Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
$9 a month just to read this review? I don't think so. Consumer Reports makes a big mistake by putting up a paywall on its product reviews. I won't pay, and I can find reviews elsewhere that don't pick my pocket. Phooey!
I hit the wall & left.

Super Moderator
The review is on You Tube in vocal form. It does not have the conclusions that may be presented in the on line magazine review. I used to have a subscription with them but it is a bit much for what you may get out of it for all purchases. They don't always have reviews of particular products you want. Keep in mind that magazines and internet subscriptions support their work. I am pretty sure that they are a non profit.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
I agree with Shaggy. There is a little more detraction from the overall car in this review. They actually seem very detached from what the Soul is. Convoluted comments such as bad ride (...feels stiff and jittery, even on smooth pavement), which is contradicted by many other professional car reviewers. It's a fluff piece IMHO (...practical, boxy and gives a cheery personality) and of course, as you read on, the type keeps getting lighter and lighter until you can't even see it.

Hmm....am I supposed to insert more quarters some place?

The movie version:

Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
I think Consumer Reports does a good job. There is no other organization like it for review of any product. They purchase all their vehicles and also except no advertisements in their magazine, therefore are not influenced by manufacturers.
They have the facilities to thoroughly test a product and also get feedback from hundreds of thousands of consumers to give you a better overall view of that item - not one persons opinion.
I subscribe to the magazine (yearly gift from my daughter) and every few months I get asked to fill out a survey, not just on my vehicle but sometimes on other items - TV's, fridges, stoves, etc.

There was a written report in August issue of the 2020 Soul EX, where they gave it an overall score of 76:
Highs - braking, controls, easy to get in and out of passenger space
Lows - ride, loud engine, base trim lacks advanced and safety features\
Fuel - 28 mpg on regular

For comparison:
Elantra GT (2.0L) - 74
Toyota C-HR XLE - 68
Nissan Kicks SV - 64

Registered
I think Consumer Reports does a good job. There is no other organization like it for review of any product. They purchase all their vehicles and also except no advertisements in their magazine, therefore are not influenced by manufacturers.
They have the facilities to thoroughly test a product and also get feedback from hundreds of thousands of consumers to give you a better overall view of that item - not one persons opinion.
I subscribe to the magazine (yearly gift from my daughter) and every few months I get asked to fill out a survey, not just on my vehicle but sometimes on other items - TV's, fridges, stoves, etc.

There was a written report in August issue of the 2020 Soul EX, where they gave it an overall score of 76:
Highs - braking, controls, easy to get in and out of passenger space
Lows - ride, loud engine, base trim lacks advanced and safety features\
Fuel - 28 mpg on regular

For comparison:
Elantra GT (2.0L) - 74
Toyota C-HR XLE - 68
Nissan Kicks SV - 64
I don't have any quibbles about how they review products, or the new KIA Soul. They're not an auto enthusiast magazine, and review from an overall average perspective of all drivers. The Soul isn't really everyone's cup of tea, although it suits a wide range of drivers.

My quibble is with their insistence on charging to read their reviews. It's not an inducement for me to sign up for a $108 annual membership, frankly. Since I can read reviews on the Edmunds and KBB sites, along with in car enthusiast magazines, I don't really need the Consumer Reports review, especially after I bought my 2020. They gave it a good rating, overall. About four out of five stars. Still, if they think it has a noisy engine, I invite their reviewer to drive my 1996 Ford Ranger. :cool:

Super Moderator
The Soul is not for everyone and neither is CR going to be. I used to use them for everything, researched all my most big important buys and their are opinions were in the mix. What got me away from them is timeliness. Before the internet was available, one would have to wait until CR published a review or comparison of say dish washers in order to use them.

In the car area, CR has, at least to me, had an unavoidable bias toward the Japanese manufacturers. That may have been justified but at the time, it was long ago, they never took into consideration that fact the Japanese car dealers were charging premiums to purchase their cars because "they could". That turned me off to them and except for a Toyota Matrix that my wife wanted and older trucks, all used, I have not owned one of them.

I still think that they could be beneficial but I gleam enough info off the internet to make the decisions and that includes snippets from CR. I have always had the feeling that they are a bit snobbish but I was too at the time. I think Conwelpic may be too but I still bow down to his knowledge and value his options. :)

Registered
$9 a month just to read this review? I don't think so. Consumer Reports makes a big mistake by putting up a paywall on its product reviews. I won't pay, and I can find reviews elsewhere that don't pick my pocket. Phooey!
Consumer Reports has ALWAYS had a pay wall, so to speak, because it is a magazine that has always been advertising-free. Cooks Illustrated adipted that model. This way, they can convince the reader (who has a stake in what CR or CI says) that their opinions are unbiased. For them, reputation is everything.
A subscription to CR should not be that much. $9/month = $108/year. I thought the CR subscription was half that unless you wanted extra perks.

Registered
Your local library probably gets CR. No paywall there.
Yeah, when I was a kid, I would ride my bike to the library and read CR, Aviation Week & Space Technology, and US News & World Report. I was a nerdy kid.

Registered
The Soul is not for everyone and neither is CR going to be. I used to use them for everything, researched all my most big important buys and their are opinions were in the mix. What got me away from them is timeliness. Before the internet was available, one would have to wait until CR published a review or comparison of say dish washers in order to use them.

In the car area, CR has, at least to me, had an unavoidable bias toward the Japanese manufacturers. That may have been justified but at the time, it was long ago, they never took into consideration that fact the Japanese car dealers were charging premiums to purchase their cars because "they could". That turned me off to them and except for a Toyota Matrix that my wife wanted and older trucks, all used, I have not owned one of them.

I still think that they could be beneficial but I gleam enough info off the internet to make the decisions and that includes snippets from CR. I have always had the feeling that they are a bit snobbish but I was too at the time. I think Conwelpic may be too but I still bow down to his knowledge and value his options. :)
I think it depends how deep you want to dive into "details" of a specific car and/or their report on it.

Have you ever been surveyed by them for their "ratings?" I have and as I filled out the survey, I kept thinking how these answers don't come close to telling a complete story to a potential buyer. If so, you won't get much detail on things like "GDI" engine issues, carbon buildup, etc.

In that sense, it's really a perception survey based on answers from Consumer Reports readers. In our case, how many of those people purchased a Kia Soul? A few? Their answers can skew the survey results wildly. If the readers are of a certain age, they may have issues with the head unit, saying it's hard to use and/or bad. We've seen that on our own forum.

I do agree they are another source of information, supposedly unbiased, to use in gathering information to make a purchase choice. I do not think they are the best/greatest source however. You can probably get much better information about a car by visiting a forum like this one and doing some of the homework yourself.

Registered
I was also wondering what was up with the fading away print until I got to the wall and clicked X.

CR has a good rep and we used to subscribe. It was useful when remodeling our kitchen for appliance buying.
But they could make reviews like this free to suck you in. Imo.

Registered
Kelley Blue Book: 2020 Kia Soul - Review & Road Test.

Super Moderator
A few mistakes but not all that bad. However, every time I see one of these, I cringe when they remind one that there are no real performance upgrades between the trims other than the GT Turbo. I wonder why they don't say anything about the older generation buyers though; they are a significant portion of the buyers.

Registered
A few mistakes but not all that bad. However, every time I see one of these, I cringe when they remind one that there are no real performance upgrades between the trims other than the GT Turbo. I wonder why they don't say anything about the older generation buyers though; they are a significant portion of the buyers.
  • Good point. I saw a big performance boost from my 2013 base model. Plus a lot less noise and road irregularity transmission. The 2020 is definitely a more refined ride.

Registered
  • Good point. I saw a big performance boost from my 2013 base model. Plus a lot less noise and road irregularity transmission. The 2020 is definitely a more refined ride.
Not according to Consumer Reports. They said "the ride feels stiff and jittery, even on smooth pavement."

So I wonder which one it is?

Registered
VJ, a quick search would show that all these reviews are posted in another thread (this is just a duplicate). Conwel posted a KBB Review about 5 months ago. You can find that thread here as well:

2020 Soul Reviews Are Up On YourTube

Registered
Not according the Consumer Reports. They said "the ride feels stiff and jittery, even on smooth pavement."

So I wonder which one it is?
Well, since I drove a 2013 for seven years and now am driving a 2020, I'm well qualified to compare the two, I think. My 2020 is not jittery. Perhaps their review Soul had over-inflated tires, like mine did before I checked them. Who can say?

Registered
If the gen 3 is "stiff and jittery" then gen 1's were bone jarring and filling loosening by comparison.
With 7 years in our 2012 I also think I'm well equipped to draw some comparisons.
The 2020 by comparison feels well planted and more stable when thrown into turns.
While the ride may not be glass smooth stiff and jittery seems a bit excessive I.M.O.
Quite simply is is a nice evolution of the model since its introduction and is pretty much where one would expect it to be at this juncture.
All new yet somehow quite familiar with improvements abound and a few steps backwards here or there.

Registered
If the gen 3 is "stiff and jittery" then gen 1's were bone jarring and filling loosening by comparison.
With 7 years in our 2012 I also think I'm well equipped to draw some comparisons.
The 2020 by comparison feels well planted and more stable when thrown into turns.
While the ride may not be glass smooth stiff and jittery seems a bit excessive I.M.O.
Quite simply is is a nice evolution of the model since its introduction and is pretty much where one would expect it to be at this juncture.
All new yet somehow quite familiar with improvements abound and a few steps backwards here or there.
When I took delivery on my 2020 LX, its ride seemed a bit harsh, transmitting every road irregularity into the cabin. Playing with the switch on the right side of the steering wheel, I called up the tire pressure display. 50 psi in all tires! They had not brought tire pressures down from the shipping overinflation during dealer prep. I grabbed my trusty pressure gauge and reduced all four wheels to 34 psi. The change in road feel was remarkable.

I wonder if that reviewer got a car with 50 psi in the tires. That would have a jittery, stiff effect on the ride. I emailed the sales manager at my dealership about the overinflation thing. He emailed me back to thank me and said that a memo would go out to the new car prep team.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts