Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm regretting getting a new Kia soul. After only having it for 6 month they said I need a whole new transmission. I was driving on the freeway and my car started slowing down on it's on. I'm managed to pull over to the shoulder and the car would not move at all while on drive or reverse. This could have been all bad.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
849 Posts
Sorry about your issue, you are not alone. Having said that, you have a great warranty on the car. Many other brands have these issues also. Just FYI, your car is a Gen 3 and you posted in the Gen 1 threads. In the future, you will get more responses from Gen 3 owners by posting in that section.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Actually, it sounds like you got a lucky day! You traded in a used transmission with 6 months and X number of miles for a brand new Kia transmission with 0 months and 0 miles, and got all of that done for free. Now if you can only get the same deal on an engine, you'll have a brand new 0 mile drivetrain for nothing!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
All brands have problems. Trans. problems on the new souls seems to be low. It will be fixed under warranty. Did you get a loaner? Carmax offered me more than I paid for my 21 ex. Knew I would miss it so I kept it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,277 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.....:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm regretting getting a new Kia soul. After only having it for 6 month they said I need a whole new transmission. I was driving on the freeway and my car started slowing down on it's on. I'm managed to pull over to the shoulder and the car would not move at all while on drive or reverse. This could have been all bad.
Wow. That this is still happening with 2022 models is distressing. It suggests Kia has no real idea why its IVT transmissions are failing and that the fixes they've promoted (reflash the IVT control module) are not effective at preventing premature failure (a 2022 would have the latest IVT firmware from the factory). It suggests a design defect rather than a materials/supplier problem. It doesn't speak well to those of us with Gen 3s and a desire to operate them long term into high mileage.

I get my 2020 EX tested under the piston recall notice this Friday. If it checks out and I do not need a new engine, I am seriously considering dumping it (I can get what I paid originally in trade) and replacing it with a vehicle that lacks major drivetrain component (transmission and engine) recalls. Too bad they are dragging their feet delivering the new Niro plug in and EV versions. It's very unlikely a Kia will be on my shopping list and by extension likely no Hyundai will be on the list either.

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
144 Posts
Wow. That this is still happening with 2022 models is distressing. It suggests Kia has no real idea why its IVT transmissions are failing and that the fixes they've promoted (reflash the IVT control module) are not effective at preventing premature failure (a 2022 would have the latest IVT firmware from the factory). It suggests a design defect rather than a materials/supplier problem. It doesn't speak well to those of us with Gen 3s and a desire to operate them long term into high mileage.

I get my 2020 EX tested under the piston recall notice this Friday. If it checks out and I do not need a new engine, I am seriously considering dumping it (I can get what I paid originally in trade) and replacing it with a vehicle that lacks major drivetrain component (transmission and engine) recalls. Too bad they are dragging their feet delivering the new Niro plug in and EV versions. It's very unlikely a Kia will be on my shopping list and by extension likely no Hyundai will be on the list either.
I was just perusing the forums and ran into this discussion. Now I'm wondering how things turned out.

I was also hoping to keep this as a long term car, but I'll never feel totally safe, even if the total percentage of failures is low. I have been buying reliable cars/brands for many years, and have never had any sort of problem. So now I have my eyes on the Toyota Corolla Cross, which competes with the Seltos. But I'll wait at least a year to make sure this new model doesn't have any bugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're not alone here. I had mine go out a few months ago at just over 3000 miles.
It seems them going from CVT's to IVT's over the last couple of years hasn't really fixed anything.

While I do miss my '19 and was severely disappointed when the trans went out in the '22, iv'e gotta say, i do love this car.

·
Registered
2021 LX IVT
144 Posts
You're not alone here. I had mine go out a few months ago at just over 3000 miles.
It seems them going from CVT's to IVT's over the last couple of years hasn't really fixed anything.

While I do miss my '19 and was severely disappointed when the trans went out in the '22, iv'e gotta say, i do love this car.
What a disappointment! I swapped my 2020 for the 2021 LX (the dealer practically gave me the new one in the exchange) stupidly thinking they had resolved the transmission thing. Instead the 2021 is having both the transmission and engine failures. I'm wondering in your case, how was the replacement process, in terms of delay and them taking care of a rental or loaner car?

BTW, the IVT is the Kia version of CVT, which was new for 2020. Before that they had neither, which is why your 2019 drove a lot differently. I test drove a 2019 just when the 2020 came out, and while it felt sportier, the acceleration was a bit jerky --I think going into 3rd-- which turned my attention to the 2020. Now I'm considering a change to the Corolla Cross :oops: and leaving Kia behind...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reason Eleventy-Jillion (is SO! a number… now! ;) ) I will NEVER own a vehicle with a CVT, I’ve driven all the common transmission flavors, and my opinion is (from best to worst);

1; manual, need I say more? Okay, I will ;) it’s more fun, more robust, more reliable, simpler, and more immersive, and it’s more fun, I don’t think I mentioned that ;)

2; Dual Clutch (DSG/DCT/PDK) as close as you can get to the manual experience without a physical clutch pedal, but more complicated than it should be, also temperamental about care and maintenance, it can’t be abused like the next one;

3; torque converter planetary geared automatic (regular sludgebox, even with lockup torque converter) reliable, simple, and basic, but utterly soulless and boring.

4; riding a bicycle

5; walking

6; sitting at home doing nothing

7; CVT (both push belt and Toyota E-CVT) they’re just …wrong, they make a sludgebox feel lively, they make a DSG seem reliable, and they do all this while simultaneously destroying every subatomic particle of driving enjoyment, whilst causing a creeping fear in the driver’s mind as to when the fragmentation grenade on wheels will detonate and shred the transmission (and driver’s bank account)

“hmm, let’s give a scooter transmission gigantism and slap it in a car, what’s the worst that could happen?”

the CVT only ‘party piece’ is getting approximately 5 MPG better than a sludgebox. IMO, it has no reason to exist, it’s a problem searching for a solution…

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The Toyota E-CVT has been pretty reliable, no? It’s different than regular push belt or like Hyundai Kia CVTs using a chain. Some Toyota CVTs are using a launch gear to help with the rubber band effect. The first CVT I drove was a rental Dodge Caliber. It was awful. I step on the gas and the rpm’s go to the moon and the car didn’t go anywhere.

If I had a choice of what type of automatic I could get in a new Kia Soul it would be the time tested reliable 6 speed automatic that the second generation has. DCT? No way. Not yet. They’re too finicky and have had issues in Fords and Kias too. Manual, yes please but these days they’re hard to find and seems to be only offered in sporty turbo models like the Forte GT. No longer an option on the Soul.

·
Registered
2022 Soul LX
27 Posts
I've got a 2022 with a manufacturer date of 08/21. Bought it brand new in October 2021. Just hit 10K miles on the clock. No issues. But I'll be lying if I say that I'm not somewhat concerned or worried every time I read or hear about all the engine and transmission issues the Soul has. I've done two oil changes since and I did notice on the second one, it was darker than the 1st. Did the 1st one around 3K and the 2nd one around 9K. Regardless, unlike my other cars that I only drive maybe 3 times a month on the weekends, I love this car and It's my daily grind. Fun to say the least since I always use manual mode. 😄

·
Registered
2022 Soul LX
27 Posts
Did one at 3,000 miles and the next at 9000 miles? and you wonder why the oil is darker on the 9000 mile change? Am I reading this right?
My bad, I meant to say 6K, not 9K, lol! 6,107 to be exact. Sorry, I didn't proof read my post. Not to mention, I accumulated the mileage from 3K to that in almost 8 months with just regular driving. So, it being darker, I thought it was unfortunate an N/A motor. On my Evo and Sti, it does become like that with the same amount of time frame between oil changes.

·
Registered
2013 ! Molten Red AT
31 Posts
Hi Guys,
Was at dealer to get my 2013! steering wheel coupler replaced, no more clunking when hitting bumps and nearly quiet steering wheel again - Yay! But service wanted me to spend $2000 on other maintenance for 120,000 mile check including replacing tires. No thanks, hate dealer prices so normally service elsewhere. Anyway, when I mentioned working with sales and wanting to trade in for GT-Line or previously a Turbo, grumpy older guy says both trannies are garbage and definitely don't buy either CVT or DCT!! Better to keep 2013 or get any car without CVT. Not a question of IF but WHEN engine will fail between 5 miles and 60K with average being 35,000. They have had ones fail even at time of pre-vehicle inspection after being delivered directly from Kia. Debating what to do since I'm waiting for GT-Line to come with GT Tech package in a color that is not black, white, or gray. Not easy in Phoenix area when I want Neptune or Red or just keep going with my !

Yes, Kia will replace 1st engine fail but then he said it's $2500 out of owner's pocket to replace electronic clutch after that. Stick with gear based tranny not cvt/ivt belt version of transmission.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
without CVT
You’re running out of options for small cars with traditional automatics. They’re all going with CVTs these days. The Hyundai Kia CVT (they call it IVT) had trouble at first, but seems to be ok after they did some software updates. Long term reliability is still a question mark though.

They drive nice for a CVT. If I didn’t know it was a CVT in a rental Elantra I had (same drivetrain as Soul), I wouldn’t have guessed. They’re much better than the first CVT I drove years ago with the rubber band effect, when you stepped on the gas the rpm’s go up but the car doesn’t go anywhere.

·
Registered
2022 Soul LX Technology Package
7 Posts
I like the feel of a CVT/IVT transmission much more than a traditional automatic. Traditional automatics often hesitate and jerk when you give it the gas to downshift. CVT's are much smoother. I had an early CVT in 2012 with no shifting points, just the rubber-band effect and it started whining when it got hot, but it still wasn't that bad to drive. Our current 2022 Soul LX is leased and rarely gets on the highway so I'm not too worried.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts