Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first oil change at Kia dealer at 5000 miles. 5W-20 oil was used. After 2000 miles I noticed owners manual required 0W-20 synthetic oil. Retuned to dealer and changed oil again to required 0W-20. The oil filler cap on recall has 5W-20 printed on it and a new cap with 0W-20 has been ordered. Any engine or warranty issues to deal with? I am back to higher miles per gallon.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
5w20 and 0w20 is the same weight at operating temperature (the 20). The 0w and 5w (W stands for Winter) is for when the oil is cold, like temperatures below 0° F.

You’ll be fine with either one. The owners manual up until the 2022 model year allowed 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30, and even higher in other countries. They recently changed it in the US to 0w20 (thanks CAFE) but it’s the same engine, and honestly, if it was mine I’d use 5w30 anyway. But you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thank you very much for that reply, Rhysoul. You suggest using 5W-20 which I think would offer more wear protection and is cheaper. The slight increase in gas mileage with OW-20 may not be worth it.
It’s probably such a small difference you won’t even notice it. In the colder months and with the “winter” blend of fuel, you’ll typically get a couple mpg less than you will in the warmer summer.

On my Soul and other cars I’ve had in the past, I usually get 1-2mpg less in the winter (I use the car fax app to keep track of my mpg). That might be what you’re noticing now that the temperature is beginning to go up, so is your mpg.

Reactions: Tree 44

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,460 Posts
Thank you very much for that reply, Rhysoul. You suggest using 5W-20 which I think would offer more wear protection and is cheaper. The slight increase in gas mileage with OW-20 may not be worth it.
Your right Rikia, the "slight" increase will more than likely be miniscule to none. If you want to dig deeper into wear protection, make sure the oil is rated at GF-6 and SP. You can find that info on the back of the bottle. You can also ask your dealer for that information.

You are already doing the best thing to protect your engine by simply keeping up with those oil changes. Good job!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am still using 5W20 extended performance/life full synthetic oil in our 2015 GDI EX and topping up less than 700 ml between oil changes. (0.74 US quarts).

If the factory manual says to go with 0W20, then perhaps do so until either the service manager at the dealership makes a good argument to go to 5W20 or you start losing an unreasonable amount of oil between oil changes.

The 2022 Kia Soul has an MPI engine. MPI = multiport injection. In principle, an MPI engine should not have the same maintenance and oil loss issues experienced with the GDI engine in the 2nd generation Souls. GDI = gasoline direct injection.

Like GeoSoul says, frequent oil changes are half the battle.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am still using 5W20 extended performance/life full synthetic oil in our 2015 GDI EX and topping up less than 700 ml between oil changes. (0.74 US quarts).

If the factory manual says to go with 0W20, then perhaps do so until either the service manager at the dealership makes a good argument to go to 5W20 or you start losing an unreasonable amount of oil between oil changes.

The 2022 Kia Soul has an MPI engine. MPI = multiport injection. In principle, an MPI engine should not have the same maintenance and oil loss issues experienced with the GDI engine in the 2nd generation Souls. GDI = gasoline direct injection.

Like GeoSoul says, frequent oil changes are half the battle.

Enjoy!
Appreciate the good info. The 2022 MPI engine is good to know. I had traded a 2020 in because of the piston ring recall. It tested OK but I didn’t wait for the Knock Sensor to be installed. There was no explanation if you had time to bail before engine failure. So far on the 2022 there’s been no noticeable oil loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts