is MPI only.

I agree with the CVT part. Not really a fan of them and it doesn鈥檛 seem like they鈥檙e going to go back to the trusty 6 speed auto anytime soon. Also sad they discontinued the manual transmission Soul.

The Hyundai-Kia CVT (or IVT if you must) in the Soul seems to be one of the better ones out there in the way it drives, but long term reliability is still unknown. Hopefully they have the issues worked out by now.

Registered

Also,
Not a fan of CVT.
When the headline comes out "Kia's 2.0 MPI IVT engine is a proven, solid & reliable engine" I might consider giving it a go.

I really wish the 2023 had come in an EV flavor with 250 mile range (for the US market).

• Wow

Registered
Just saw this direct from Kia

I like it a lot. The refreshed front and rear lights is my favorite part. Was never too fond of the front end or that wrap around tail light thing.

I hope this refresh lifts sales even more, because for a while there were rumors of the Soul being discontinued, and that would be disappointing.

I don鈥檛 think the turbo version sold very well, I have yet to see one in person. So I don鈥檛 think that will hurt the Soul much.

This, if prices come back to earth in a couple years, will likely be the 2011s replacement.
I didn't notice they got rid of the wrap around faux tail light setup rhysoul. It's kind of hard to see in those media shots of the black top car. Good catch! I agree with you, looks better.

Registered
I didn't notice they got rid of the wrap around faux tail light setup rhysoul. It's kind of hard to see in those media shots of the black top car. Good catch! I agree with you, looks better.
Yeah it was hard to tell on my phone, so I looked on my desktop and zoomed in on this picture. And from what I can tell, it鈥檚 gone, or at least blacked out, thankfully. I want to take a look at the car when dealers get them and maybe test drive one. I really like the refreshed exterior, especially the front.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
I never looked at the sales numbers but I can tell you I can go a month without seeing a turbo gen2 or gen3 in the shop so per that they would account for like 1% of the cars out there. The turbo is probably going away for several reasons besides slow sales. The first one is likely that they can't afford to put the new 1.6 turbo (like in the K5 and other new models) in there and the old one is just probably too outdated and maybe it will not meet emissions or economy standards going forward. The other reason is probably that it uses the dual clutch trans which has to be it's own although it is pretty similar to the Seltos one so now you have 2 parts of the drivetrain to design and keep up with emissions certifications and that is probably very expensive for such a small number of sales.

Registered
Wonder if they will have any manual transmission options.

Figure my 2011 has a couple years left at least starting to see what options exist. Ive always went with manuals but seems that there are less and less options every year

1 - 20 of 39 Posts