Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,762 Posts
My point exactly...this car should be able to alert the owner to an oil issue long before it becomes a real catastrophic issue
That's why my dad used to call them "idiot lights."

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So, the 2020 Soul has an Atkinson type of engine?
That's what I read, shortly after buying my 2020 Soul.
So I had to go web diving, to find out what the heck an Atkinson type engine is. I also found out that the older Soul 2.0 engines were of the Otto type.

After KIA put out a recall on the 2013 (Gen-1) 1.6L engine, I was surprised to hear that they had picked that same engine to put the Turbo on. I just hope they fixed the cause of that recall. I didn't stick around long enough to find out.
At my age and pay grade, it was the only sensible thing I could do. (trade up to a 2020 Soul)
This NEW engine is a real Power House! I'm still looking around for a place where I can get my little Jem Dyno Tested.
Someplace that won't charge me an arm and a leg.
The shop where I got my 2013 Dyno Tested is out of business. They only charged me $50 for two pulls.

:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Typically, when low on oil, the owner should hear a tick in the motor......I have not heard a tick in many years...I suspect had I never checked the oil in the 2020 Soul.....I would have heard a tick

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's what I read, shortly after buying my 2020 Soul.
So I had to go web diving, to find out what the heck an Atkinson type engine is. I also found out that the older Soul 2.0 engines were of the Otto type.

After KIA put out a recall on the 2013 (Gen-1) 1.6L engine, I was surprised to hear that they had picked that same engine to put the Turbo on. I just hope they fixed the cause of that recall. I didn't stick around long enough to find out.
At my age and pay grade, it was the only sensible thing I could do. (trade up to a 2020 Soul)
This NEW engine is a real Power House! I'm still looking around for a place where I can get my little Jem Dyno Tested.
Someplace that won't charge me an arm and a leg.
The shop where I got my 2013 Dyno Tested is out of business. They only charged me $50 for two pulls.

From what I’ve read, the Atkinson cycle engine is more fuel efficient that the Otto cycle engine, it has something to do with the power stroke and how long the exhaust ports are open in relation to the length of time the intake ports are open. However, Atkinson cycle engines do not develop the Power of an Otto cycle engine.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Really should not have to check the oil on a new car, but it is a good Idea. Had I not checked mine on my 2020, it would have been mighty low by now. I would think that an Idiot light might come on at some point...I know it would on our 74 Ford Gran Torino Wagon when it was low....I would think sensors have come a long way since then..lol
My other car, and my last car, both Audi's, had a warning light when the oil is 1 quart down. I wish all cars did that

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The 2.0L engine in my 2020 Soul sure has MORE power than the 1.6L engine in my 2013. That's maybe not a really good comparison, but it's the best I can do.
Over all, my 2020 Soul is a lot faster, and a lot quicker, than my 2013 was. I do love her! :love:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My other car, and my last car, both Audi's, had a warning light when the oil is 1 quart down. I wish all cars did that
That’s because they have sensors that monitor oil level and display it on the MMI infotainment screen. No physical dipstick.
Mine was never consistent and I never trusted it. Plus sensors can fail.
I’ll take a dipstick any time. Gets me to open the hood at least once a week and check things out.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
That’s because they have sensors that monitor oil level and display it on the MMI infotainment screen. No physical dipstick.
I’ll take a dipstick any time. Gets me to open the hood at least once a week and check things out.
Without "sensors" you've got no car these days.
Sensors for speed, sensors for emissions, sensors for sensors and most importantly sensors for the senseless!

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
31 Posts
I think the car needs to sit for an hour or more to get a true oil level reading. I check my cars oil in the morning when it's been sitting over night. That way the dipstick will tell you the truth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without "sensors" you've got no car these days.
Sensors for speed, sensors for emissions, sensors for sensors and most importantly sensors for the senseless!
So true. But for something as important as oil level I still trust the dipstick above a combination of sensors. There is an aftermarket dipstick available for Audis and I was about to get one before I decided to trade it. At least that way you can verify.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I do use the dipstick on my A8 (especially after a new oil change) and did on my A4. But there was one time when I was working for a start-up company, was very busy and traveling, by car, a lot. I was on my way to Peoria and the low oil level light came on. I stopped at a gas station, checked the level and added a quart (I carried the required VW spec oil with me).

It seems to me there have been more than one engine blown on this forum because the owner didn't realize they were very low on oil. A sensor might have spared those engines and/or clued them into the fact they were encountering excessive oil use, which could have prompted them to notify Kia service and put a watch on it.

So I'll take a deep stick AND a sensor any day of the week. Belt and suspenders.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Remember the days when we could:
1-Check our own tire pressure.
2-Check our own transmission fluid.
3-Open/close our windows by hand.
4-Interact with fellow human beings.
5-Write letters.
6-Make phone calls.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Remember the days when we could:
1-Check our own tire pressure.
2-Check our own transmission fluid.
3-Open/close our windows by hand.
4-Interact with fellow human beings.
5-Write letters.
6-Make phone calls.
Being born in 1959, I remember those days well and fondly. However, I love my technology!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Old guys buying these cars....I would think the demographic would be much younger...All I see driving them too are old guys....like myself...lol....Well actually my wife, its her car

41 - 60 of 70 Posts