Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so idk if this post is valuable to anyone but here it goes...

i hardly drive (which is why my car only had 7800 miles), owned the car 2 yrs, go for a short drive, check engine yellow not flashing (mnx required light i think is the right name), driving fine but slow down to a crawl, get home, check book, google, blah blah blah

home for 30 mins or so, car had been off, go out & pull dipstick - smoke comes out the dipstick hole...
it was very little but remember i only went a few miles and had been home at least 30 mins so wtf?

pull it in the garage (getting late), leave overnight & half the next morning, pull out of garage, turn off, pull dipstick...
def smoking like in a very bad way, after being off 14+ hrs and only moving 20 ft.

she was actually scheduled for an oil change/tire rotation/recall inspections on the 22nd (tomorrow) but she gave up the ghost a week or so ago. 4 hrs on the phone to get a tow (most of it on hold). dealership calls me this morning says she had an "internal engine bearing failure" and needs a new engine. covered. and that's all i know. he didn't specifically say was due to the recall but that is my guess.

never have i ever had a car die with less than 10K miles till now! in fact, never have i ever had a car die due to engine failure since i started owning them 35 yrs ago!!

also wanted to say, the dang light was not flashing and at first the dealership actually said i was good to drive it but i told them hold on for the next part (the smoke), then they said not to. so just saying, you can't count on that light flashing like its supposed to!!

added: there is no estimated completion date because there are no engines to put in apparently on back order until no one knows when at the moment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s a bummer. How many oil changes has it had?
it was due for its first oil change a week after it died so it had none, technically was due at 7500 vs 7800 but the appointment had a long wait time so that's why i was a little over. however i had topped it up twice before which i thought was weird that it needed the 2nd topping up for sure. this being my first kia and such low miles was hard for me to know what is normal or not. in retrospect, esp when i checked it the 2nd time, the oil was way too dirty in my (non professional) opinion. but it was already scheduled for a change so i just topped it up (in hopes to make it less dirty until the appointment).

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
338 Posts
it was due for its first oil change a week after it died so it had none, technically was due at 7500 vs 7800 but the appointment had a long wait time so that's why i was a little over. however i had topped it up twice before which i thought was weird that it needed the 2nd topping up for sure. this being my first kia and such low miles was hard for me to know what is normal or not. in retrospect, esp when i checked it the 2nd time, the oil was way too dirty in my (non professional) opinion. but it was already scheduled for a change so i just topped it up (in hopes to make it less dirty until the appointment).
I would be shocked if they honor your warranty. Even if you haven’t hit the 7,500 miles mark, you should never go 2+ years between oil changes— especially with the factory oil that is likely not full synthetic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be shocked if they honor your warranty. Even if you haven’t hit the 7,500 miles mark, you should never go 2+ years between oil changes— especially with the factory oil that is likely not full synthetic.
they already said its covered. also its not quite 2 yrs yet i rounded, but close (another month). that being said, i called at 3300 miles to ask them if i should get one done sooner due to more time than mileage and they said not to worry about it till 7500. i'd had her 15 months at the time. she was 2 quarts low, i checked her bcuz i was going on a long trip and that was the first time i put real hwy miles on her wanted to make sure was good beforehand. i told them all this and they said i was good to just top her up. i normally don't check but is my first kia and (still) no idea how finicky they are (but getting a good idea on these forums). maybe calling them helped cuz there was some kind of note on file about it. idk exactly what it said but the service dept guy read half under his breath on the phone "advised no oil change needed" when he pulled my car up and he didn't ask me any questions about it. this was before they had a look at it when i called them to report the smoke, trying to find out should i drive it or not (obvi not). after they looked at it they called and said it was covered.

all that being said, i'm gonna go with the "extreme conditions" maintenance schedule in the future since i will always lag far behind in miles and now i feel this car is much more fragile than i realized before even if the dealership doesn't feel that way!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
From your own testimony, it sounds like you have not driven the car enough to really break in the engine properly.
During the first 3k miles, or so, there is a lot of parts wear going on inside the engine, and all that wear winds up as metal particles in the oil. That oil and a filter should be changed, and not left in there for 10,000 miles. 🤬

I've bought several new cars, of different brands, and the service person would tell me "see you back in 3000 miles for your first (free) oil change. That's just been SOP for generations, with many car dealers.
We have several forum members who have posted that they like to get that Break-in oil out of their engines by 1500 miles.
That's not really extreme, but just really good Maintenance. And I doubt that we'll ever see those guys coming back to the forum complaining of a Blown Engine. If my own engine ever gives up on me, it certainly won't be due to poor maintenance. Manufacturing defect, maybe. I can't control that.

My dealer's Service Writer, agreed with me, that despite what anyone else says, I CAN bring my car in for an oil and filter change every 3750 miles, and get their 12 point inspection of the car, and even a car wash.
And when my dealer will no longer change my oil and filter for free, I'll do it myself, in my back yard. And when I'm too infirm to get under my car to change the oil, I have a great neighbor who will help me.

When I drove lease cars, for three major Corporations, it was absolutely Mandatory that we changed the oil and filter every 3k miles or 3 months, whichever came first. At one time, I was getting an oil change more than once a month.
I was sometimes driving over 1000 miles a week. And, in all the years that I drove those company cars, I never had an engine failure.

Cheers mates!
Fall is here, and standard time can't be far away.
If you live in the North, get your cooling system checked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From your own testimony, it sounds like you have not driven the car enough to really break in the engine properly.
During the first 3k miles, or so, there is a lot of parts wear going on inside the engine, and all that wear winds up as metal particles in the oil. That oil and a filter should be changed, and not left in there for 10,000 miles. 🤬

I've bought several new cars, of different brands, and the service person would tell me "see you back in 3000 miles for your first (free) oil change. That's just been SOP for generations, with many car dealers.
We have several forum members who have posted that they like to get that Break-in oil out of their engines by 1500 miles.
That's not really extreme, but just really good Maintenance. And I doubt that we'll ever see those guys coming back to the forum complaining of a Blown Engine. If my own engine ever gives up on me, it certainly won't be due to poor maintenance. Manufacturing defect, maybe. I can't control that.

My dealer's Service Writer, agreed with me, that despite what anyone else says, I CAN bring my car in for an oil and filter change every 3750 miles, and get their 12 point inspection of the car, and even a car wash.
And when my dealer will no longer change my oil and filter for free, I'll do it myself, in my back yard. And when I'm too infirm to get under my car to change the oil, I have a great neighbor who will help me.

When I drove lease cars, for three major Corporations, it was absolutely Mandatory that we changed the oil and filter every 3k miles or 3 months, whichever came first. At one time, I was getting an oil change more than once a month.
I was sometimes driving over 1000 miles a week. And, in all the years that I drove those company cars, I never had an engine failure.

Cheers mates!
Fall is here, and standard time can't be far away.
If you live in the North, get your cooling system checked.
idk what kind of cars u usually buy that SOP with VWs (which my last 3 cars were until they lost my trust to the dieselgate scam) you can go 10K on synthetic. now i'm an old timer and i'm used to changing every 5K but newer oils and newer cars i go by what the book (and/or the dealership) tells me. this is my first kia, and in this case i did not go against either's recommendation. it may just be that i got "lucky" and had one of those cars with the defect so they're not giving me grief about it? cuz i'm pretty sure if they thought it was my fault they would say so...

all that being said i've learned a lot coming here and apparently these vehicles (maybe all korean vehicles idk my first one) need extra tlc where oil is concerned, not what i'm used to but certainly something i can and will do in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts