Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 1,800 miles on my 2020 Soul GT line 2.0L ENGINE. Checked to oil today, looks to be 1/2 to quart low. Is this command in Kia engines? I checked it the day i bought it 7weeks ago and it was at the correct level. I have driven the car easy to break in everything correctly .

First Kia (2019 soul) no problems, this one has a lot of issues!

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake buying a second Kia!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Our '20 Soul LX has used no oil in 4,600 miles. First oil change was done by dealer (freebie) at 2,100, and it was still on "Full" the day before I took it in. I checked the day after the change and they correctly filled it to the "Full " mark (at 2,100 miles) and it is still right on the mark today at 4,600.

I'm assuming you are checking in the same parking spot as to avoid discrepancies caused by a tilted or nose-up/ nose-down angles??

I would suggest checking it over the next few days. If it stays in the same spot, top it off with a little less than 1/2 quart and monitor it after that. If it keeps going down, head to the dealer.

Document every drop of oil you add / mileage for future reference with the dealer or with KIA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am checking it in the same level spot in my drive. Hoping it could be due to a Kia break in. This is the first time I have seen this in a new engine, but i have read about some engine problems in the Kia's.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looking closely at your photo, the oil seems to be covering 11 out of 15 rows of the dots. Rounding it off, that's about 1/3 quart below full. That would make your oil usage 1 quart for every 5,400 miles. Annoying, yes, but really nothing to be alarmed about, especially during break-in. After the next time you drive it, let it sit for an hour or more and check the level. If it's still the same, top it off and continue monitoring. If it continues to drop, visit the dealer.

KIA engines are generally very well built. There have been a few thousand cases of engine failures nationwide (including all models and engines) and that caused a very vocal backlash, but considering the hundred thousands of them out there, it's really a small percentage. Our KIA mechanic told me they change about 2 engines (all models, mostly 2.4-liter Sportages) out per week at the dealer, but they have sold between 30-40 cars per week the past 10 years. Yes, it would stink to be in that small percentage, but at least the warranty is for 10 years.

Again - document how much you add and the mileage. And go out and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
One of the saddest things I've read on this forum over the past 8 years, is when one guy said, " I'm going to break it in real SLOW, so as not to hurt it".
The worse thing anyone can do to a new (Soul) engine is running it SLOW during the break in period. They obviously have NO CLUE as to what Break In really means.
On my last (2) Souls, I've hit the rev limiter at least once a day, since day one. That actually helps the piston rings seat in, and sets the upper limit for the piston travel in the cylinders.

On my 2013 Soul, and now on my 2020 Soul, I've broken the engines in FAST, and I've had NO oil usage on either car.
Except, on my 2013 Soul, 1.6L, when the PCV valve needed replacing. After I installed the new PCV valve, the oil usage went back down to zero. That was at ~60k miles.
There shouldn't be any 2020 Souls needing a new PCV valve, yet.
Failure to properly seat the rings on a new engine, can definitely result in some oil usage. And it can also shorten the life of the engine.

Nuff said.

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles (1,000 km) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
  • Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow.Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
  • Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
  • Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of operation.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The guy who wrote that is no smarter than you are, for quoting it. You just proved it....you are NOT a mechanical engineer.

Other than that, you're probably a pretty nice guy.

Cheers mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought FL Hamster was an IT guy - I guess he's also a mechanical engineer - LOL! Quotes the Kia manual all the time - but when you quote it you are wrong! LOL! FLHamster's comments and "knowledge" are a constant source of amusement. :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
757 Posts
Uh Oh, now you will get him started..... When I was in the Army stationed in Germany riding motorcycles and in charge of the motor pool,etc.....LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
We are just young impressionable whippersnappers. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've changed the oil on Navy EA-6B Prowlers many times - right after a flight while the jets were still moving. That stuff was hot! Also fueled lots of types of planes. That wasn't my normal job - I was an AT. (Avionics Technician) It was pretty intense getting under a jet while the turbines are still going... You would pump oil in one connection on the belly and have a catch can connected to another hole to catch the used oil.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've changed the oil on Navy EA-6B Prowlers many times - right after a flight while the jets were still moving. That stuff was hot! Also fueled lots of types of planes. That wasn't my normal job - I was an AT. (Avionics Technician) It was pretty intense getting under a jet while the turbines are still going... You would pump oil in one connection on the belly and have a catch can connected to another hole to catch the used oil.
Thank you for your service.

Hope that wasn't you working on this EA-6 :
That young sailor is one lucky kid!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you for your service.

Hope that wasn't you working on this EA-6 :
That young sailor is one lucky kid!
That wasn't me luckily. I never got on an aircraft carrier. I was in a sqaudron out of Andrews AFB. That guy is lucky as hell!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have less than 1,800 miles on my 2020 Soul GT line 2.0L ENGINE. Checked to oil today, looks to be 1/2 to quart low. Is this command in Kia engines? I checked it the day i bought it 7weeks ago and it was at the correct level. I have driven the car easy to break in everything correctly .

First Kia (2019 soul) no problems, this one has a lot of issues!

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake buying a second Kia!!!
Over the 1st 3000 miles in our soul I had to add 11oz of Oil. Kia service did not give a s%$#. My wife stated they were totally uninterested in that bit of information. From a consumer standpoint.....very poor way to respond to a customer. While it may be considered normal oil consumption...….it is far from normal in my experience with cars produced in the last 30 plus years. It is not a Wankle

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Right on Willy! It's not normal, for an engine that's properly broken in, for sure.
Put the hammer Down!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Right on Willy! It's not normal, for an engine that's properly broken in, for sure.
Put the hammer Down!

So normal is your method, not what the manual recommends? I have followed the manufactures recommended break-in procedures since my 1st new car purchase.......only one Ford and One KIA have burned oil since when new

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I repeat, Willy, put the hammer down. Hit the rev limiter as often as you can, and you'll get that engine broken in right.
You CAN'T seat the rings by driving it s....l....o....w.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts