Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2020 Soul EX or 2021 Seltos EX?

• Total voters
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I voted for the Seltos - I love the car but I don't want to pay a $4000 premium just because it is new. and has a few more inches of cargo space; that extra inch of wheelbase seems to make it feel or ride larger in my opinion. They are discounting the 2020 Souls and charging a premium for the 2021 Seltos. I decided to wait a while and hopefully they will be discounting the Seltos in a few months. The one I tested 2 1/2 weeks ago is still sitting there so they aren't flying off the dealer's floor

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello! I was really eyeing a new 2020 Soul EX because it has all of the options I want (aside from the premium speaker setup), but then I saw the Seltos and really liked it too. We bought a Telluride last year and absolutely LOVE it, so I’m looking at trading in my 2012 Focus Titanium manual (that I love) for a automatic that my wife can drive whenever she’s not using the Telluride. Price wise, I really love the Soul EX, but I’m wondering if I should go with the “Baby Telluride” because I love our Telluride so much. Thoughts?
Apples and oranges really. The Soul is a simple, fuel efficient, utilitarian, iconic boxy FWD hatchback. The Seltos is a miniaturized modern swoopy, creased, crossover SUV (with AWD available). Seltos costs more at a given level of equipment. It comes down to budget, need for AWD and style preference.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,218 Posts
The Seltos has the same total cargo capacity as the Soul. That 1" extra wheelbase would be pretty much the same ride as the Soul unless you bought an AWD Seltos which comes with independent rear suspension.

The fully tricked out Seltos with destination is knocking on $30k. Compare that with a base Telluride or something like a Sportage S that have larger powertrains & higher end finishes (you know, something tangible).

Unless you just gotta have AWD, the Seltos is a Soul minus the hamster swag :)

Reactions: SangreJoven

·
Registered
3 Posts
I voted for the Seltos - I love the car but I don't want to pay a $4000 premium just because it is new. and has a few more inches of cargo space; that extra inch of wheelbase seems to make it feel or ride larger in my opinion. They are discounting the 2020 Souls and charging a premium for the 2021 Seltos. I decided to wait a while and hopefully they will be discounting the Seltos in a few months. The one I tested 2 1/2 weeks ago is still sitting there so they aren't flying off the dealer's floor
Well a Large Oak tree crushed my (My Wife's that is everyone's disclaimer) Totaled it and didn't miss a single body panel or headlight! The first thing my wife checked was the sunroof and that Still worked, I was shocked. It was a great car, I bought it new and it was fun to drive.
I looked at the Seltos and the Soul and the new Seltos just rode and drove better so I went with the Seltos, And it had the options I wanted. I had to search several dealers to find the car I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. Some dealers will deal and some want that premium so I had to do my shopping. So far I love it but it does have a hesitation leaving a stop sign in "Normal" mode, I don't see the delay in the "Sport" Mode or "Smart" mode. Hopefully the Seltos will be as reliable as my old soul was.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hate thread-endings like this one. Nobody knows which vehicle the OP finally decided upon.

Or maybe he decided against both and drove a Toyota home instead.:unsure:

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT Line Turbo, Neptune Blue
64 Posts
I hate thread-endings like this one. Nobody knows which vehicle the OP finally decided upon...
Agreed. I was in the same boat back in May. I ended up getting the Soul as I wanted that enormous LCD screen and the HUD. I really liked the Seltos styling and the AWD but the screen and HUD won out. That and the dealer had the exact Soul I wanted and not a single Seltos on the lot, let alone the SX Turbo AWD in which I was interested.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
575 Posts
The soul is a little more quirky, where the stseltos blends in a little more. The wheelbase does make the soul ride a little jittery, but it may not be too different than the seltos

·
Registered
104 Posts
The soul is a little more quirky, where the stseltos blends in a little more. The wheelbase does make the soul ride a little jittery, but it may not be too different than the seltos
Though unlike the Soul the Seltos has an independent rear suspension which really should help smooth out the ride. I also expect the Seltos is a little heavier (slightly longer body and AWD) which changes the handling and ride dynamics a bit too. For me the Seltos is too generic. Like a yellow two-box with black lettering that says "Subcompact CUV" in black. The Soul has spunk and character. The Seltos, not so much.

But if I lived in snow country, Seltos all the way over the Soul.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've had 4x4's, RWD's, AWD's and my trusty Soul with FWD.
But, this isn't the first FWD I've ever had. And I lived in snow country when I had the first three FWD cars.
I know how an AWD car drives, when in AWD mode, and I don't like it.
For my money, I'd take my FWD Soul into snow country any day, with no reservations.

In loose sand, or probably snow, ice, etc, the Soul has great traction and with a little less air in the front tires, traction is greatly increased. I use that little trick out here in the loose sand, when i need more traction, like when I'm pulling someone else out of a sand pit, or pulling my Road Drag.

I see the Ad on TV of the Seltos driving across sand dunes. Impressive, but also pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure that the Soul with the right tires, at the right pressure, could do the same. Some of the roads that I drive on around here, are every bit as bad as those sand dunes, and my little Jem handles them just fine.

Cheers mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2021 Kia Seltos combines the practicality of the hatchback Soul in a larger package with the automaker's low price and superlative warranty. The 2020 Kia Soul compact hatchback is proof of life among small, inexpensive cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I’m 6’7”. I tried both the Seltos and The Soul before I decided. The difference in cargo capacity is, in my opinion, of 2cubic feet, negligible. I can live with either FWD or AWD. But I’m not a fan of the complexity of AWD. For me, I just fit better in the Soul, and I appreciate the extra gas mileage. I also believe that the FWD is almost as good in snow as all AWD if one has the proper tires and drives appropriately. So I have the Soul and really like driving it.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
697 Posts
The 2021 Kia Seltos combines the practicality of the hatchback Soul in a larger package with the automaker's low price and superlative warranty. The 2020 Kia Soul compact hatchback is proof of life among small, inexpensive cars.
It sounds like you write marketing copy for Kia. 😁

·
Registered
172 Posts
I considered a Seltos when I was buying the Soul - the Seltos looks nice but being so new - they weren't offering any finance deals/ leasing deals. I got the Soul and I'm happy.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not so much, actually.

There's a reason Kia sells both Soul and Seltos, and it's NOT styling differences.

There is no AWD for the Soul, so the Seltos offers AWD in a similar subcompact format.

And you pay more for that feature - though the two lines don't exactly match up feature-for-feature at a given trim level, you do pay considerably more for a similarly equipped Seltos than you do for the corresponding equipment level of Soul.

The Seltos is actually only larger, slightly, on the outside. Inside the volume and other dimensions are nearly identical (showing that the Seltos is built on the Soul platform), with the Soul actually offering more cargo space than the Seltos when the rear seats are in use. Bigger on the outside and actually smaller on the inside in some respects. That's regress not progress.

Max cargo volume, rear seats folded: Seltos 62.8 cu ft; Soul 62.1
Max cargo volume, rear seats up: Seltos

Rear Legroom: Seltos 38"; Soul 38.8"

The Soul is lighter and more fuel efficient than the Seltos at comparable feature content levels.

So basically the value proposition for the Seltos is "pay more money than for a Soul, get AWD, but lose a a very little bit of space/capacity and pay more in fuel costs.

For most it will come down to two things - (1) can you get over the boxy - er, I mean "iconic" Soul styling and/or (2) do you need AWD?

It's a cosmetic repackage of the Soul with one killer new feature not available on the Soul - AWD.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
697 Posts
Or rather cut and paste Kia marketing materials to automotive forums.
I was giving this new member the benefit of the doubt since they may not be from a North American country, but yeah, it sounded like it was pulled straight from Kia's website. 👍😁

21 - 37 of 37 Posts