Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!! My husband and I have a 2020 Soul GT with 2681 miles and the transmission recently failed (3 hours away from home). I’ve done some research and spoken to an attorney about the lemon law and was curious if anyone has tried to pursue that? Based on my discussion with an attorney, the car has to be in an authorized repair facility for more than 30 cumulative working days or had 4 attempts to correct a warranty-covered failure (this is in Missouri). The interesting part is that the law states that the 30 days may be extended if repairs cannot be made for reasons beyond the manufacturer’s control. So the question now becomes... is the 6-8 week wait for a new transmission a wait time that is “beyond their control”? Has anyone challenged this? Some questions asked were: who makes the transmission, is there a shortage of parts, why does it take so long, and why aren’t the replacements readily available (or can they be obtained from a dealer that has one).
As for us, we’re keeping all records and receipts for our rental to get back home and the time and gas to go get our loaner (rental) and any other trips we make to the dealer for the car.
Anyone else have any advice or input on this??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi there!! My husband and I have a 2020 Soul GT with 2681 miles and the transmission recently failed (3 hours away from home). I’ve done some research and spoken to an attorney about the lemon law and was curious if anyone has tried to pursue that? Based on my discussion with an attorney, the car has to be in an authorized repair facility for more than 30 cumulative working days or had 4 attempts to correct a warranty-covered failure (this is in Missouri). The interesting part is that the law states that the 30 days may be extended if repairs cannot be made for reasons beyond the manufacturer’s control. So the question now becomes... is the 6-8 week wait for a new transmission a wait time that is “beyond their control”? Has anyone challenged this? Some questions asked were: who makes the transmission, is there a shortage of parts, why does it take so long, and why aren’t the replacements readily available (or can they be obtained from a dealer that has one).
As for us, we’re keeping all records and receipts for our rental to get back home and the time and gas to go get our loaner (rental) and any other trips we make to the dealer for the car.
Anyone else have any advice or input on this??
Some interesting discussion on that .
Part On Back Order? The Lemon Law Is On Your Side | Lemon Law.com

·
Registered
950 Posts
Double-check your owner's manual. Some states only require one safety-related failure. If my transmission "goes" while on the DC/MD/VA beltway, that's a safety-related issue since we're not talking about simply a malfunctioning window or a trim piece falling off.

I've only "lemoned" one car, so my advice if you go that route: Keep basic receipts and itemize "lemonable" issues relative to your state's lemon law requirements if you end up seeking a refund or replacement. And any writeup should be cordial, but factual. Most owner's manuals lay out the process you need to follow. It's a bit tedious, but easy enough.

Greg

·
Registered
804 Posts
The 6 to 8 week lead time is beyond the control of the dealer, but I don't know if that invalidates a lemon law claim.

I think Kia was caught off-guard on this and is scrambling to come up with enough replacement IVTs.

This is not a typical lemon law claim in that the dealer knows exactly what is wrong and how to fix it, but can't get the part quickly.

I don't own a 2020, but I follow the gen 3 sections since my wife and I like our 2015 and would consider a newer Soul at some time. So my big question here is why are so many IVTs failing and are they making some engineering changes?

At least with Kia there's a strong warranty. My daughter had a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The early 2000s Odyssey's went thru transmissions early, but not early enough to still be in warranty. Hers was at 75,000 miles. I had to help fund the replacement transmission in her van.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts
The 6 to 8 week lead time is beyond the control of the dealer, but I don't know if that invalidates a lemon law claim.

I think Kia was caught off-guard on this and is scrambling to come up with enough replacement IVTs.

This is not a typical lemon law claim in that the dealer knows exactly what is wrong and how to fix it, but can't get the part quickly.

I don't own a 2020, but I follow the gen 3 sections since my wife and I like our 2015 and would consider a newer Soul at some time. So my big question here is why are so many IVTs failing and are they making some engineering changes?

At least with Kia there's a strong warranty. My daughter had a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The early 2000s Odyssey's went thru transmissions early, but not early enough to still be in warranty. Hers was at 75,000 miles. I had to help fund the replacement transmission in her van.

It would be refreshing if they did a big fat "Mia Culpa" and explained in detail what has been failing.

However it seems that isn't likely happen in todays corporate environment.

They must know what is wrong, because they seem to know how to fix it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There is a lot which may go wrong, as explained concisely in this video:

I absolutely hated the early CVTs with high RPMs upon opening the throttle moderately.

The IVT, which simulates a multi-speed transmission, has a more comfortable feel and sound, but will not handle high torques any better than the CVT.

·
Registered
804 Posts
f

However it seems that isn't likely happen in todays corporate environment.

They must know what is wrong, because they seem to know how to fix it.
It doesn't happen in today's corporate environment and it didn't happen in yesterday's...

They know how to change transmissions, but that doesn't mean they have a fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beyond manufacturers control ?? So they could claim a supplier can't fulfill an order and therefore they can't supply you with a new transmission? Sounds like a universal out the manufacturers lobbied into that law. 30 days should be 30 days. The manufacturer I'm associated with gets awful nervous about 30 days under the Wisconsin lemon law.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
There is a lot which may go wrong, as explained concisely in this video:

I absolutely hated the early CVTs with high RPMs upon opening the throttle moderately.

The IVT, which simulates a multi-speed transmission, has a more comfortable feel and sound, but will not handle high torques any better than the CVT.
I totally dig the British Robotic narrator!
My 1st exposure to a C.V.T. was in on my early 70's Rupp Roadster mini bike with a "TC-1" torque converter.
It worked much the same way but mostly mechanical and of course primitive compared to anything today.
Looky: RUPP TC1 TORQUE CONVERTER DRIVE MINIBIKE MINI CLUTCH | #119681593

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I totally dig the British Robotic narrator!
My 1st exposure to a C.V.T. was in on my early 70's Rupp Roadster mini bike with a "TC-1" torque converter.
It worked much the same way but mostly mechanical and of course primitive compared to anything today.
Looky: RUPP TC1 TORQUE CONVERTER DRIVE MINIBIKE MINI CLUTCH | #119681593
Thats cool srad. When we were kids riding around on Honda 90s, some of the younger ones, who couldn't use a clutch yet, got Honda 70s. I never thought about it but wonder if they had a small CVT in them?

Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Registered
Joined Nov 9, 2018
5 Posts
#8 41 mins ago

ITS THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION
All 2019 Turbos have this problem and owners need to get together for a class action lawsuit!
Here is my story:

So I'm going to say it.
The 2019 Kia soul TURBO transmission is a piece of SH**.
Bought my car at the end of Oct 2019.
By mid Jan with about 7500 miles on the car the transmission started to show clutch problems and hesitation when needing to accelerate quickly like merging on the hwy or passing.
The hesitation, is the software searching for a gear for the manual transmission that's run by the software, the hesitation would last 2 seconds which is a long time when you need to accelerate right now.
ALSO, when starting to move from a stop, the clutch would slip may times, like a person that didn't know how to drive a manual transmission letting the clutch out.
from a stop it would go jerk jerk jerk jerk jerk jerk until it would smooth out. This was not subtle, anyone that rides in the car asks, " what's wrong with your transmission".
If you are on a slight incline when starting, it's even worse.
The service manager at Kia and a tech took it for a drive and confirmed the problem. They said that it is not right but its the same with all Soul 2019 Turbo models.
Kia ran tests on it and said it was operating to spec....Meaning, they don't have a fix for it, it's a design flaw.
If you drove the car with the problem ( which does not show up until you have 7,000 - 10,000 miles on the car ) you would Never buy the car.
The service manager and tech said to file a consumer report with Kia Corp which i did in Jan 2019.
Kia says they will look into it and get back to you.
They never called me back.
When i called them, they say the case has been reassigned and they will have the person taking care of it to call me.
Again, they never call back. When i called back they say the person is not in and will call me back.
No one in 12 months has ever called me back! They have assigned me several different case numbers but every time i call in they always tell me they can't find it or it has expired?
Expired in 4 weeks???
I have called Kia over 20 times about this and they always say some one will call me back but no one ever does. The service manager and tech manager both are appalled that Kia ignores me so much that they have tried calling for me but even they can't get Kia to do anything.
Apparently this is a known design issue that Kia knows about and won't do anything about it. Its going to take a class action lawsuit from all 2019 Kia soul turbo owners to get Kia to do anything.
It does not meet the requirements for the Lemon law because its a design flaw in the transmission, it can't be fixed or adjusted to make it operate properly. They know it, they can't fix it, and there only recourse is to ignore the customer.
The worst car company I have ever had to deal with after purchasing 14 cars and trucks in my 63 years.
They do Not care a Rats ass about their customers!
Shame on Kia !!! I will never buy another one.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Ok jeffbeck27.

After all that would you consider hiring a lawyer? It may be your only option

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Thats cool srad. When we were kids riding around on Honda 90s, some of the younger ones, who couldn't use a clutch yet, got Honda 70s. I never thought about it but wonder if they had a small CVT in them?

Thanks for posting that.
No...because they also had/could to be shifted manually though no clutch lever.
They most likely had a wet centrifugal clutch not a cvt style set up.
My 1st gear box bike, a Suzuki 50 trail hopper had a similar set up.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Registered
Joined Nov 9, 2018
5 Posts
#8 41 mins ago

ITS THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION
All 2019 Turbos have this problem and owners need to get together for a class action lawsuit!
Here is my story:

So I'm going to say it.
The 2019 Kia soul TURBO transmission is a piece of SH**.
Bought my car at the end of Oct 2019.
By mid Jan with about 7500 miles on the car the transmission started to show clutch problems and hesitation when needing to accelerate quickly like merging on the hwy or passing.
The hesitation, is the software searching for a gear for the manual transmission that's run by the software, the hesitation would last 2 seconds which is a long time when you need to accelerate right now.
ALSO, when starting to move from a stop, the clutch would slip may times, like a person that didn't know how to drive a manual transmission letting the clutch out.
from a stop it would go jerk jerk jerk jerk jerk jerk until it would smooth out. This was not subtle, anyone that rides in the car asks, " what's wrong with your transmission".
If you are on a slight incline when starting, it's even worse.
The service manager at Kia and a tech took it for a drive and confirmed the problem. They said that it is not right but its the same with all Soul 2019 Turbo models.
Kia ran tests on it and said it was operating to spec....Meaning, they don't have a fix for it, it's a design flaw.
If you drove the car with the problem ( which does not show up until you have 7,000 - 10,000 miles on the car ) you would Never buy the car.
The service manager and tech said to file a consumer report with Kia Corp which i did in Jan 2019.
Kia says they will look into it and get back to you.
They never called me back.
When i called them, they say the case has been reassigned and they will have the person taking care of it to call me.
Again, they never call back. When i called back they say the person is not in and will call me back.
No one in 12 months has ever called me back! They have assigned me several different case numbers but every time i call in they always tell me they can't find it or it has expired?
Expired in 4 weeks???
I have called Kia over 20 times about this and they always say some one will call me back but no one ever does. The service manager and tech manager both are appalled that Kia ignores me so much that they have tried calling for me but even they can't get Kia to do anything.
Apparently this is a known design issue that Kia knows about and won't do anything about it. Its going to take a class action lawsuit from all 2019 Kia soul turbo owners to get Kia to do anything.
It does not meet the requirements for the Lemon law because its a design flaw in the transmission, it can't be fixed or adjusted to make it operate properly. They know it, they can't fix it, and there only recourse is to ignore the customer.
The worst car company I have ever had to deal with after purchasing 14 cars and trucks in my 63 years.
They do Not care a Rats ass about their customers!
Shame on Kia !!! I will never buy another one.
Sorry for your woes here but take a minuet to slow your (angry) roll and pump the brakes.
Turbo souls use a D.C.T. not a C.V.T. transmission.
Totally different animal but none the less the company is not handling you properly from what you have outlined here!

·
Registered
950 Posts
jeffbeck27,

Your next steps - recommend simply taking the car to your dealer (or several dealers) enough times until you reach the quota # for visits to lemon it. As an example, in my state, I'd only need to return the car 3 times for the same "problem" before going the lemon route. It does not matter if they fix anything; reporting the problem(s) to allow dealers the right number of attempts at repair is the critical factor. Once that quota is met, simply document all you've already done to allow a remedy and file that via your state's lemon law.

Good luck and let us know how things progress,
Greg

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
521 Posts
FYI, before anyone spends more serious time replying to jeffbeck27, please look at this user's past postings...the ones from 9 months ago and the ones from yesterday. I'd like to think it's not spammy, but... ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts