Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Only a certain demographic, can afford the Kia Soul.
Um, the Soul is among the cheapest new cars available. If you can afford any new car, there's a Soul you can afford.

The target is youthful urban hipsters. Kia misses the target generation after generation and instead squarely hits the Baby Boomer generation. Why? Cheap/frugal, practical, they don't feel "entitled", they accept personal responsibility, understand cause and effect and tend towards rational rather than emotional decisions. Kia's intended audience instead feels they should not have too repay student loans accrued obtaining degrees that have zero income generating potential and nonetheless expect to own German luxury cars and to live in big houses in high cost of living areas. It's rather comical really just how far Kia's marketing and styling missed the mark. Old farts for the win, Kia!

·
Registered
81 Posts
So, the 2020 Soul has an Atkinson type of engine?
Yep. Many economy cars, not just Kias, now use Atkinson Cycle motors. The earlier generation hybrids like the Prius pioneered mass production of this type of motor, though Mazda had a single model several decades ago that also used an Atkinson Cycle motor. The reason for moving to this type of motor is efficiency, not power. In fact a non-hybrid Atkinson cycle ICE lacks low end punch explaining why the 2.0L Soul is so "unhurried" when the throttle is mashed.

On the plus side, the motor is more efficient than it would be if it were instead a traditional Otto 4-stroke. I'm still trying to get reliable clarity on why the EX model is more efficient than all other 2L IVT equipped Souls. From a marketing perspective the EX has unidentified "Eco-Dynamics" technologies that the others lack. Eco-Dynamics seems to be a blanket term that Kia uses to describe different types of fuel savings technologies that vary by Eco-Dynamics designated models, rather than any static set of technologies.

The end result is that the EX gets +2 mpg city, +2 mpg highway and +1 mpg combined. (29/35/31) . But I can't find anything definitive from Kia that explains specifically what the EX 2.0L Eco Dynamics Soul has that the other 2.0L Souls lack. I believe you also lose the better mpg if you go with the EX Premium package with the larger wheels and perhaps less good aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,911 Posts
Um, the Soul is among the cheapest new cars available. If you can afford any new car, there's a Soul you can afford.

The target is youthful urban hipsters. Kia misses the target generation after generation and instead squarely hits the Baby Boomer generation. Why? Cheap/frugal, practical, they don't feel "entitled", they accept personal responsibility, understand cause and effect and tend towards rational rather than emotional decisions. Kia's intended audience instead feels they should not have too repay student loans accrued obtaining degrees that have zero income generating potential and nonetheless expect to own German luxury cars and to live in big houses in high cost of living areas. It's rather comical really just how far Kia's marketing and styling missed the mark. Old farts for the win, Kia!
And don't forget, easy to get in and out of for old fartes :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
After riding motorcycles (sport bikes) for so many years, your average grocery getter should seem slow!
Much to my surprise the soul provides adequate acceleration when the go-pedal gets mashed.
While it may not be up on 1 wheel, tires smoking acceleration it certainly can get out of it's own way and merge safely ahead of pending doom in the rear-view.
Couple that with a quieter cabin, a better sorted suspension, better mpg's and (questionable) good looks and you've got a winner for the masses.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
After riding motorcycles (sport bikes) for so many years, your average grocery getter should seem slow!
Much to my surprise the soul provides adequate acceleration when the go-pedal gets mashed.
While it may not be up on 1 wheel, tires smoking acceleration it certainly can get out of it's own way and merge safely ahead of pending doom in the rear-view.
Couple that with a quieter cabin, a better sorted suspension, better mpg's and (questionable) good looks and you've got a winner for the masses.
Couldn't agree more, it can run pretty good. I had 2016SX Luxury with the 164HP motor and I was dismayed when the 2020 was announced with the 147HP motor. I thought what the hell we are going backward here, however when I actually had a test drive my fears about having less power disappeared, it actually feels more peppy than the 2016 did.
It is as you mention much more quiet and refined also, to me it also looks much better especially in the GT-Line trim. All in all I am a happy camper.

Pat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couldn't agree more, it can run pretty good. I had 2016SX Luxury with the 164HP motor and I was dismayed when the 2020 was announced with the 147HP motor. I thought what the hell we are going backward here, however when I actually had a test drive my fears about having less power disappeared, it actually feels more peppy than the 2016 did.
It is as you mention much more quiet and refined also, to me it also looks much better especially in the GT-Line trim. All in all I am a happy camper.

Pat.
Gen 3 vs. Gen 2, at least with automatic transmission in each, the 2020 is MUCH, MUCH (as in one and a half fat Americans) lighter than the last generation model. In addition to greater body stiffness, high strength steel allows the use of less material. In this case over 300# lighter. In automotive terms that's a huge weight savings. The 2020s save the weight without losing size or capacity, which is wonderful engineering on Kia's part.

I'm rather surprised that Hyundai and Kia didn't switch to high strength steel across all model lines long ago. The Hyundai Group is mainly a steel producer; motor vehicles are a side business for the conglomerate. They have a huge advantage over competitors in being able to get better steel at cost or nearly so since they are a producer.

I wouldn't call the 2020 2.0L with IVT "fast" by any stretch. But it's fair to call it safe and adequate in acceleration. In the segment (freaky styled pseudo SUVs) it's actually on the fast end - it eats Toyota C-HRs for lunch. The Toyota is so slow as to qualify as unsafe/dangerous for freeway on-boarding in my opinion (0-60 takes more than 10 seconds). The 2.0L Soul is about 2 full seconds faster to 60 than the C-HR.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've never been able to personally check the 0 to 60 speed of my little Jem. But I do know that she gets there fast enough to get me in trouble, since most of the speed limits around here are only 50 to 55 mph.
When I'm pulling out onto the highway, into traffic, I put the pedal to the metal and then just hang on for dear life. Within just a few seconds, 60 mph flashed by and I know it's time to get my foot off of the gas pedal.
My 2013 Soul would never do that.
Getting onto the Interstate is a different matter. If there is no-one blocking my path, Jem can easily hit 80mph by the time she gets to the top of the entrance ramp. That's about the right speed for entering traffic on I-75.

I think I'll keep her!

Cheers mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Me either.
I have never floored it from 0 to 60. But I have used 'floored' passing gear once-a-month, on ramps getting onto the freeway. But that MPH-thrust generally starts around 30MPH and completes at about 70-75MPH.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
@FLH: Yeah, I like to stomp on it too when entering a multiple lane highway.

Kinda off topic but what do you think of folks who leisurely access the freeway at 20 to 30 mph under the posted speed limit?

FWIW, I never felt that our 2.0 litre 2015 Soul was under-powered. It can scream loudly if running at over 4,000 rpms while passing but it more than does the job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@FLH: Yeah, I like to stomp on it too when entering a multiple lane highway.

Kinda off topic but what do you think of folks who leisurely access the freeway at 20 to 30 mph under the posted speed limit?

FWIW, I never felt that our 2.0 litre 2015 Soul was under-powered. It can scream loudly if running at over 4,000 rpms while passing but it more than does the job.
Totally agree. It's not under-powered by any stretch. It has ample power even with passengers to safely accelerate to freeway speeds and merge with the flow of traffic.

In several US states it's an infraction to drive more than 15 mph below the posted speed limit if the flow of traffic permits driving at the limit, though tickets for this particular offense are pretty rare I suspect.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I can't stand it! Either being behind them on the onramp or watching them merge their slow ass into freeway speed traffic.

It's rude. Do they think that the rest of the cars on the freeway are supposed to adjust to their leisurely merge maneuver? Clearly they missed THAT part of driving school. It's your job to merge into traffic at the speed of traffic, not the other way around. Ding ding ding.

Last part of rant, which is a huge problem in this area, is cars not merging in an "every other car" formation. Honestly, I'll see onramps to my right where it looks like a train is merging. Which only leads to everyone slamming on their brakes because, um, that doesn't work.

I just laugh in their general direction :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't stand it! Either being behind them on the onramp or watching them merge their slow ass into freeway speed traffic.

It's rude. Do they think that the rest of the cars on the freeway are supposed to adjust to their leisurely merge maneuver? Clearly they missed THAT part of driving school. It's your job to merge into traffic at the speed of traffic, not the other way around. Ding ding ding.

Last part of rant, which is a huge problem in this area, is cars not merging in an "every other car" formation. Honestly, I'll see onramps to my right where it looks like a train is merging. Which only leads to everyone slamming on their brakes because, um, that doesn't work.

I just laugh in their general direction :ROFLMAO:
I remember when Priuses were popular around here. The hypermilers were obnoxious.

With respect to merging, though, technically no one has to let you merge. Alternating every other car is a courtesy in the form of a surrendered right of way by the traffic already on the highway. Legally merging traffic is obligated to yield to through traffic and merge only if and when it is possible to do so without requiring braking or lane changes by the drivers with the right of way.

Whenever you're merging you need to be defensive and not assume anyone will let you in. The don't have to and if they do, they are doing you a favor.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I remember when Priuses were popular around here. The hypermilers were obnoxious.

With respect to merging, though, technically no one has to let you merge. Alternating every other car is a courtesy in the form of a surrendered right of way by the traffic already on the highway. Legally merging traffic is obligated to yield to through traffic and merge only if and when it is possible to do so without requiring braking or lane changes by the drivers with the right of way.

Whenever you're merging you need to be defensive and not assume anyone will let you in. The don't have to and if they do, they are doing you a favor.
Exactly. Merging at freeway speed of traffic is the obligation of the vehicle merging. However that doesn't seem to be a concern, on the mind of or in the skill set of many drivers.

It amazes me the ones getting on at 20 mph slower than traffic & somehow expect the Red Sea to part for them.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts