Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Soul GT-Turbo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm doing some changes on my GT Turbo Soul and just like every other part I've tried to find, these spark plugs just don't seem to exist lol. Does anybody know a good brand and model of plugs as I would like to shorten the gap on my current plugs but I have read it might not be a good idea to try and gap the OEM plugs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
NGK or Denso is all I would consider.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I still don't think that you need to reduce the gap. That makes the flame kernel smaller and burn will be problematic.
Newer cars measure the burn parameters (temperature and pressure inside the cylinder) using the spark plug (ionization). This is done by connecting a low voltage (about 80 V) to the spark plug, except when fired. Changing the gap affects the calibration of that readings.

Usually on older cars this problem is solved with CDI systems with microprocessor, but on such a new car I doubt you can adapt anything.

I am not familiar with the OE plugs on this mode (NGK has spark plugs only up to 2019 Soul natural aspirated models, but not Turbo). NGK were the OE for Kia previously.

Denso is not even close, nothing for Soul above 2016. They are now Toyota, Honda, and Ford OE supplier.

Some modern cars started to use dual tip iridium/platinum plugs (tip on ground too) to move the flame kernel away from the ground strap. This is to avoid screening effect to the flame in lean mixtures with a local increased concentration of fuel around the spark tip. So this is a pretty complicated issue.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It fries me, when I see ads on TV for a certain plug, then find out that company does not make a plug for the 2020 Soul.
Same for Rock Auto....they carry almost Nothing for the 2020 Soul. Grrr!
Oh well, that's OK I guess, because my Soul needs NOTHING.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

This is a typical Soul plug. That center electrode is like glass, any attempt to re-gap that plug can result in damage to the electrode. That's why the manufacturer says "DO NOT Re-Gap".
I changed the OEM plugs on my 2013 Soul, at around 70k miles. The original plugs were still like new. :)
So, I won't even think about ever changing the plugs in my 2020 Soul.
Cheers Mates!
:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts