Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Kia SOUL with 7000 kms. A problem developed about three weeks ago. It won't start.... then after a bit it starts. At first it happened twice in one day... then not for another week - three more times. Today it has happened three times in one day.

The engine turns over as it should but will not start. Turn off the key - tried again - same problem. Did this a half dozen times - same. Then suddenly it starts.

It has happened after a night's sitting. It has happened after running for short trips to the grocery store.

I buy gas at COSTCO - no where else so the new tanks there should be clean.

Have taken it to the original Dealership we got it from - they don't know - and they cannot get it to do it.

Could it be a fuel pump problem? In the OLD DAYS this was what would happen. BUT THIS CAR IS BTRAND NEW _ I am the first owner!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Leave it at the dealership. Tell the Service Manager or #1 Service Tech to drive it back & forth to work for a couple days.

That's the best way to uncover the problem and get this problem resolved. The only way Costco fuel could be involved in this, is if you've been filling-up there while the big fuel truck dispenser has been pumping fuel underground, at the same time you've been fueling. That can stir all kinds of debris and eventually find itself inside your gas tank.

Some service sttions rarely change the filters at the gas pump. That would be the only way traveling contaminated fuel is causing your problem.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
By the very nature of your symptoms, it's not the fuel, but maybe the lack of it. Or the lack of spark. Because if you have both, then engine will run. Since poor grounding on the Soul, is notorious for causing intermittent starting problems, I'd go for that first.
Clean your battery posts and make sure the battery cable clamps are TIGHT. Then check the points where the battery grounds to the car's body. Notoriously, those points are all painted, and as we all know, paint does not conduct electricity.
For troubleshooting purposes only, connect a jumper wire/cable from the NEG terminal on the battery to any point/bolt on the engine, providing a positive ground to all the electronics on the engine. If that solves your problem you know for sure that it was just a grounding problem.

I did that on my 2013 Soul, that definitely did have grounding problems.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Steering wheel

Additional grounding cable at NEG Terminal on the battery.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Auto part Gas

And, new grounding cable attached to the engine.
In 75,000 miles I never had a starting problem, or any other problem that could be traced back to poor grounding.

If you can just prove that you have a grounding problem, maybe you can get your dealer to fix it.
I've gone that route before, when I had to prove something before I could get my dealer to fix it.

Good Luck (I know how frustrating intermittent problems can be.) I use to do Electrical/Mechanical troubleshooting for a living.

FLH :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts