Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2020 Soul EX or 2021 Seltos EX?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was really eyeing a new 2020 Soul EX because it has all of the options I want (aside from the premium speaker setup), but then I saw the Seltos and really liked it too. We bought a Telluride last year and absolutely LOVE it, so I’m looking at trading in my 2012 Focus Titanium manual (that I love) for a automatic that my wife can drive whenever she’s not using the Telluride. Price wise, I really love the Soul EX, but I’m wondering if I should go with the “Baby Telluride” because I love our Telluride so much. Thoughts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The reason I voted for the Soul is because this is the first year for the Seltos. I would wait to make sure Kia gets the bugs worked out. I have a 2020 Soul EX but I might look at the Seltos in a couple years from now because of the AWD. Man I which they would do AWD in the Soul.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,252 Posts
The reason I voted for the Soul is because this is the first year for the Seltos. I would wait to make sure Kia gets the bugs worked out. I have a 2020 Soul EX but I might look at the Seltos in a couple years from now because of the AWD. Man I which they would do AWD in the Soul.
I think it's the "first year" for both the Soul & Seltos, right?

To the OP my feelings on the "baby Telluride" moniker used by some reviewers is that's quite a stretch to compare. The Seltos is basically a Soul with available AWD. It's got hard cheap plastics everywhere. If AWD isn't necessary, I'd go with the Soul EX. Better trim materials, exact same engine & cargo capacity.

Honestly if someone was thinking of a tricked out Seltos, look at a LX Telluride for marginally close price ($2,000 to 4,000 more). It has far better material quality, engine and utility. Or a Sportage EX for slightly less money and more horsepower (181 v 175) than a Seltos Turbo SX. The Sportage cabin quality is superior.

The Seltos doesn't make alot of sense to me, beyond the hype aspect.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, cool. Thanks for the vote. Definitely a good point. How are you liking your Soul EX btw? Are the factory speakers decent? I REALLY love my stock 8 speaker (with sub) Sony system in my Focus, and I’m worried I’ll be underwhelmed by a stock setup without the sub. I don’t want to spend all the extra money for the Turbo Soul just for the Bose system either. I don’t really need a turbo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

To the OP my feelings on the "baby Telluride" moniker used by some reviewers is that's quite a stretch to compare. The Seltos is basically a Soul with available AWD. It's got hard cheap plastics everywhere. If AWD isn't necessary, I'd go with the Soul EX. Better trim materials, exact same engine & cargo capacity.

Honestly if someone was thinking of a tricked out Seltos, look at a LX Telluride for marginally close price ($4,000 more). It has far better material quality, engine and utility. Or a Sportage EX for slightly less money and more horsepower.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
142 Posts

Honestly if someone was thinking of a tricked out Seltos, look at a LX Telluride for marginally close price ($4,000 more). It has far better material quality, engine and utility. Or a Sportage EX for slightly less money and more horsepower (181 v 175) than a Seltos Turbo SX. The Sportage cabin quality is superior.

The 2020 Soul is not AWD. Same engine as my 2012 Soul+ Only thing new in the 2020 Soul is the IVT.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,588 Posts
Get what you like. Here's a comparitor, not as good as the KIA site used to have but that went away for some reason.

I threw in a Venue just for the fun of it.

I don't get excited about hard plastics etc., mostly the road testers seem to need that as a nit to pick but I don't spend a lot of time massaging various internal panels so it's macht nichts in my book.

I don't want or need AWD, I run winter tires and those will do better than AWD with all-seasons. AWD is IMO way way oversold as a cure-all for a problem that usually doesn't exist.

I haven't driven a Seltos, nor a Venue, but over the years Souls have been solid soldiers for me so I see no need to switch.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
The 2020 Soul is not AWD. Same engine as my 2012 Soul+ Only thing new in the 2020 Soul is the IVT.
That's true. The Seltos is also available in FWD.

It is the same Nu engine as your 2012 except for different compression ratio, torque, transmission and horsepower. But yeah, the same?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get what you like. Here's a comparitor, not as good as the KIA site used to have but that went away for some reason.

I threw in a Venue just for the fun of it.

I don't get excited about hard plastics etc., mostly the road testers seem to need that as a nit to pick but I don't spend a lot of time massaging various internal panels so it's macht nichts in my book.

I don't want or need AWD, I run winter tires and those will do better than AWD with all-seasons. AWD is IMO way way oversold as a cure-all for a problem that usually doesn't exist.

I haven't driven a Seltos, nor a Venue, but over the years Souls have been solid soldiers for me so I see no need to switch.
Thanks for that comparison chart. That really helps a lot! ?

The Soul definitely gets my vote at that price point, plus it’s got more second row space as well (which is important for me with car seats).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Anyone do a Dyno Test on the 2020 Soul engine, yet? I did one on my little 1.6L in my 2013 Soul, and she produced 1hp more than a 2.0L of the same year. We both posted our Dyno results on this forum. That seems like a lifetime ago.
So now I'm anxious to get my little 'Jem' on a Dyno Jet and just see what she can do, now that she's pretty well broken in.

Same engine? Not according to what I've heard. The Dyno will tell the tale. I just hope it's not too expensive.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was trying to make the same determination: Soul Ex vs Seltos EX. I was replacing the best car I have ever owned, a 2015 Mazda 3 hatch with stick. Due to some recent back issues, I was looking for a car that had a high seating position, but was economical. Living in NY, AWD would be helpful but would decrease gas mileage. I was able to get a White EX Soul for just under $21,300 while the Seltos EX would have cost me just under $26k. There are no incentives and the stock for EX Seltos is limited as the S seems to be their volume model.
I purchased the car exactly two weeks ago and, after just turning 1100 miles today, I am reasonably sure I made a good choice. The gas mileage is over the rated 35mpg highway already, with some trips as high as 38+. The only issues I have with the car are the very stiff ride over uneven surfaces (which seems to be more than 50% of the roads I drive...NY weather and shoddy workmanship breed potholes), and my knee bone rests against the center console regardless of seating position. Having driven the Seltos, the ride was less jumpy at times, but the center console would have still been an issue. All told, if I can solve the knee issue, I will be quite happy with my fist Kia.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was trying to make the same determination: Soul Ex vs Seltos EX. I was replacing the best car I have ever owned, a 2015 Mazda 3 hatch with stick. Due to some recent back issues, I was looking for a car that had a high seating position, but was economical. Living in NY, AWD would be helpful but would decrease gas mileage. I was able to get a White EX Soul for just under $21,300 while the Seltos EX would have cost me just under $26k. There are no incentives and the stock for EX Seltos is limited as the S seems to be their volume model.
I purchased the car exactly two weeks ago and, after just turning 1100 miles today, I am reasonably sure I made a good choice. The gas mileage is over the rated 35mpg highway already, with some trips as high as 38+. The only issues I have with the car are the very stiff ride over uneven surfaces (which seems to be more than 50% of the roads I drive...NY weather and shoddy workmanship breed potholes), and my knee bone rests against the center console regardless of seating position. Having driven the Seltos, the ride was less jumpy at times, but the center console would have still been an issue. All told, if I can solve the knee issue, I will be quite happy with my fist Kia.
Thanks for your detailed review! That sounds surprisingly similar to my story. I’ve got a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium 5-speed thatI love but my wife cannot drive stick. So I’ve been thinking of trading it in for something that’s still fun but is an automatic. The Kia Soul definitely sounds like a good choice. ?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Hey Glocker, thanks too for your review and insights. My initial thought on the "ride" being firmer in the Soul is because of the torsion beam suspension in the rear. Comparing apples to apples, the Seltos FWD is also torsion beam, so I doubt there would be too much difference.

The Seltos AWD does gain an independent rear suspension, but like you mentioned, you'll pay thousands more for that vehicle.

FWIW, I think you made an excellent choice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Glocker, thanks too for your review and insights. My initial thought on the "ride" being firmer in the Soul is because of the torsion beam suspension in the rear. Comparing apples to apples, the Seltos FWD is also torsion beam, so I doubt there would be too much difference.

The Seltos AWD does gain an independent rear suspension, but like you mentioned, you'll pay thousands more for that vehicle.

FWIW, I think you made an excellent choice!
I agree wholeheartedly. Now let's hope the IVT holds up. ?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. Now let's hope the IVT holds up. ?
That's the $64,000 question!

The nice thing is you've got a TEN year powertrain warranty :)

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
A

Have there been a lot a issues with them? I thought Kia has been using this IVT for awhile now.
Well, maybe pour yourself a cup of coffee and look through this thread :)

2020 is the first year for the IVT in the Soul and only the second in the Forte (same engine). So it's relatively new tech from Kia. From what I've seen, it's a great CVT transmission as far as handling etc. Some folks have been having failures however.

So Far, IVT Transmission Failures Seem to Be at Low Total Mileage

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, maybe pour yourself a cup of coffee and look through this thread :)

2020 is the first year for the IVT in the Soul and only the second in the Forte (same engine). So it's relatively new tech from Kia. From what I've seen, it's a great CVT transmission as far as handling etc. Some folks have been having failures however.

So Far, IVT Transmission Failures Seem to Be at Low Total Mileage
Interesting. Are those who are having failures being covered by Kia’s warranty? If, so, I’m not too concerned since it’s such a long warranty anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
785 Posts
Interesting. Are those who are having failures being covered by Kia’s warranty? If, so, I’m not too concerned since it’s such a long warranty anyway.
Yep, your covered until you put a 100,000 miles on 'em or 10 years, as many trannies as needed.

Reactions: SangreJoven

·
Registered
152 Posts
I voted the Soul as well; I love my X-Line, is the right car for me. Not too small, not too big, and I just plain like the way feels inside and out. I will say the IVT issue has me on edge a bit, but I'm just really loving the car. It's got just the right amount of cargo space and utility. So another vote for the Soul. I got mine for just about $6k below MSRP, so that's what put me over the edge as well.

Reactions: GeoSoul
1 - 20 of 37 Posts