Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul inferno red GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topped up my cars 1/2 tank of gas and was driving home around 60 Kim’s CEL came on and car was running rough. Pulled over and it wouldn’t idol properly kept feeling like it was going to stall. Checked gas cap and it was on tight. Any ideas or suggestions? Only 10000km on car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Topped up my cars 1/2 tank of gas and was driving home around 60 Kim’s CEL came on and car was running rough. Pulled over and it wouldn’t idol properly kept feeling like it was going to stall. Checked gas cap and it was on tight. Any ideas or suggestions? Only 10000km on car
Gas could just be a coincidence. Have an auto parts store pull the code.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Great answer! Back in the day, we'd call that a "SWAG" (ScientificWildAssedGuess).
Hey, I've made a few of those myself, back in the day. It's ok, if you can turn that into a fix.
But today, I think I'd just take the car to the KIA Dealer for diagnosis, and hopefully a repair.
Remember.....We do have a huge Warranty! Use it....there's no-one here that's going to fix it for you.

If a car is being filled up with Gasoline that contains 10% Ethanol, like we have there in FL, there should never be any Water laying in the gas tank. Ethanol absorbs water and moves it right on through the fuel system. DO NOT USE "HEET" ! It's not Ethanol, it's Methanol and does not absorb water like Ethanol does.
I'd love to be the Mechanic, in a KIA garage, diagnosing that problem.
Diagnosing problems is what I used to do for a living.
And, I used to teach a course in, "System Fault Analysis".

Please, , , let us know how you do, getting that problem solved.

Cheers Mate,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Every dealer can test your gas, it is a $15 bottle with lines on it and you fill it to a line with water and the rest with gas from your fuel line and can see how much ethanol is in it and etc... I have seen a few purge valves that stick and cause this problem after a fill up but they most often throw a code and your warranty will fix that.

·
Registered
2020 Soul inferno red GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
Great answer! Back in the day, we'd call that a "SWAG" (ScientificWildAssedGuess).
Hey, I've made a few of those myself, back in the day. It's ok, if you can turn that into a fix.
But today, I think I'd just take the car to the KIA Dealer for diagnosis, and hopefully a repair.
Remember.....We do have a huge Warranty! Use it....there's no-one here that's going to fix it for you.

If a car is being filled up with Gasoline that contains 10% Ethanol, like we have there in FL, there should never be any Water laying in the gas tank. Ethanol absorbs water and moves it right on through the fuel system. DO NOT USE "HEET" ! It's not Ethanol, it's Methanol and does not absorb water like Ethanol does.

Cheers Mate,

·
Registered
2020 Soul inferno red GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Cheers Mate,
I sent my service guy an email hopefully I can get it into the dealership tomorrow. I will definitely let you know the results.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
108 Posts

Cheers Mate,
That reminds me. I used to teach a course on "Theoretical Physics" on the big bang theory.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts

Cheers Mate,
"One time in Band Camp".......

·
Registered
3 Posts

Cheers Mate,
Always take it to the dealer when still under warranty. We had a similar issue with the car accelerating rough with no power. Really slow pickup. Went to dealer and they did software upgrade but that didn’t resolve the issues. They ended up replacing the entire transmission (as I have read they have had to do a lot lately because of the IVT type engines. We have the 2019 Kia Soul LX model 1.8 liter engine (roughly 15K miles at time of issues) All repairs were covered under warranty by the dealer. Car is running smoothly again with no issues as of beginning of November.

·
Registered
2020 Soul inferno red GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had called the service department at Kia and they said to take it for a drive and see how it was running if there was any issues to bring it in. I took it for a ride and the light went out and it was running well. The service guy thinks possibly bad fuel or gas cap. I will keep an eye on it but after almost a week it has been running with no issues

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
I had called the service department at Kia and they said to take it for a drive and see how it was running if there was any issues to bring it in. I took it for a ride and the light went out and it was running well. The service guy thinks possibly bad fuel or gas cap. I will keep an eye on it but after almost a week it has been running with no issues
Gas cap should not be "tight." Turn just 1 click only (it also is printed on the cap). Any more can cause a CEL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dirty gas the culprit?..... maybe.
Possibly caused by a fuel tanker truck that was either there, or just left prior to your arrival. The tanker will stir the big tank as he fills it. You can make matters even worse by running the engine during your tank fill-up, had the tanker truck been dispensing new fuel, or had the tanker truck just left..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not fueling when a service station was being replenished was good advice until dispensing filters were added to each pump. So, a tanker being present should not discourage fueling, unless it's a small station out in the country that never upgraded their dispensing pumps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not fueling when a service station was being replenished was good advice until dispensing filters were added to each pump. So, a tanker being present should not discourage fueling, unless it's a small station out in the country that never upgraded their dispensing pumps.
Yur idea that a tanker present won't disturb your fueling, is nonsense. Read up on it in Google Search.

Three more things I missed in my post last night....

1. Pump filter (many times a Wix) could be clogged, thus bypassing & dispensing more contaminants into your tank.
2. Some pumps these days dispense at a super-high rate of speed. That will disturb the bottom of your gas tank, if you are filling with less than a quarter-tank remaining.
3) Look at the cement near the big underground fuel tanks. If the cement is all cracked up and holding yesterday's rain still, that's a sign rainwater is engulfing the outside of those underground storage tanks too. And if those tanks are old, that may eventually present a problem to your fuel tank.

In most-all situations where smooth engine running is hampered within 25 miles of your last fuel fill-up, it usually signals you picked up contaminants at that last fill-up. But it doesn't necessarily mean that those particles came from the gas station tank. It may have come from your own 15 gallon tank.

If I see the gas station pump handle is dispensing fuel too rapidly, I slow the trigger down manually.
Use common sense at the pumps folks. Don't think about your kids or job when dispensing. Pay attention to the immediate surroundings first & foremost.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yur idea that a tanker present won't disturb your fueling, is nonsense. Read up on it in Google Search.

Three more things I missed in my post last night....

1. Pump filter (many times a Wix) could be clogged, thus bypassing & dispensing more contaminants into your tank.
2. Some pumps these days dispense at a super-high rate of speed. That will disturb the bottom of your gas tank, if you are filling with less than a quarter-tank remaining.
3) Look at the cement near the big underground fuel tanks. If the cement is all cracked up and holding yesterday's rain still, that's a sign rainwater is engulfing the outside of those underground storage tanks too. And if those tanks are old, that may eventually present a problem to your fuel tank.

In most-all situations where smooth engine running is hampered within 25 miles of your last fuel fill-up, it usually signals you picked up contaminants at that last fill-up. But it doesn't necessarily mean that those particles came from the gas station tank. It may have come from your own 15 gallon tank.

If I see the gas station pump handle is dispensing fuel too rapidly, I slow the trigger down manually.
Use common sense at the pumps folks. Don't think about your kids or job when dispensing. Pay attention to the immediate surroundings first & foremost.
1. Pump filter (many times a Wix) could be clogged, thus bypassing & dispensing more contaminants into your tank. Possible, but not likely at a well-maintained higher volume station

2. Some pumps these days dispense at a super-high rate of speed. That will disturb the bottom of your gas tank, if you are filling with less than a quarter-tank remaining. Costco dispenses at such a high volume, it is challenging to fill a motor cycle tank, but never had any issues, although I usually refill about 3/8 tank. A tanker is present about 1/4 of the time I fill-up and no issues. Been filling up at this Costco since it was built, circa 2006; servicing 7 cars/trucks and 5 M/C during that time.

3) Look at the cement near the big underground fuel tanks. If the cement is all cracked up and holding yesterday's rain still, that's a sign rainwater is engulfing the outside of those underground storage tanks too. And if those tanks are old, that may eventually present a problem to your fuel tank. Explain? EPA has required leak detection systems for decades. Are you suggesting groundwater may enter tanks or somehow affect internal condensation?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If water in fuel tank, water being heavier than gasoline goes to bottom, where in-tank pump pickup is located.
A small amount of water may have already gone through the injection system and problem ended.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Advice on Google search heeded:

Bypass in a dispensing filter?

Your Dispenser Filter Might Be Trying to Tell You Something - Fuels Market News

Fuel Dispensing Troubleshooting - Husky

Newbies in the Gas Station Business: Fuel Dispenser Filter Basics – John W. Kennedy Company Blog

No indication of a bypass in a fuel dispensing filter.

But here are typical micron ratings:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Google search: Urban legends

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would not label your concerns as "nonsense" as you used in post 15, as they were very much a valid concern circa 1970s and prior.

While you are Googling, you may want to research what year dispensing filters became prevalent:

BTW, there is no harm in following your advice, but it is no longer necessary, especially at high volume modern service stations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts