Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..Im new here ! I wanted to know the difference between the non gdi 2.0 in the 12-13 models and the 2020 2.0 Thanks

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
The new 2020's use an "Atkinson" cycle engine where the 2012/2013's did not.
Though the H.P. & torque numbers are significantly higher for the earlier models the 2020's actually get the job done a fraction faster than before.
As big a change as the motor is, so too is the transmission with the use of a CVT over the conventional 6 speed automatic.
Coming from a 2.0 2012 I can tell you that the 2020 is deceptively quicker if even by a hair.
The car is fairly docile but when you step on the go pedal...it goes!
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your view, progress never stands still and the Atkinson cycle and the CVT are case in point progress where the 2020 soul is concerned.
Test drive one and put it through it's paces and you will be pleasantly surprised how well it accomplishes the task at hand.
There will always be a shaking out period with issues arising as new technology takes a foothold and some warming up to.
Having owned the 2012 for 7+ years, I did grow accustom to it good-bad-indifferent.
I'm still warming up to our 2020 and it's exactly a year since we purchased it.
I truly am a creature of habit and some habits just take longer to make or break than others I guess.
It's (still) a great little car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts