Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
308 Posts
I did the update a few days ago and what I got was V13.47. It took about an hour to download to hard drive. Then about 90 minutes to transfer to USB stick. Then a whopping 2 hours to transfer from USB stick to my EX.
We are lucky. Some car manufacturers will only allow map updates do @ the dealership for $200.

· Registered
701 Posts
I have downloaded the update and transferred it to a USB drive to install on my 2020 EX. When I try to install it, I get an error message stating update files not found. The current version in the system is 12.13.... Any ideas?

· Registered
308 Posts
I have downloaded the update and transferred it to a USB drive to install on my 2020 EX. When I try to install it, I get an error message stating update files not found. The current version in the system is 12.13.... Any ideas?
I don't know if this would work but "maybe" if you format the USB stick and start from the beginning. Download onto hard drive then transfer to USB and try it again. Sometimes a little error of some sort could have happened.

· Registered
701 Posts
I don't know if this would work but "maybe" if you format the USB stick and start from the beginning. Download onto hard drive then transfer to USB and try it again. Sometimes a little error of some sort could have happened.
Yes, I guess there was an error, I deleted all of the programs involved from my computer and the USB drive and downloaded every thing again. It took 1 hour 5 minutes to download, 5 minutes to install on the computer, then 15 minutes to load on the USB stick. 27 minutes to load on the head unit in the car and reboot. Hurray. It’s done.

I think the reason the download is so slow is the servers Kia has the program loaded on. My normal download speed is about 20-25 mb/sec.

· Registered
457 Posts
I did the update a few days ago and what I got was V13.47. It took about an hour to download to hard drive. Then about 90 minutes to transfer to USB stick. Then a whopping 2 hours to transfer from USB stick to my EX.
We are lucky. Some car manufacturers will only allow map updates do @ the dealership for $200.
Do you still have your USB? Can you check how much storage was used on it?
Yes, I guess there was an error, I deleted all of the programs involved from my computer and the USB drive and downloaded every thing again. It took 1 hour 5 minutes to download, 5 minutes to install on the computer, then 15 minutes to load on the USB stick. 27 minutes to load on the head unit in the car and reboot. Hurray. It’s done.

I think the reason the download is so slow is the servers Kia has the program loaded on. My normal download speed is about 20-25 mb/sec.
My typical download speed is the same as yours - 20+ MB/sec. Yet, it took 13.5 hours to download from the map site. I let it run overnight. Weird.

· Registered
701 Posts
Do you still have your USB? Can you check how much storage was used on it?

My typical download speed is the same as yours - 20+ MB/sec. Yet, it took 13.5 hours to download from the map site. I let it run overnight. Weird.
After reading the comments on download times from Kia’s website, I’m pretty convinced that the reason for the lengthy download times, which seem to be universal, are with Kia’s computers and servers. I am surprised how long it took to load unto your USB drive and onto your EX. It only took about 15 minutes to have my computer transfer the appropriate files to the USB stick and, as mentioned, 27 minutes to get it unto the head unit using the “quick” method. It did provide a complete update.
By the way the size of the file on my USB stick was 23.6 gb

· Registered
308 Posts
After reading the comments on download times from Kia’s website, I’m pretty convinced that the reason for the lengthy download times, which seem to be universal, are with Kia’s computers and servers. I am surprised how long it took to load unto your USB drive and onto your EX. It only took about 15 minutes to have my computer transfer the appropriate files to the USB stick and, as mentioned, 27 minutes to get it unto the head unit using the “quick” method. It did provide a complete update.
It's an older laptop.

· Registered
308 Posts
I didn't do the quick method. I did the full update onto the EX

· Registered
6 Posts
There is a map AND SYSTEM update coming out in a few days I am wondering if KIA includes any free map updates with a a new vehicle.
The NAV is no big deal as there are so many other options but there also will be a ent system upgrade with it (and probably other stuff likely BT and Carplay ???).
Don't upgrade. It is free, but... takes forever to download, took me over four hours to upload and install, and everything that changed was for the worse.
Lost the 3 screen view, you have to reset EVERYTHING- sound , map places, radio stations, etc.
Don't know what kia was thinking...
Jim

· Registered
33 Posts
Don't upgrade. It is free, but... takes forever to download, took me over four hours to upload and install, and everything that changed was for the worse.
Lost the 3 screen view, you have to reset EVERYTHING- sound , map places, radio stations, etc.
Jim
i had none of those issues. only thing wrong with mine is the weather part doesnt update. says need to call kia to activate. i dont use it so didnt bother. took 5 mins to install on mine

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Jim
Did you use their special download app per the instructions on their website? You either have a slow Internet connection or your internet provider is having problems or their servers are slow. I have a 300Mbps connection and it took around 10-15 minutes including loading to the thumb drive. Installation was under 25 mins. Maybe you have an older slower usb thumb drive as well? This was the 2nd one I downloaded and both were about the same speed.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
i had none of those issues. only thing wrong with mine is the weather part doesnt update. says need to call kia to activate. i dont use it so didnt bother. took 5 mins to install on mine
Did your UVO free subscription expire? Without that it won’t update and all you will get is the temperature from the sensor in your vehicle unless you pay their absurd renewal. No local weather.

· Registered
6 Posts
Did you use their special download app per the instructions on their website? You either have a slow Internet connection or your internet provider is having problems or their servers are slow. I have a 300Mbps connection and it took around 10-15 minutes including loading to the thumb drive. Installation was under 25 mins. Maybe you have an older slower usb thumb drive as well? This was the 2nd one I downloaded and both were about the same speed.
Thanks, new 3.0 thunbdrive, spectrum downloading at approx 50 maps. Worst was uploading into car, took over 4 hrs with car running

· Registered
13 Posts
If you still have your 3 panel screen, then you are not running the latest software, and you may want to keep it that way.

Original version had free weather from hd radio data populate the weather panel, August update (software from June2020) changed the weather widget panel to require UVO subscription. November update (October 2020) changed the whole UI (for the worse)

Budds is right about the changes, although mine didn't take that long to install, the download from internet to USB was about an hour, and 45 minutes to install in the car. I have a usb2 drive, will buy a new usb3 next time and see if that helps.

When I did the August update mine did take 3 hours to install from USB to the car. I had to call mapnsoft for help and they were about to walk me through resetting when it finished.

· Registered
701 Posts
I downloaded it the end of November and installEd 1 December. I’m not too pleased. I don’t like the purple color, you can’t really see the small map. There’s a big blank spot in the middle now. the Radio tuning buttons are way too small for easy use while driving and hile I sort of like the nixie tube displa, I preferred the display on the August 2020 update better. Losing the radio presets was a pain. I really don’t need multiple drivers either. Too bad there is no way to go back to the previous version and keep the maps.
for what it’s wort, it took me about 1 hour to download the update using the app directly to a USB drive and about 25-30 minutes to install it in the car.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts