Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
Just checked under the hood, it appears this design uses the same brake fluid reservoir for the clutch fluid (which is FULL), I see a low pressure rubber hose going from the very back/bottom of the reservoir to the clutch cylinder, and then from there I see the skinny high pressure lines that come out but I can't see much else, everything is crammed in there real good, just to get to the clutch cylinder I'd have to remove the battery and looks like some sort of computer/module is right behind the battery so that would have to come out too. I did notice that on one of the high pressure line fittings, it looks a little wet and sticky, and there was a dandelion seed stuck to it like it's wet. But not dripping though. Makes me wonder if there's like a tiny pin hole or stripped threads from factory or something tiny that's letting air in and just seeping out a microscopic amount of fluid.
Using the brake fluid reservoir for clutch cylinder is common. All my Acura, Hondas, Subaru's & Mazdas manuals did the same.

That moisture, where you saw the dandelion seed concerns me. That should be dry. Something is not right with your clutch being so difficult for you to operate. These Soul stick shifts are little troopers and work quite reliabily for drive by wire clutches. The car is so fun to drive.

Can you get another dealership to look at this? Ask for a service tech with good experience with manuals.

All the best.

Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know it's been 9 months, here's an update, perhaps the final update, on this 2021 Soul LX manual.

I just sold the car to Carvana for $18,400 +/-, I can't remember the exact dollar amount, what I owed on the loan was about $11,800, the price of the car when I bought it was $18,600, so if you do the math, I got back my $6000 down payment and some on top of that. Given the problems I was having this seemed like the natural thing to do. It worked out because as you know cars are overpriced right now. I'm using my old 2003 Honda Odyssey with 174k miles as my daily driver again, at least I don't have a car payment on a car I can't stand.

Some fun facts about the Soul while I had it. I had installed a curt tow hitch, class 1 or 2, I don't remember, the smaller draw tube, not the 2 inch, I think it's a 1 1/4 inch tube. It's late and I can't think straight. I also did custom wiring with a module for the lights but was able to cut the wires in a way that no one will ever find out, I left the module behind the panel in the back, I'm not going through any trouble to remove it. I did remove the hitch. I also installed a K&N CAI, it did boost the power a bit, especially when you combine it with premium fuel (is it octane 93??) but while you get some more HP and a little bit more torque, you MPG takes a dramatic hit. I decided to use premium after I found out the compression ratio is 12.5:1.

I got rid of it with 7000 miles, just like the rest of the 2021 Kia Soul LX's with manual transmissions you see on Carvana 馃槅.

Back to the drawing board, I'll be waiting until next year to see if prices come down on either new or used cars, meanwhile I have to pay for the rubber timing belt to be done on my Odyssey if I'm going to keep it to 200k or maybe a little more.

If you want to know more about my experiments just let me know. If anyone wants to buy a CAI for their 3rd gen with the 2.0L Nu engine, or if you want a Curt tow hitch, let me know also. Thanks.

Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX Manual
Wanted to chime in here as someone who's got a 2021 Soul with a manual as well... I'm noticing some strange behaviour with mine that I'm not used to, but perhaps it's not totally unexpected? I'm new to how Kias work.

I notice rev hang a bit between letting go of gears, but that's sorta normal AFAICT. -- That being said, something I do see is that I'll be coasting, out of gear, with and without the clutch in, and as I slow down, the revs will hang around 1500 for a while, then drop around 1100, and then climb to 2000 for no reason and without any input from me as I continue to slow down.

Has anyone seen anything of the sort?

Registered
Wanted to chime in here as someone who's got a 2021 Soul with a manual as well... I'm noticing some strange behaviour with mine that I'm not used to, but perhaps it's not totally unexpected? I'm new to how Kias work.

I notice rev hang a bit between letting go of gears, but that's sorta normal AFAICT. -- That being said, something I do see is that I'll be coasting, out of gear, with and without the clutch in, and as I slow down, the revs will hang around 1500 for a while, then drop around 1100, and then climb to 2000 for no reason and without any input from me as I continue to slow down.

I don鈥檛 coast out of gear on mine so I can鈥檛 comment on that issue. The rev hang I guess is because it鈥檚 drive by wire. The gas pedal isn鈥檛 connected to the throttle with a cable like they used to be, the gas pedal is connected to the computer and the computer tells the throttle what to do. It seems to be a common complaint on manual cars with drive by wire throttle. I鈥檝e gotten used to it and it doesn鈥檛 really bother me anymore.

Congrats on your manual transmission Soul, there鈥檚 not many of us anymore and Kia even discontinued the manual Soul in 2022 :(

Reactions: schykle

Registered

If it's revving up to 2000 without input from you, I'd definitely get that taken care of under your bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't heard of that happening on a stick shift Gen 3. Best of luck with that.

Reactions: schykle

Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
If it's revving up to 2000 without input from you, I'd definitely get that taken care of under your bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't hear of that happening on a stick shift Gen 3. Best of luck with that.
When i am exhausted (and my foot placement is not precise) I have managed to catch the accelerator with the edge of my right shoe while braking. I wish the accelerator had a stiffer spring so that I could feel the feedback in my foot.

My car also does the fast idle (>1,000 rpm) while coasting.

Registered
When i am exhausted (and my foot placement is not precise) I have managed to catch the accelerator with the edge of my right shoe while braking. I wish the accelerator had a stiffer spring so that I could feel the feedback in my foot.

My car also does the fast idle (>1,000 rpm) while coasting.
What's idle at when stopped, like at a light? Mines around 650.

Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX Manual
If it's revving up to 2000 without input from you, I'd definitely get that taken care of under your bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't hear of that happening on a stick shift Gen 3. Best of luck with that.
That's a great idea actually. I work at a dealership that has a Kia location, so I'll run over there and see if I can get a tech to drive around with me.

I thought it was unusual but some things are by design so ya never know haha. Thanks!

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
...That being said, something I do see is that I'll be coasting, out of gear, with and without the clutch in, and as I slow down, the revs will hang around 1500 for a while, then drop around 1100, and then climb to 2000 for no reason and without any input from me as I continue to slow down.

I have Gen 2 Kia Soul. When there is a stop up ahead of me I sometimes coast to it in neutral* instead of downshifting. I don't think I've ever had the RPMs drop then increase, while I'm coasting in neutral.

Don't recall off the top of head what the RPMs drop to - I'm thinking down to around a thousand then on to idle of about 700.

* I probably actually do this fairly often. I used to do it about every single time but I'm now trying make myself downshift.

Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX Manual
I have Gen 2 Kia Soul. When there is a stop up ahead of me I sometimes coast to it in neutral* instead of downshifting. I don't think I've ever had the RPMs drop then increase, while I'm coasting in neutral.

Don't recall off the top of head what the RPMs drop to - I'm thinking down to around a thousand then on to idle of about 700.

* I probably actually do this fairly often. I used to do it about every single time but I'm now trying make myself downshift.
Thank you so much for this response. In addition to some of the responses above, this has been super helpful. I'm so used to downshifting that I hadn't even noticed this behaviour until very recently when I just didn't do it a couple of times during really long approaches to stops.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts