Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is a very small hammer...I I tested it out Friday......Quite a disappointment........good car for the wife.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Follow the manual, Willy, not some worthless anecdotal postings. It gets tiring reading posts from people that contradict themselves and even logic all too often (especially when it becomes detrimental). Some new vehicles are dyno-tested and ready to "rock" from day 1 while others require more gentle break-in periods.

Greg

·
Registered
74 Posts
The new designed transmission on the 2020 needs more breaking-in, than the new engine. If there's going to be major problems with our 2020, it's the new design. My 2.0 MPI engine is rock solid so far, for almost 5k now.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Coming back to the topic of the thread (and that's where a moderator could be helpful) which is "2.0 oil usage", I could find one reported case on carcompaints.com:
"High oil consumption...I added 2 quarts of oil in 3500 miles..took 2 dealer...they changed the oil & started oil consumption test. I was to take car back @ 4500,5500,6500 miles. I took it back @ 4500 only 2 find out dealer did not start oil consumption test correctly & when they changed oil the dealer over filled . The test had to be re-started. With all the engine issues I have read about with the Kia cars this is a major concern.In another 400 miles I will return to dealer to check levels. I am not to add or check my oil during this test. I should not be having these issues with a new car."
Now the above appears to be excessive but it's too bad the dealer reportedly didn't do the initial test correctly...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
We bought a 2020 Kia soul and at 3600 miles oil light came on
We took it to the dealer can'tfind any problems so started an oil consumption tesr. My husband also has a 2020 kia soul and we just checked the oil at 3700 miles and it is also losing oil. Back to the dealer for both vehicles. First time owner of kia but am nervous now
Never had these problems in any pther vehicles we have owned

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi
We took it to the dealer can'tfind any problems so started an oil consumption tesr. My husband also has a 2020 kia soul and we just checked the oil at 3700 miles and it is also losing oil. Back to the dealer for both vehicles. First time owner of kia but am nervous now
Never had these problems in any pther vehicles we have owned
Interesting and disturbing.....good thing I have checked mine like I am crazy........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi
Never had these problems in any other vehicles we have owned
4700 miles on our 2020 Soul X-Line 2.0MPI and no oil usage. However, we changed the oil at 2,000 miles and will change it again at 5,750 miles. Which is another 3,750 miles.

We aren;t letting our oil changes go long. We are going to stick to the Owners Manual Severe Use schedule, even though we don't drive in severe use conditions.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Anywhere close to a large body of water, and you have SAND. Sand can kill an engine, thus, the Severe warning if you drive in or around sand. I've been to Michigan, and the sand there is not as bad as here in FL, but, you can't go wrong by following the Severe use schedule.
My 2020 Soul now just turned over 13,000 miles, with an oil change at my dealer every 3,000 miles, and so far she's not used any oil at all. I have to admit, though, that I broke her in FAST, and out on the Big Road, I don't spare the horses. Cruising speed is between 80 to 90 mph, and while jumping ahead to take advantage of an open space in the HS lane, 100+ mph is not a reach.
My little Jem just love to RUN, and RUN she does, and never gives me a bit of trouble.
The performance is GREAT! The MPG is also GREAT, and the 8th Gear* in the IVT gives me Really Great mpg while cruising on the highway. Most salesmen will never tell you about the 8th Gear.....they don't even know it exists. I just found it by accident. The RPM drops by about 200, when going from "D" to 8th Gear.

One fellow, well meaning I'm sure, said that "there is NO 8th gear on the Soul" so I just had to take this pic.
Yes, it's REAL!

Cheers Mate!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anywhere close to a large body of water, and you have SAND. Sand can kill an engine, thus, the Severe warning if you drive in or around sand. I've been to Michigan, and the sand there is not as bad as here in FL, but, you can't go wrong by following the Severe use schedule.
My 2020 Soul now just turned over 13,000 miles, with an oil change at my dealer every 3,000 miles, and so far she's not used any oil at all. I have to admit, though, that I broke her in FAST, and out on the Big Road, I don't spare the horses. Cruising speed is between 80 to 90 mph, and while jumping ahead to take advantage of an open space in the HS lane, 100+ mph is not a reach.
My little Jem just love to RUN, and RUN she does, and never gives me a bit of trouble.
The performance is GREAT! The MPG is also GREAT, and the 8th Gear* in the IVT gives me Really Great mpg while cruising on the highway. Most salesmen will never tell you about the 8th Gear.....they don't even know it exists. I just found it by accident. The RPM drops by about 200, when going from "D" to 8th Gear.
View attachment 134400
One fellow, well meaning I'm sure, said that "there is NO 8th gear on the Soul" so I just had to take this pic.
Yes, it's REAL!

Cheers Mate!
FLH :cool:
I drive mine in 10th----;)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I figured with 4000 gentle mile it should be pretty well broken in...
ID10T!

To properly break in any engine, you have to WORK it! Gentle never broke in an engine, and Gentle never seated a set of rings, and Gentle is on here complaining about oil usage.
Work the engine, seat the rings, and stop complaining about oil usage.
:cool:

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
69 Posts
ID10T!

To properly break in any engine, you have to WORK it! Gentle never broke in an engine, and Gentle never seated a set of rings, and Gentle is on here complaining about oil usage.
Work the engine, seat the rings, and stop complaining about oil usage.
Honestly guy, your idea of how to break in a new car is crazy.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Not according to 60+ years of experience! And the FACT, that I'm not on here complaining about oil usage! Eh?

My 2013 Soul started loosing oil, at about 60k miles, and I changed the PCV valve, and that took care of the problem.
I documented all that, at the time, on the forum.

Just to keep it all friendly, You drive your car the way you want to, and I'll drive my car the way I want to, and maybe some day, we can do lunch. After all, we're only a few miles apart, and I'm in your area at least once a month.
On my last trip down there, I had lunch at Cody's Roadhouse, in Sumpter Landing. That's just as easy drive for me.
And following lunch, I went on down to Cody's Roadhouse in 'Brownwood' for some desert. I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with 'Brian' the bartender.

Catch ya later, Alligator!

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
69 Posts
Not according to 60+ years of experience! And the FACT, that I'm not on here complaining about oil usage! Eh?

My 2013 Soul started loosing oil, at about 60k miles, and I changed the PCV valve, and that took care of the problem.
I documented all that, at the time, on the forum.

Just to keep it all friendly, You drive your car the way you want to, and I'll drive my car the way I want to, and maybe some day, we can do lunch. After all, we're only a few miles apart, and I'm in your area at least once a month.
On my last trip down there, I had lunch at Cody's Roadhouse, in Sumpter Landing. That's just as easy drive for me.
And following lunch, I went on down to Cody's Roadhouse in 'Brownwood' for some desert. I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with 'Brian' the bartender.

Catch ya later, Alligator!

You're right. I do my way, you do your way. I've had my designer 3.5 months and only got 858 miles on it. I checked oil level day after I got it home and it was on the full mark. My plan is to check it @ 1000K and give an honest report here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're right. I do my way, you do your way. I've had my designer 3.5 months and only got 858 miles on it. I checked oil level day after I got it home and it was on the full mark. My plan is to check it @ 1000K and give an honest report here.
I'm at 5100 on our 2020 Soul X-Line 2.0 and the dipstick level has always read at the full-mark. It gets driven moderately. My wife drives it lightly and I drive it hard. Changed the oil at 2k and will change it again at 5750.

I will have the dealer's Total Quartz Synblend 5w20 analyzed then and will post the results.

In the meantime.... Sleep easy and enjoy your new toy.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts