Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m generally very happy with my 2020 soul gt line 1.6t.

I’ve had a few quirks with it but nothing really worth noting until today. The car makes this high pitched noise when it gets turned on and off. I drove 2 hours yesterday on the highway and I could still hear this noise, albeit faintly. It drove me crazy. Because of the frequency, I heard it over the road and tire noise. It’s almost like having tinnitus.

I put a video on YouTube, please have a listen. I’m beginning to regret purchasing this vehicle.

https://youtu.be/eJQxrfj7vEo

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Solution is Simple !
Since it does this regularly and consistently
Bring back to dealer and have them find problem and fix it
This is exactly what new car warranty is for

BTW, that is what I hear in my head 24/7, for last 30+ years (tinnitus)

·
Registered
425 Posts
That definitely isn't right. I have bad hearing loss (thank you, Uncle Sam) and tinnitus, and have no problem hearing that.

Have you checked other new ones on the lot to see if "they all do that"?

On a similar note, we bought a new leftover 2017 Honda CRV last May 2018. Test drove it around town and a short hop on the 4-lane, but with lots of traffic and noise. The next day, we took a drive and when we hit a steady 55-60 MPH, there was a high pitch squeal similar to when you turned on an old TV set. To make matters worse, it stopped as soon as I just barely touched my foot against the brake pedal. Took it back and they said the front pads were crumbling - a piece fell off already. They replaced all 4 brakes. Still had the noise. I asked about adjusting the electric parking brake. Still made the noise. After 5 trips back, we sold it back and took a hit, but I could not stand to drive it. Now (in addition to our trusty '13 Soul Base with 90K miles) we have a 2019 Subaru Forester and love it.

Hope your situation is resolved quickly and easily.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree, take it to the dealer, they'll most certainly hear that.
I have not heard that in my Soul yet, but I'm still under 200 miles. If it does show up, I'll let you know.
I had a 2.0T optima that made a similar noise towards the end of my ownership.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Those are just the relays.

My 2013 does the same thing if I just turn on the electronics. (I haven't noticed the sound with the engine running, because the engine is much louder than the whine)

High pitch whine and some clicking noises are normal.

When you turn off the car, the whine should stick around for another 10-15 seconds and then stop.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
656 Posts

My 2013 does the same thing if I just turn on the electronics. (I haven't noticed the sound with the engine running, because the engine is much louder than the whine)

Relays will certainly click, but whine? Maybe the fuel pump?

·
Registered
45 Posts

When you turn off the car, the whine should stick around for another 10-15 seconds and then stop.
I don't think I've heard that noise with just the electronics on (or at all yet, for that matter). I'll keep an ear open for it now, though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I hear the same whine with my 2014 Exclaim if the Push Button Start/Stop button is pushed without gas pedal depressed. It's an electronic choir...and I've always just accepted it as normal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's the kind of noise that would drive me nuts!

Can you pinpoint the offending component? A mechanic's stethoscope or next best thing a very long screw driver , pointy end on component and handle against your ear.

I would start with most obvious culprits as can be accessed.
Alternator, fan motor, relay cubes, electrical connections etc. Listening to each one. Suggestions about the fuel pump could be exactly the source, but it oughtn't be that loud.

I have dash cams in my car and can often pick up the high pitched hum of their electronics.

I also can hear frequencies of fluorescent lights, TVs and other electronics in the background.

My response is to create more foreground noise or turn off the offending screen/light when the hum gets too much to bear.

Definitely get dealer attention!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
656 Posts
I also can hear frequencies of fluorescent lights, TVs and other electronics in the background.
Enjoy it while you can, junior. I used to be able to hear that stuff, too. Now I can't even hear the cheeps my alarm or microwave make when they try to get my attention, even if I'm right next to them. (I suppose the reason they don't make sounds with more bass is that the teeny transducer can't handle it. Why can't they have transducers like the car next to me at the light, where the sheet metal flexes in and out with the bass beat?)

·
Registered
590 Posts
The fuel system pump or injectors should NOT be active when engine is not running (like in the video), so it's not that.

That might be the actuator motor for the throttle. I saw a case when disconnecting the connector and reconnecting it was quieting the noise until the next start.
Many ECUs will disable the PWM control when the engine isn't running and the throttle pedal isn't moving in order to eliminate the noise. The PWM frequency can be anywhere between 1000 and 20000 Hz, don't know if is adjustable.

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=qA31wZXEMO0

I agree, this is a warranty issue in my view.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,610 Posts
Holy cow OP. Your brand new Soul is "turning into a disappointment?"

I'm not sure which whining noise is worse. You have just purchase a highly complex machine with a world class warranty. Give Kia a chance to make the necessary adjustments to make you happy again. Don't be so quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It may be difficult to appreciate the noise without having a GDI motor (debuted 2012).
The fuel pump in the tank feeds a cam driven high pressure fuel pump above the valve cover.
The whine begins upon turning on and dissipates a minute or so after key is turned off.

See the link in post 11

1600 cc GDI DOHC - fuel pump.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
The video he posted has the engine shut off, just the key in contact. So the cam is not spinning, hence no pressure is made, no injectors are working.
And yes, I hate the GDI motors. :surprise:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Holy cow OP. Your brand new Soul is "turning into a disappointment?"

I'm not sure which whining noise is worse. You have just purchase a highly complex machine with a world class warranty. Give Kia a chance to make the necessary adjustments to make you happy again. Don't be so quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
I just read the OPS post and it is contradictory, at the beginning OP states to being generally very happy with the car, in the last paragraph then states to be regretting the purchase. Either you are happy or not.
To OP take the car back and have the problem sorted that's what warranties are for.

Pat.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The video he posted has the engine shut off, just the key in contact. So the cam is not spinning, hence no pressure is made, no injectors are working.
Turning on the key activates the electric pump in the tank, but the sound comes from the area of the high pressure pump...without the engine idling.

After the key is off, the whine continues for a while.

From post 17:

The whine begins upon turning on and dissipates a minute or so after key is turned off.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts