Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soul keeps randomly not wanting to start. It has a drain somewhere. The dealer has already replaced the battery 2x and alternator ... the car has been towed in 2x and driven in 4x times after being jumped off. The repairs were made and now the car still is not starting and takes a jump but the dealer claims there is nothing else they can do so I basically have to drive my brand new car around with a pocket jump box.... kind of not a happy camper!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,410 Posts
All of your posts are just you vehemently complaining about your brand new Soul. It's hard to take your seriously. No one here can help you, this is not Kia customer service or Yelp.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
OK, I have only limited experience in that area, with my old 2013 Soul, base model.
Those cars had a noted grounding problem, that could cause a failure to start, and other misc. problems. I first read about it on the Kia Soul UK forum. It was driving those guys nuts.
Finally someone came up with the idea that fixing the bad grounding between the engine and the body/battery would fix the problem....and it DID!
So even though I had not yet experienced the problem myself, I set about fixing the really bad grounding between the engine (starter/ alternator, etc.) and the NEG terminal on the battery.
My final fix was to add a heavy battery cable, from the engine frame to the NEG Terminal on the Battery. In six years, and 75k+ miles, I never experienced an engine start failure or any other misc. electronic problem.
You may still find some of my posts, in the Gen-1 forum, with pictures.

I've had no electronic problems, so far, in my 2020 Soul, now 1.5 yrs and 15K+ miles old. But if I ever do, I know where to start troubleshooting.

Cheers mates,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go to a different dealer, obviously they are throwing parts at it rather than diagnosing it and finding the real problem

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
When I bought my brand new 2009 Suzuki SX4, I got about a mile from the dealership, stopped for a bite to eat and when I returned to my NEW car, it would not start.
I called the dealer, and they came and jump started the car and I drove it back to the dealership.
They gave me a loaner car and I drove on home.
Five days later, after they had replaced the alternator, battery, etc, they finally found a connector Under the battery that was not properly seated. It just took five days of troubleshooting for them to find the problem. I got a new Interstate battery out of the deal anyway.
I never had an electrical problem with that car again.
Good advise to try a different dealer. Get a new pair of eyes on the problem.
:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
check to see if your state has lemon laws and keep all of your documentation. in Ca it’s a 3 strikes thing if I remember right

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow #geosoul. Jeez. What got you all upset. Lol. I love my older soul. This is my 3rd one :) but yea this one is a lemon so what doesn't mean I wouldn't I have another one. The whole reason for a forum is to get information right? I am seeing if anyone else has had the same issue. But thanks for your input. And for everyone else. Yea Kia is stepping in. They are seeing multiple issues with the car I will keep yall posted:)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My soul keeps randomly not wanting to start. It has a drain somewhere...
1. Why suspect a battery drain versus poor connection?
2. What is resistance from battery negative post to motor?
3. What is battery voltage, key off?
4. What is battery voltage key on?
5. What is battery voltage while attempting to start?
6. Are visor/vanity lights off?

·
Registered
88 Posts
1. Why suspect a battery drain versus poor connection?
2. What is resistance from battery negative post to motor?
3. What is battery voltage, key off?
4. What is battery voltage key on?
5. What is battery voltage while attempting to start?
6. Are visor/vanity lights off?
Exactly, those are all questions the dealer should have answered for him when they decided to throw parts at it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Troubleshooting the problem of a Voltage Drain, really isn't Rocket Science.
Put a current meter in-line with the Neg battery cable. Register the current flow.
Then start pulling fuses till the current stops, and you have the cause of the drain.
That only would take a few minutes. Repairing the problem could take a little longer.
But the end result would be a REPAIR!

I'd love to work on that car. Finding and fixing elusive electrical problems is what I've done
for most of my working life.

Wishing Y'all a very "Happy Thanksgiving".
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
You will actually see around 20 milliamp on a new Soul with a smart key with everything shut down, it will fluctuate from the high teens to about 25 mA. Never pull off the cable to check for a draw, you can't do that on new cars and expect good results. New cars are so different than ones even 10 years ago. One of these days I need to check what the new Tellurides have for a draw as they are also linked to your app so you can remote start your car with your phone and even turn on the heat or ac or your heated seats etc.. right from your phone. I would think they would draw a tad more. They also have the rear occupant alert that stays on for as long as 25 minutes after shutting car off.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
On a Sportster, the 1 milliamp per device includes 1 milliamp for speedo, 1 milliamp for tach, 1 millamp for regulator, 1 milliamp for TSM (3 milliamps for TSSM), 1 milliamp for ECM, etc...the point being that a small drain is normal.

25 mA * 24 = 0.6 amp per day * 30 = 18 amps per month
So, not an issue for a top of the line 700 amphour Kia clean battery to sit for a few months.

A motorcycle may not go as long:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,410 Posts
wow #geosoul. Jeez. What got you all upset. Lol. I love my older soul. This is my 3rd one :) but yea this one is a lemon so what doesn't mean I wouldn't I have another one. The whole reason for a forum is to get information right? I am seeing if anyone else has had the same issue. But thanks for your input. And for everyone else. Yea Kia is stepping in. They are seeing multiple issues with the car I will keep yall posted:)
Not upset Ben, you're the one using bold type. And good for you for obviously contacting the right person & Kia has stepped in. This is a warranty issue between them and you regarding the charging system. You'd be foolish to repair this outside warranty which could lead to a voided warranty. Give them a chance to make it right before throwing the baby out with the bath water (aka: calling it a lemon on social media).

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
88 Posts
You mentioned earlier the dealer already replaced the battery (some test good but still aren't) so I can see them doing that but they also replaced the alternator (completely unnecessary as easy to fully test and would not cause a drain unless shorted, also easy to test) This dealer has no clue what they are doing. Go to a different dealer. I see this several times a month and every couple of years we get one that we need to work on for a couple of hours. It takes no time for a competent mechanic to find your draw. If it is in fact intermittent that takes a little bit of work but is still not all that difficult (caveat is that it can be but there are multiple ways to find one anyway)

·
Registered
83 Posts
You didn't mention how long of a period the car sits idle. As mentioned above, all new cars have some parasitic draw like when it is constantly searching for keyless FOB signal to initiate opening of the doors. So how long is it idle?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts