Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down an interstate hwy at 55 mph when suddenly the transmission failed, dropped to very low gear and stopped in hwy, tractor 18 wheeler directly behind me had to
swerve to avoid collision along with other vehicles behind me.

Kia did fix problem, new transmission, and that was all they did.

No concern for wife and I about being slammed into the dashboard or anything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take them to arbitration. You probably signed for that as part of the purchase depending on where you are, but the reality is that if they are simply replacing transmissions and not handling the problem, it's only a matter of time before someone is killed. If nobody starts the process they will continue to pretend it's a QC issue and not a life-or-death one.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
Driving down an interstate hwy at 55 mph when suddenly the transmission failed, dropped to very low gear and stopped in hwy, tractor 18 wheeler directly behind me had to

No concern for wife and I about being slammed into the dashboard or anything else.
Glad you guys are ok. It's too bad they can't complete the customer service circle, it really costs very little for a manager to come out and apologize and/or express concern. A free Kia blanket (for example) and a hug (not that that's possible theses days) for those that need it can go a long ways to mend a bad vehicle experience.

At least you got a new transmission to replace the defective one. You'll probably need to take that as a WIN and move on. It will take awhile for the bad taste to disappear, but I doubt litigation will lead anywhere but to prolonged pain for you.

All the best!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
At least you got a new transmission to replace the defective one. You'll probably need to take that as a WIN and move on. It will take awhile for the bad taste to disappear, but I doubt litigation will lead anywhere but prolonged pain for you.
Agreed. The cheapest revenge with the longest lasting impact on behaviour is political. Write letters and emails to the Kia dealership, Kia USA and then copy the entire world from government regulators to local, state and federal politicians to auto magazines and websites including consumer website.

Set up a staged strategy. Start with the dealership and then graduate to the national and international offices. Start with local media and politicians and then include the entire country. The US market is more than important enough to Kia but if you really want to add to the company's grief, copy Kia, regulators and other relevant media in other countries.

It will take some time and effort but very little money. Concise, civil English is good; proof readers are not just good but an absolute must.

The OP may not have the inclination to follow this path. It could involve some learning. (Not everybody reads Saul Alinsky when they are 15 years old....) Do it right and you could cause Kia USA to lose millions. North American consumers have a lot of potential power and influence if they know how to exercise it. In fact, I recall that once upon a time, the US lead the world in influential consumer-based political activism and in the process much of the world benefited. Lives were saved. Yeah..... there is an implicit thank you in there. 😊

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
Agreed. The cheapest revenge with the longest lasting impact on behaviour is political. Write letters and emails to the Kia dealership, Kia USA and then copy the entire world from government regulators to local, state and federal politicians to auto magazines and websites including consumer website.

Set up a staged strategy. Start with the dealership and then graduate to the national and international offices. Start with local media and politicians and then include the entire country. The US market is more than important enough to Kia but if you really want to add to the company's grief, copy Kia, regulators and other relevant media in other countries.

It will take some time and effort but very little money. Concise, civil English is good; proof readers are not just good but an absolute must.

The OP may not have the inclination to follow this path. It could involve some learning. (Not everybody reads Saul Alinsky when they are 15 years old....) Do it right and you could cause Kia USA to lose millions. North American consumers have a lot of potential power and influence if they know how to exercise it. In fact, I recall that once upon a time, the US lead the world in influential consumer-based political activism and in the process much of the world benefited. Lives were saved. Yeah..... there is an implicit thank you in there. 😊
So true Westslope. It was true in 1839 when Edward Bulwer Lytton coined the phrase "the pen is mightier than the sword” and still true today. Great advice.

Reactions: mikewo6o

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
Totally in agreement GeoSoul. The pen is indeed mightier than sword. The problem with political violence -- the sword -- is that it is very easy to lose control of the narrative.

Let's assume we can easily come to some common definition of what it means to be "oppressed". Virtually all oppressed groups who took up violence in the post-war period have not fared well. The one exception may be the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese who emerged victorious. That victory came at the cost of 3 million dead Vietnamese. For context, note that many Americans are still upset that 50,000 American soldiers lost their lives in Vietnam. 50K is 1.7% of 3 million.

Virtually all other violent groups of national liberation around the world have been total, abject failures and have directly contributed to the significant suffering of the populations of ordinary folks they intended to help.

It is really sad that so many of our fellow citizens in both Canada and the USA still believe that political violence is both righteous and effective. Here in British Columbia, I have lots of sympathy for First Nations but zero respect for Red Fascists. As far as I can tell most First Nations do not support anti-democratic, violent activism by a small minority.

Back to the topic of putting pressure on companies like Kia. Near the end of the second decade of the 21st century, corporate social responsibility, social license and related concepts have become increasingly the norm. Companies are bending over backwards to get along with everybody. This is particularly important for resource companies but also for manufacturers, especially those who manufacture dangerous consumer goods such as automobiles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you guys are ok. It's too bad they can't complete the customer service circle, it really costs very little for a manager to come out and apologize and/or express concern. A free Kia blanket (for example) and a hug (not that that's possible theses days) for those that need it can go a long ways to mend a bad vehicle experience.

At least you got a new transmission to replace the defective one. You'll probably need to take that as a WIN and move on. It will take awhile for the bad taste to disappear, but I doubt litigation will lead anywhere but to prolonged pain for you.

All the best!
Thanks for the comment, KIA really did nothing and a no care attitude .

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

PS...If you went from "55 mph to a low gear" and you both "slammed the dashboard" I'd be talking to Kia about those seat belt tensioners as well...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sucks to have that happen with a new vehicle or any vehicle for that matter, especially when you can be in a situation that could be dangerous. I doubt any company would have gone beyond replacing the transmission. At least the dealer takes care of that so you don't have to deal directly with Kia. They are the worst car company I have ever dealt with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sucks to have that happen with a new vehicle or any vehicle for that matter, especially when you can be in a situation that could be dangerous. I doubt any company would have gone beyond replacing the transmission. At least the dealer takes care of that so you don't have to deal directly with Kia. They are the worst car company I have ever dealt with.
The dealer was ok with me, advised me to go get KIA motors main office, got no where with them.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,571 Posts
The dealer was ok with me, advised me to go get KIA motors main office, got no where with them.
KIA Motors in California is 100% useless from my recent experience. Paid off loan Feb 28, never got so much as a computerized ping saying thanks so much for your business, sucker. Inquiries finally got a reply saying my title would be mailed withing two weeks.

Never happened, texts go unanswered and phone is perpetual hold. This is not how you treat customers if you plan on being in business in five or 10 years.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Duh, , , are you saying that you used 'KIA Finance' ? Did you even have a choice?
I had a great finance guy, who set me up with a local Credit Union, at much lower interest than KIA Finance.
They have been great!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Duh, , , are you saying that you used 'KIA Finance' ? Did you even have a choice?
I had a great finance guy, who set me up with a local Credit Union, at much lower interest than KIA Finance.
They have been great!
:cool:
They can be persuasive, though.

I walked into the dealership with pre-approvals from Navy Fed and USAA when I bought my 2016. After an hour or so of haggling during which we still didn't have a deal, KIA Finance said, "How about this?" and gave me 0.0 percent -- plus they subsumed the balance on the 2012 into the new loan.

That and a bunch of discounts they dug up brought the loan payment down to an offer I couldn't refuse.

It pays to buy cars in October.

--Richard

·
Registered
549 Posts
They can be persuasive, though.

I walked into the dealership with pre-approvals from Navy Fed and USAA when I bought my 2016. After an hour or so of haggling during which we still didn't have a deal, KIA Finance said, "How about this?" and gave me 0.0 percent -- plus they subsumed the balance on the 2012 into the new loan.

That and a bunch of discounts they dug up brought the loan payment down to an offer I couldn't refuse.

It pays to buy cars in October.

--Richard
Or during a pandemic.....

·
Registered
4 Posts

Take a look at other threads, and you will see (especially it if it s a GT-Line) Kia has been having problems with the transmissions since the end of last year. I have a 2016 base with a 6 spd manual, love my Soul, and was seriously considering a 2020 GT-Line until I saw all of the threads about the transmission. One gentleman had to wait a month for a new one to be shipped from Korea. Could not even drive his vehicle that he had owned less than 90 days. For me, I am really hesitant to buy especially a Soul from Kia right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2020 GT 2.0L. After a few hundred miles I was questioning the alignment so I brought it in for service. I was surprised to learn when I brought it in that there had been a "recall" on the IVT. I was told they would update some software and if the update "took", I would be all set, otherwise I would need a new transmission on a car I bought 2 weeks ago! They said the update did the trick and the IVT was tested to function properly. This did not address my alignment concerns but that's another thread.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts