Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Soul this last January. Having previously owned a Forte Koup, and I admit that I am a maintenance freak...here it goes. What type of fluid does a IVT use? In ten months I still have no answer. KIA Customer service never answered my two emails. Nor has Castrol or Valvoline. A little history...in thirteen thousand miles, I drained the fluid twice on my 2015 Forte. The material that was on the magnetic drain plug, the first drain, wasn't shocking but there was quite a bit of dark metal shavings. I drained the fluid again, about four thousand miles later. Much less metal on the drain plug this time. I always used Kia SP4 factory fluid. Yes, overkill. All of the old fluid was recycled. Peace of mind. The Forte was stolen, so I bought the new Soul. I haven't put that many miles on it. I have read about transmission temp. requirements, a required "Sensor tool" also needed. If I were to drain out four and two thirds quarts (warm) , and I refilled it with exactly four and two thirds quarts, OE fluid, also warmed up..what are the issues? Does this car have a transmission filter? I haven't gotten an answer from my dealer either. What is this fluid? Why is it such a secret? I thought at least KIA CUSTOMER SERVICE would answer a customer's question! But not the case! In closing, thank you in advance for your help! I will be truly thankful for any input! :)

· Registered
1,938 Posts
You do not want to use SP-4. The IVT is a CVT transmission and you want to use SP-CVT1

Both Hyundai and Kia dealers should sell it.

An alternative is Valvoline CVT. The product sheet says it’s compatible with sp cvt1

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who answered my question! I really appreciate you taking the time! I see the Valvoline fluid is listed as a suitable replacement, with the note: "Will not void factory warranties". One last thing, have any of you heard or read about the transmission temperature issues? ( when doing a drain and refill) In my mind, If I drain out "x amount of fluid" how is there any issue with replacing "x amount" with the exact equal measurement of the IVT fluid? Thanks again, everyone! Take care!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
The issue with that method is always the same as if you had a dipstick, wouldn't you check the level before and after? How did you know what the level was when you started? They do vent and some fluid is always lost over time. Does the temperature have to be exact? I won't advise you that it shouldn't be but if you change the fluid and let the car warm up for about 15 minutes, shift it through the gears a couple of times and when you pull the check plug and you have a decent trickle out that will do it. I have personally pulled the plug out while they are warming up when the trans is still 20 degrees below specified temperature and let it drain out (I always put too much in to start with and then let it drain till level is correct) and then waited to hit 122 degrees and found no noticeable difference.

· Registered
392 Posts
Have read articles where regular transmission fluid was used in a Nissan Murano's CVT transmission (owned a Muano at one time - great car); you get about a mile before the transmission fails; CVT transmissions take a CVT transmission fluid.

· Registered
3,092 Posts
And, we don't even have a CVT transmission! That was Old School, where centrifugal force controlled the increase in gear ratios in the transmission. In the KIA Soul, we have the Intelligent (Computer controlled) Variable Transmission, or IVT.
Totally a horse of a different color. I really love the difference.
I drove a Suzuki SX4 with the CVT....what a totally different feel. Mushy!
The IVT in the KIA Soul, actually 'Shifts', and I (or you) can feel it, just like the older six speed AT.
:cool:

· Registered
1,938 Posts
I knew you were going to say that, but it doesn’t make it true. That’s why I saved this site for you to learn about what the IVT is. (About 3/4 the way down)

😎

Watch Font Auto part Circle Fashion accessory

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Engineering Machine

Font Parallel Number Paper Screenshot

Font Line Rectangle Parallel Slope

Reactions: RickM46

· Registered
1,583 Posts
:cool:I like my ivt. The only cvt I've ever driven was a Nissan versa ,while my pu was in the body shop after being backed into. I wouldn't have a Nissan with a cvt if it was free. I drove it 3 days and hated it. The only good thing about it was insurance paid for it.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
:cool:I like my ivt. The only cvt I've ever driven was a Nissan versa ,while my pu was in the body shop after being backed into. I wouldn't have a Nissan with a cvt if it was free. I drove it 3 days and hated it. The only good thing about it was insurance paid for it.
I don’t know about newer Nissan CVTs (I think some now have simulated shifts too) but the Sentra I had as a rental, and also a rental Dodge Caliber were awful. Step on the gas, the rpm’s go up but the car doesn’t go anywhere. Droning engine sounds and boring to drive.

The Elantra I had as a rental when my Soul was in the body shop was the best CVT I’ve driven so far. If you didn’t know it was a CVT or how a modern CVT works you would think it was a regular old traditional transmission with gears. It was very nice.

I still am not sure if I would buy one yet until they prove themselves to be reliable in the long term. But the way manufacturers keep switching to them I may not have a choice. 🦃

· Registered
684 Posts
The CVT on my Soul is the second one I have, the other is on my wife’s 2012 Subaru Impreza. I like both of them but prefer the IVT version of the CVT that’s on my Soul. It just seems to drive better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts