Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2020 Soul Ex Nav Upgrade (10" screen if that makes a difference)

12K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  Tree 44 
#1 ·
There is a map AND SYSTEM update coming out in a few days I am wondering if KIA includes any free map updates with a a new vehicle.
The NAV is no big deal as there are so many other options but there also will be a ent system upgrade with it (and probably other stuff likely BT and Carplay ???).

Reactions: Narsil
#3 · (Edited)
I called Kia and they said I had to pay for it then I went to the map website and it was basically free. I had to pay $25 for the usb sticks they send It on plus $6 shipping but even that would be free if I waited till May when a free download would be available. Originally it said July for downloading but they just changed it so I should have waited 2 weeks.
Website is:
Www.mapnsoft.com

Reactions: Narsil and eGAK009
#4 ·
I called Kia and they said I had to pay for it then I went to the map website and it was basically free. I had to pay $25 for the usb sticks they send It on plus $6 shipping but even that would be free if I waited till May when a free download would be available. Originally it said July for downloading but they just changed it so I should have waited 2 weeks.
Website is:
Www.mapnsoft.com
Thanks for that info. So are you going to download to an USB or an SD Card? I can't find an SD slot so will a USB work?

#13 ·
I actually contacted mapnsoft asking when they week release the download. I own a 2020 Kia Soul Gt Turbo. They wrote right back saying that for my car I would need to purchase the software and that it will not be released as a download. I then checked all of the 2020 Kia’s and 21 Seltos and no car had a free download, all have to be purchased. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

#27 ·
I took a look at the website. They said they do releases in April and September. I got my 2020 EX in May and it shows I have version NAM 12.47.44.510.205.3. The website says current version is NAM.13.41.41.XXX. My question is do I wait to see if there will be a September release or get the current one now?

#28 ·
Regarding your new Soul, mine was new in April. I purchased and just installed the updated software 13.41.41XXX. Did this because the software support contact I spoke with guessed a newer update would be later this year, maybe December, so that's too ambiguous for me. My personal decision was that considering all the money I spend on my EX, I want full capability from my nav. But also, if you're not familiar with software versions, a jump from "12" to "13" is a major release with important changes and problem patches. A jump from like "12.41" to "12.42" is just nice-to-have patches. And a jump from "12.41.41" to "12.41.42" is a patch that fixes problems. So some of those lesser ones I might skip.

There is one new feature, I think, is cool. By pressing Media, It plays "Sounds of Nature" if you want some audio other than music/talk, etc. They are titled:
-Living Forest
-Calm Sea Waves
-Rainy Day
-Open-Air Cafe
-Warm Fireplace
-Snowy Village
That is all for that.

#30 ·
MAP UPDATE PROCESS - I followed when installing 13.41.41XXX for my 2020 EX with proximity key. Total time was about 29 minutes.
1) Because this was my first time doing this in my garage and it's hot, I didn't know if the car would get hot idling so I set up fan in front of the radiator to circulate the air. Engine temp stayed where it normally was.
2) Turned off my phone's Bluetooth.
3) Started vehicle and left proximity key in vehicle.
4) Pressed Setup.
5) Selected General on screen.
6) Selected System Info.
7) Selected SW Info/Update.
8) Inserted USB.
9) Selected Yes when update choice appeared.
10) Selected recommended Quick Update which does everything you need.
11) Watched the five updates be applied.
#1 applying Map changes ~17 minutes.
#2 applying System changes ~5 minutes.
#3 applying GPS changes was maybe 2 seconds.
#4 too fast to see what changed.
#5 apply uCom changes ~3 minutes.
12) Then the system restarted once for 3 minutes and then again for 1 minute.
Good luck.

This post has been deleted
#33 ·
I have a new Soul that's two weeks old and would be interested in the source.
Information about the maps is at www.mapnsoft.com. After you open that you'll see three icons, one for Genesis, one for Hyundai, and one for Kia. Click on Kia. Note that Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia share map info as well as components within the cars. Like Soul's transmission of supposed to be from Hyundai.

#40 ·
.4MB/Sec! 13+ hours! Yikes! Sounds like a 1984 dialup. :) Took me about 7 minutes!

#39 ·
I completed the "2020 Kia Soul Map Update 146U5W" on my vehicle. Total time to install was just under 30 minutes. Be aware the update is identified as "146U5W" or more casually as "Version 14," but when installed you'll see either the version is "NAM.13.47.44.680.201" or a newer version where more minor changes/corrections have been included.

#42 ·
I did the update a few days ago and what I got was V13.47. It took about an hour to download to hard drive. Then about 90 minutes to transfer to USB stick. Then a whopping 2 hours to transfer from USB stick to my EX.
We are lucky. Some car manufacturers will only allow map updates do @ the dealership for $200.

#46 ·
Do you still have your USB? Can you check how much storage was used on it?
Yes, I guess there was an error, I deleted all of the programs involved from my computer and the USB drive and downloaded every thing again. It took 1 hour 5 minutes to download, 5 minutes to install on the computer, then 15 minutes to load on the USB stick. 27 minutes to load on the head unit in the car and reboot. Hurray. It’s done.

I think the reason the download is so slow is the servers Kia has the program loaded on. My normal download speed is about 20-25 mb/sec.
My typical download speed is the same as yours - 20+ MB/sec. Yet, it took 13.5 hours to download from the map site. I let it run overnight. Weird.

#43 ·
I have downloaded the update and transferred it to a USB drive to install on my 2020 EX. When I try to install it, I get an error message stating update files not found. The current version in the system is 12.13.... Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.