Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this happened to my car on Saturday coming down the main shopping center driveway from Walmart. Lady ran the stop sign and hit me dead in the middle of the car. I am SUPER impressed with how well the car protected my wife and I. The driver's side door will not open. We should hear today if the center beam makes this totaled. From the adjuster and body shop comments, it isn't sounding promising. I made this car my own with small added touches. Already without seeing the possible frame damage, already estimate is over $8800! If it gets totaled out, I want the exact same one, but the turbo line. This will prove hard, because there is literally only 1 in my area. Both my curtain airbags and the seat one deployed. To say I was upset is an understatement. Luckily I was able to climb over the center console area to get out of the car once the paramedics got on the scene. I cannot stress enough, from my personal experience, how safe this car is in a very vulnerable impact area. I have GAP coverage and I bought the car on 1/11/20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So glad that you are both alright! Also thanks for sharing your experience. There is always some apprehension for new owners when acquiring a smaller car than we are used to. Funny thing is my 2020 is almost the same to insure (Full cover) as our old 2003 CR-V (PIP/Liability only). That is of course because of all the safety features which are proven to work.

Bottom line and most importantly you are both safe!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry you were in an accident but glad you’re ok. The car is metal and plastic and replaceable.
Glad it held up well, the safety ratings (along with so called safety “nannies” like the blind spot warning and automatic braking) for this modern little car are one of the main reasons I bought one for my new driver wife.

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
72 Posts
Oh man I am so sorry!
Glad you're alright & thanks for sharing.

If totaled you looking to the 2021 Turbo Soul? The GT-Lline Turbo apparently was a one-off in that it's been rebadged.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,305 Posts
Oh man I am so sorry!
Glad you're alright & thanks for sharing.

If totaled you looking to the 2021 Turbo Soul? The GT-Lline Turbo apparently was a one-off in that it's been rebadged.
They just dropped the words "GT Line" from the badge. For 2021 it's just called the "Turbo." Pretty much the same as the 2020 spec wise.

It was confusing buyers with the IVT version of the GT Line.

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
72 Posts
Rebadged

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Clarifying the "one off."

·
Registered
144 Posts
Glad you and the wife are OK. I had the same thing happen to me in my 2012 Soul+ pulled out of the doctors office and a woman driver T-Boned me. A witness said she was on her cell phone. I walked away with a scratch on my elbow so yes they are very safe cars. The Soul was totaled so I got a 2016 Soul + out of the settlement. I did loose my fuel refund tho.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,064 Posts
That really sucks, glad you're OK!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So this happened to my car on Saturday coming down the main shopping center driveway from Walmart. Lady ran the stop sign and hit me dead in the middle of the car. I am SUPER impressed with how well the car protected my wife and I. The driver's side door will not open. We should hear today if the center beam makes this totaled. From the adjuster and body shop comments, it isn't sounding promising. I made this car my own with small added touches. Already without seeing the possible frame damage, already estimate is over $8800! If it gets totaled out, I want the exact same one, but the turbo line. This will prove hard, because there is literally only 1 in my area. Both my curtain airbags and the seat one deployed. To say I was upset is an understatement. Luckily I was able to climb over the center console area to get out of the car once the paramedics got on the scene. I cannot stress enough, from my personal experience, how safe this car is in a very vulnerable impact area. I have GAP coverage and I bought the car on 1/11/20.

View attachment 134872
Let me give you a short lesson on GAP. BUY IT. If you do not put a large down pay on a car you are a fool to pass on gap. I bought a 2019 Chevy bolt, sticker was $44 grand. 1 year later, totaled. USAA paid $29 grand, which was value with 5000 miles. Gap paid over $15 grand. Jim Moran and Associate, Deerfield Beach,FL. All done with an app for the IPad. They also refunded my mechanical warrant. Tire/wheel warranty also. Ps. My car was totaled in a parking lot!

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
A little more info on GAP (Guaranteed Auto Protection) Insurance

The minute you drive off the lot, a new vehicle loses some value — around 20% to 30% total in the first year. After that, the car’s value will continue to decline. If your car is totaled or stolen, standard auto insurance will only pay for the value of the car at the time of the incident. That means you’re responsible for paying the difference between the car’s current value and the amount of your car loan.

This is where gap insurance can come in handy... (article continues)

Gap Insurance: What It Is and Who Needs It - NerdWallet

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sad yet relieved. Just got word my 2020 Kia Soul GT has been deemed a total loss after someone T boned us in a shopping center on Sept. 19th. The center beam was beyond repair. We thought it was coming to this point, but wasn't sure. Now we have to wait 24-48 hours for the insurance to get an estimate of value so we can pay it to our finance company, and then let GAP coverage pay the rest. Now to find another car. Grateful wife and I are fine, very sad our car was not. Thankful both the body shop and Insurance did us right and in the end, the correct thing was done.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts