Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,078 Posts
Consumer Reports Ratings

the August issue of Consumer Reports just tested the 2020 Soul and gave it an overall score of 76

For comparison, I've selected the various models I use for the monthly comparison list with their overall score:

Fiat 500L - 30
Fiat 500X - 36
Chev Trax - 43
Jeep Renegade - 44
Mazda CX-3 - 58
Ford Ecosport - 58
Nissan Kicks – 64
Kia Niro - 66
Honda HR-V - 67
Toyota C-HR: 68
Honda Fit - 72
Hyundai Kona - 73

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - n/a

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,772 Posts
With the latest JD Power results, there's a pattern emerging:

2019 US initial Quality Study.jpg

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
But isn't that chart for 2019?

Completely different car! Eh?

By the way, I'm seeing a lot of 2020's on the roads around here. They're getting real popular real quick.

Several that I've seen are the GT Line models. (I actually had one of those for four days, before I took it back and got the LX model) I really like the LX model for it's simplicity and performance. The lower cost didn't hurt anything either. :)

Cheers Bro,

:cool:

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Sammy @ Test Driven TV finally has his review up

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but he says Gen2 Souls had Satellite radio available as an independent upgrade, but I believe it was standard on all trims, all years.

He mentions increased cargo capacity, but I think Gen2 (w/out storage tray) is 24.2/61.3 cf compared to Gen3 24.2/62.1 cf. Apples to apples almost identical.

He mentioned an under floor cargo tray is an option on Gen3 (standard on Gen2), but has anyone heard of that?

Finally his comment on the previous steering wheel buttons that had switches that are easily accidentally hit & inadvertently change stations. Was that Gen1? Gen2 has fully recessed buttons that make it virtually impossible to do that.

·
Registered
15,078 Posts
1 - Correct me if I'm wrong here, but he says Gen2 Souls had Satellite radio available as an independent upgrade, but I believe it was standard on all trims, all years.

2 - He mentions increased cargo capacity, but I think Gen2 (w/out storage tray) is 24.2/61.3 cf compared to Gen3 24.2/62.1 cf. Apples to apples almost identical.

3 - He mentioned an under floor cargo tray is an option on Gen3 (standard on Gen2), but has anyone heard of that?

4 - Finally his comment on the previous steering wheel buttons that had switches that are easily accidentally hit & inadvertently change stations. Was that Gen1? Gen2 has fully recessed buttons that make it virtually impossible to do that.
1. - you are correct it was standard on the Base model for all G2 models.
2. - you are correct again, basically a wash, but because the tray has been eliminated (which took up space) and the fact on models where the dual level cargo board is standard then I suppose you could consider it a slight increase, but it's splitting hairs! :joyous:
3. - I think he is getting confused with the dual level cargo board cover, which is optional with lower models (like the one in his road test)
4. - I checked back on the photos of my G1 and compared it to my G2 and unless you are a really sloppy holder of the steering wheel, it's very difficult to inadvertently change stations. For G3 they have moved all six buttons (phone/display/mode)that were on each side of the lower part of the steering wheel now all combined into the two "circular" buttons

2016 vs 2020 sw controls.jpg

·
Registered
15,078 Posts
July 1 - looking at the Soul from another point of view - not that most of us don't already know :joyous:

https://www.cars.com/articles/is-the-kia-soul-a-subcompact-suv-substitute-405219/

"It seems like people think the reasons for the Soul’s shape are more cosmetic, but I’ve found it to have a very simple, practical appeal: The way to most effectively use a vehicle’s footprint is to build it up vertically. That’s why hatchbacks and wagons have always made a lot of sense to me, as they can have the same width and length as a sedan, but fit more stuff in the back because they have a liftgate instead of cutting out space for a traditional trunk."

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
July 1 - looking at the Soul from another point of view - not that most of us don't already know :joyous:

https://www.cars.com/articles/is-the-kia-soul-a-subcompact-suv-substitute-405219/

"It seems like people think the reasons for the Soul’s shape are more cosmetic, but I’ve found it to have a very simple, practical appeal: The way to most effectively use a vehicle’s footprint is to build it up vertically. That’s why hatchbacks and wagons have always made a lot of sense to me, as they can have the same width and length as a sedan, but fit more stuff in the back because they have a liftgate instead of cutting out space for a traditional trunk."
I couldn't agree more conwel. Buying 13 bags of groceries for the family 4th of July picnic yesterday, I was grinning ear to ear only having to put the 60% seat down & had room for 2 passengers. The Soul hits the mark on many levels.

BTW hope you had a great Canada Day!

·
Registered
15,078 Posts
July 17 - updated review by Car and Driver

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26470868/2020-kia-soul-first-drive/

"So composed and planted is the Soul, in fact, that the X-Line clung to our skidpad to the tune of 0.91 g—on all-season tires no less (Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2, sized 235/45R-18). That lateral grip figure places the humble Soul on the grippier side of the Honda Civic Si (on its standard all-season tires) and the last Volkswagen GTI we tested. Weirdly, the X-Line was stickier around our skidpad than the GT-Line Turbo, which posted a decent but lesser 0.85-g grip figure."

I have noticed that in reviews of Kia products over the last couple of years that ride and handling (a very common criticism of past reviews) is now being praised - looks like Albert Beirmann's influence is now paying off. :joyous:

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
There is more than a little detraction from the overall car in this review. As usual for CR, snobby attitude is prevalent. It does, however, level some deserved criticism but emphasize negative, and in my opinion, some untrue things.

·
Registered
484 Posts
$9 a month just to read this review? I don't think so. Consumer Reports makes a big mistake by putting up a paywall on its product reviews. I won't pay, and I can find reviews elsewhere that don't pick my pocket. Phooey!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts