Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Kia Soul LX while driving car stopped all lights came on, check engine , oil all those type of things car starts. It’s a brand new car so it’s not time for an oil change . Also no light came on saying that it needed a change. Took it back to the dealership, they tell me there’s No Oil!!. It’s a new car where’s the oil? So now they have had my car for 3 weeks while they come up with different scenarios of it being my fault that my new car had no oil, it seems an warning oil light should have come on at least.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,750 Posts
Can you elaborate more on how they believe it's your fault?

It's important to remember that there is a distinct difference between "time for an oil change" and "checking the oil level." They are not mutually exclusive.

Some owners believe you can't run out of oil if it was changed recently. You can.

In your case, it may have been something negligent on the part of the person changing the oil. A loose drain plug or filter. Maybe they didn't put enough, or any, oil in.

On this forum we try to preach that it is ultimately up to the owner to check their oil level. That's true right after an oil change as well.

When was the last time you checked your oil level? Where was it at? This will help in your case with Kia.

All the best to you and good luck with getting your car fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
7,940 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!! Sorry to hear about your issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought a new Kia Soul LX while driving car stopped all lights came on, check engine , oil all those type of things car starts. It’s a brand new car so it’s not time for an oil change . Also no light came on saying that it needed a change. Took it back to the dealership, they tell me there’s No Oil!!. It’s a new car where’s the oil? So now they have had my car for 3 weeks while they come up with different scenarios of it being my fault that my new car had no oil, it seems an warning oil light should have come on at least.
Brand new?.... as in.....
Hours old?
Days old?
Weeks old?

Which one?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
200 Posts
Hi Itsme, Welcome to the forum. If you stick around and make some effort, you might learn a few things that will save you time and money down the road.

Among other things... the Soul 2020 IVT transmission (intelligent variable transmission), are prone to early failure and Kia dealerships replacing the IVT with another identical one.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hi Itsme, Welcome to the forum.

Among other things... the Soul 2020 IVT transmission (intelligent variable transmission), are prone to early failure and Kia dealerships replacing the IVT with another identical one.
This is somewhat misleading, there have been some failures, but a relatively small number out of thousands that are in daily use, to say they are prone to failure is vastly overstating the incidence.

Pat.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Oil Change? Why is that even mentioned on a NEW car?
As part of the Dealer Setup on a NEW car, the oil should have been checked and topped off if required.
But filling the engine with oil is a standard part of manufacturing, so where'd the oil go?
Something is missing here, somewhere. As Johnny 5 would say, "MORE INPUT!".

:cool:

·
Registered
767 Posts
This is somewhat misleading, there have been some failures, but a relatively small number out of thousands that are in daily use, to say they are prone to failure is vastly overstating the incidence.

Pat.
I agree in general, but I've been on this board since purchasing my 2015 ! (Five years) and I can't remember anyone reporting an automatic transmission failure (could have missed it tho). The IVT is new to the 2020 and we have something approaching two dozen. I would still purchase one (because of the warranty and a belief they'll make some revisions) if my primary use was local driving, but I travel 2,200 miles across country one to two times per year and I'd hate to have a failure halfway through the drive. Not sure how that would work, especially if a replacement wasn't in stock. I'm going to look at the new Sorento when it comes out (if the Rona doesn't kill the economy)

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2020 Kia Soul. The same thing happened to me. Engine light came on. I took it in and they said it just needed a system update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Itsme,
I'm curious how this turned out.
Despite what some people have said in response to your post, there is NO scenario that could be your fault in which a new Kia Soul should have no oil. I don't care if it's three days or three months old. If all the oil drained out or burned up before the first oil change was even due, there was something seriously wrong with the vehicle when you bought it. Especially if the oil pressure light didn't come on. The Soul is a really good car; I've had my 2016 since it was new and still love it as much as the day I got it off the showroom floor. I hope this experience doesn't sour you to the vehicle.

I do think it's a shame that, based on reading posts in these forums over the past couple of years, it seems that the level of service varies tremendously from dealership to dealership. Gary Rome Kia in Enfield CT where I bought and have my Soul serviced has astonishing customer service; they always bend over backwards to be helpful and to make things right . Which earns them incredibly loyal customers like myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Itsme, Welcome to the forum. If you stick around and make some effort, you might learn a few things that will save you time and money down the road.

What does this have to do with the engine issue reported by the OP?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Itsme hasn't bothered to answer any questions or return after 1 post. Hopefully they can return and shed more light on the story and possible update.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
We've been here before! Hit and run!

Same O, Same O!

:cool:
I agree FL. Whether it's fair or not, on a Forum, if you come on once and complain about a catastrophic event, then go silent, you look like a Troll.

We invited the OP to return and share their experience. That way we all learn something.

Crickets 🦗🦗🦗

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
WELL, just to add a thought to this stalled out thread. I see that many readers and posters, seem to think that the 2.0L engine in the 2020 Soul, is still the same engine that was in the Souls of the Gen-2 era. Not so McGee!

It's a completely NEW engine. This was discussed in depth right after the Gen-3 Soul first came out in 2019.

I had to do quite a bit of web searching to completely understand the difference, between the two types of engines.
It was not something which I had ever had to deal with before. But in short, the Gen-3, 2.0L engine is more efficient and more powerful than the older Gen-2 engine.

Nuff said!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

FLH :cool:
PS: For more info on the "Atkinson Cycle" engine. Look here:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts